Teeth Cleaning

tlc

I'm a bit embarrassed that vets would actually suggest brushing them............ How ridiculous. ... I mean, it's fine if people want to brush their dogs teeth. I just think it's a bit OTT for a vet to say that's what someone MUST do - because bones do the job just fine. IF you have concerns about blockages etc then go ahead and brush, but no one should pretend it's the only option.

To say that chewing a bone is like us eating an apple is rubbish.

Generally speaking, if a dog's teeth are ok, I agree that there's no need to brush. And my first recommendation to anyone would be offering the dog bones and asking if this is already done (and what type of bones). If this is already done, or if there is an issue with the dog eating bones regularly or at all, then yes, the dog needs more, if its teeth aren't in the state of health they should or could be, and brushing its teeth wouldn't be a ridiculous recommendation in those instances.

I don't see anything wrong with the Vet saying that eating a bone is like eating an apple. It's an analogy only - at least that's how I hear it. The general lay person doesn't need to know about the movement of a dog's mouth in the process of chewing a bone. I could imagine the Vet simply trying to conjur an image - people well know that apples are recommended to people for oral health. If a person will think a bone is doing what an apple might to us, what's the problem? Maybe I have missed something along the way in these posts?

Edited by Erny

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what the vet was getting at was the fact that the bone only acts as an apple would to our teeth and just generally brush over the surface and not give them a good scrub like a tooth brush would?? But I do disagree with this as I think if the dogs are having the right bones then they should be doing a sufficient enough job to clean the teeth perfectly. I think in my case maybe my lot are not getting enough bones. I keep thinking back to our old dog whose teeth were near to perfect for 16 years he knawed on his bone every day for ages, so it worked for him!!

edited to add, I guess in my case with my lot if I don't give them more bones to clean thier teeth better than they are now, then it is like them eating an apple cause it is not doing the proper job.

Edited by tlc

I asked my vet about Scout's teeth last fortnight, as I though the back ones were getting a bit of a slight stain to them.

She told me to feed her more bones :rofl:

The other male vet has also told me previously (when I was worried about her weight) to drop the kibble and just feed the raw :laugh:

Edited by black magic