Teeth Cleaning

tlc

Hi Guys, just to follow on from charleswentworths thread about tooth paste, which by the way is a big coincidence. I went to the vet this morning with two of mine for yearly Vacc/check up. And we discussed in great length the dogs teeth, while the youngest teeth were in perfect condition, Lacys Teeth were not as good, not totally bad but could be better, they have bones that they have to chew on for ages and also chicken wings necks etc.

The vet likened the dogs chewing a bone to us eating an apple. So she wants me to brush Lacys Teeth, she gave me a little thimble type thing to use. So my question to you guys is

1.do you brush your dogs teeth? if you do.....

2.how often?

3.do you use doggy tooth paste??

4. does your dog enjoy it or is it a chore?

Our old dog was 16 and he had great teeth all his life and they never needed brushing and I am using basically the same diet with the dogs I have now.

On a side note, I was a bit chuffed as the vet commented on how well behaved Bronson and Lacy were and how good they were with ear checking and teeth checking and she also scraped a bit of stuff off Lacys teeth and she said usually dogs don't tolerate that, and she doesn't see a lot of dogs that are so keen and easy to check over. So all the time put in when they are youngsters with handling etc does really pay off in the long run!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The vet likened the dogs chewing a bone to us eating an apple.

The vet obviously doesn't eat REALLY chewy apples ;)

Our dogs have big bits of all sorts of carcasses- which they need to chew on a lot to eat. I am talking the sideways gnawing, using those moalrs, and exposing the tooth surfaces to teh abrasive action of the tendons/bones/skin, etc.

A couple of crunches on a wing won't do anything- it's that side action which cleans teeth... like removing the meat from a leg, or a head of something, before crunching the bone :)

Glad your guys were well behaved ;)

I concur with the "bones are best" view.

However, there are times when dogs might not be able to (or won't) chew on bones and in those instances, yes, I think cleaning their teeth will assist in helping at least to keep the gums hygienic and less open to disease.

My boy has eating issues at the moment and has the tendancy to not eat meat that is fresh and rich. Even a marrow bone with little to no meat on it only sometimes gets him interested. I have begun to clean his teeth with one of those rubber thimble thingy's, and Colloidal Silver. Not as good nor as thorough as bones by any stretch, but better than nothing.

Edited by Erny

I had this exact same conversation with my vet ;) and I'm meant to brush Chips teeth everyday ;) But so far I haven't even bought the toothpaste yet :) I am happy to do it a few times a week but everyday seems a bit much to be honest.I would rather feed them more bones so what kinds of bones do you all feed to help with the tooth cleanning since the wings and necks don't do anything?

My dogs get plenty of bones, but I always still will find a small portion of built up tartar over the years no matter how many or what kinf of bones they get. So I periodically (probably twice yearish) I scale my dogs' teeth with tweezers. Have done this for years and am careful not to damage the enamel. Usually only close to the gun line on the upper canines and close to the gumline on the Ps tend to be the issue areas mostly.

I find it enjoyable to do and great for requiring the dog to be patient and obliging.

Well I'm glad Im not the only one who thinks bones should do the trick! I came home and checked the other two dogs teeth and they look great, it seems just Lacy that is having a problem?? Maybe she doesn't get right into the chewing of the bone, although I have watched them with thier bones and they do get that side action happening, Pers I know exactly what you mean by that, its like they are really using thier back teeth to get right into the bone. I dont give mine marrow bones but rather lamb bones mostly the meaty (not sure which part of the lamb it comes from) ones that they can eat the whole bone but it takes ages and mostly they leave just a tiny little bit, it is like they just can't fit it in or it is the toughest part of the bone and harder to chew. Bronsons teeth are probly the best as he gaters up everyone elses little left overs and chews away for hours, he is a real bone boy!! I give them lamb neck on occasion but they seem to power through these pretty quickly.

Erny what is Colloidal Silver?

I had this exact same conversation with my vet ;) and I'm meant to brush Chips teeth everyday ;) But so far I haven't even bought the toothpaste yet :) I am happy to do it a few times a week but everyday seems a bit much to be honest.I would rather feed them more bones so what kinds of bones do you all feed to help with the tooth cleanning since the wings and necks don't do anything?

Every day does seem a bit excessive! I was thinking once a week??

My dogs get plenty of bones, but I always still will find a small portion of built up tartar over the years no matter how many or what kinf of bones they get. So I periodically (probably twice yearish) I scale my dogs' teeth with tweezers. Have done this for years and am careful not to damage the enamel. Usually only close to the gun line on the upper canines and close to the gumline on the Ps tend to be the issue areas mostly.

I find it enjoyable to do and great for requiring the dog to be patient and obliging.

Thats what the vet did to Lacy today to get a bit of the stuff off, and she was great she just sat so quietly and didn't complain at all, so I don't think Ill have a worry with cleaning them myself. I do enjoy all the aspects of doggy up keep, the grooming the nail clipping ear cleaning etc. So I guess the teeth cleaning will just become part of the regimine (sp) !!

One thing we always notice with Lacy and not the others is that when she chews hard things, like raw hide chews, treats, bones etc she does kind of look almost like she is having trouble chewing and sort of throws her head up in the air to chew. I have never given it much thought as we just though it was a little quirk of hers? Maybe there is more to it and she is having trouble and thats why her teeth are not so good..... That makes it sound like her teeth are rotten they aren't it is just a small build up on a couple of teeth. Might see if I can get a video of her chewing??

I don't brush Charlie's teeth. He eats a lot of bones (he is on a high calcium diet) and he has a lot of chew toys also, so I never really worried about it. The boyfriend just brust his teeth because he has fishy breathe ;)

I'm going to check his teeth tonight though

"Colloidal silver is a suspension of sub microscopic metallic silver particles in a colloidal base. "

It is meant to have many and varied therapeutic uses, although as I understand, it is not scientifically proven and I think commonly rejected by those with more conventional medical based opinions.

But I've heard too much good from its use to be able to deny it. My sister's dog - 13yo Beardie, had some teeth pulled and the Vet/Vet Nurse suggested using the Colloidal Silver to brush his teeth with to assist in remedying the gingivitis. My sister reports it has worked well and the gingivitis has cleared up.

If your dog will chew bones (the other dogs aren't pinching them, are they?) then that's the best way. But if some extra help is needed then brushing a few times a week I think can help.

If the dog wasn't eating bones at all and gum disease was present, then "every day" might be what's needed to get the situation in check.

Edited by Erny

"Colloidal silver is a suspension of sub microscopic metallic silver particles in a colloidal base. "

It is meant to have many and varied therapeutic uses, although as I understand, it is not scientifically proven and I think commonly rejected by those with more conventional medical based opinions.

But I've heard too much good from its use to be able to deny it. My sister's dog - 13yo Beardie, had some teeth pulled and the Vet/Vet Nurse suggested using the Colloidal Silver to brush his teeth with to assist in remedying the gingivitis. My sister reports it has worked well and the gingivitis has cleared up.

If your dog will chew bones (the other dogs aren't pinching them, are they?) then that's the best way. But if some extra help is needed then brushing a few times a week I think can help.

If the dog wasn't eating bones at all and gum disease was present, then "every day" might be what's needed to get the situation in check.

No definatley no bone pinching between my lot they do respect each other. Like I said the youngest takes the reminants of whats left over after the others finish.

Thanks for the explination about the Colloidal silver!!

Mine are out there right now chewing lamb bones, the boys have the neck and the girls have some ribs, I had to trim the fat off the ribs though. Feather needed her teeth cleaned a couple of months ago, she's rising 8 and has never had it done before. They weren't even bad but since she was knocked out for a tooth removal I asked that they be done. All my others have beautiful teeth, Penny who will be 11 in a month or so has perfectly clean teeth.

I have learnt from experience though. Some of my whippets in the past had terrible teeth from the crap I fed them when I didn't know any better. Not anymore though.

1.do you brush your dogs teeth? if you do.....

Nope, never have and I have yet to have dental problems.

They all get bones and various other kinds of raw meat/tendons/offal, that keep them looking fantastic.