What Do You Think?

Jed

What do you think about someone getting a dog from the pound, calling it a Coolie, and standing it at stud, because it is good natured and healthy?

Do you think that is all that is needed for a dog to sire pups?

Kind of hard to say Jed.

Is a Coolie a breed or is it a type that's still being developed into a breed? Given the prevalence of working dogs in pounds, I'd say its possible to find foundation stock for a developing breed there. It sure worked for Herr Dobermann.

However questions about health checks and whether the dog is being passed off as something it isn't (of known pedigree) would need to be answered.

I am not, nor will ever be a breeder, but I think you need a bit more to go on than a dog "being good natured & appearing healthy"...............or have I got it completely wrong?

Some history ie. parentage would be handy!! :)

Theoretically I would not breed this dog. And yeh, I totally agree with BP - why did the pound not desex it??

Rat

I have no idea why the pound did not desex it. There is no mention of health status apart from "healthy", there is no known parentage.

And the dog apparently does not work.

aah- that was to be my 'excuse' - that the dog was a brilliant worker, and so could perhaps pass that on... :)

are 'koolies' a trendy type dog to own these days?

That was going to be my answer too. Mind you, doesn't mean the offspring won't work assuming it is being bred to another working dog.

But if the whole reasoning is 'good natured and healthy', then no, it shouldn't be bred. Lots of good natured, healthy dogs around, dime a dozen really. Many of them in pounds and rescues already.

Kind of hard to say Jed.

Is a Coolie a breed or is it a type that's still being developed into a breed? Given the prevalence of working dogs in pounds, I'd say its possible to find foundation stock for a developing breed there. It sure worked for Herr Dobermann.

However questions about health checks and whether the dog is being passed off as something it isn't (of known pedigree) would need to be answered.

it is my understanding that a 'koolie' is a recognised breed, but I have only heard it referred to as a 'German Koolie'.

I only know as people often ask if Sally is one, so I made some inquiries with breeders/vets :)

Why did the pound not desex it?

Do pounds desex? I thought rescues desex, but most pounds just try to get the dogs to a home . . . preferably their own home . . . and if homing and rehoming fail . . . to place them with a rescue org.

Edited by sandgrubber

Our pound does not desex. Even has rehomed some dogs with questionable temperments.

As an answer to the OP question - no I do not think it should be breeding. There are many lovely natured dogs out there that could probably say the same thing. You should be able to trace parentage and health of parents - and not just they are healthy blah blah, but that they have been tested for relevent things.

Many dogs are healthy and lovely natured. Doesn't mean they should breed, and doesn't mean if they did they would produce like.

Why did the pound not desex it?

Do pounds desex? I thought rescues desex, but most pounds just try to get the dogs to a home . . . preferably their own home . . . and if homing and rehoming fail . . . to place them with a rescue org.

No not all Pounds desex, most regional area pounds around here do not.

What is the acceptable requirement for people to breed dogs? Is a pound dog of less worth than another dog?

As dogs of any breed or part thereof are of the same species they can and do often carry the same recessive genes which cause problems but they also have various other genes not necessarily in evidence in the dog which can be given to the pups.

A minimum acceptable requirement is 1) knowing the parentage so you know what you may inadvetantly breed into the puppies.

Unless you know the parentage you go in blind but there are gene interactions in which a gene at one locus masks or suppresses the effects of a gene at a different locus so you cant see it in the parent but you do see it in the babies.2) That you screen for various diseases common to all dogs and known to occur in the breed.

The theory behind this kind of breeding is that even if there are recessive genes that there is little chance of them meeting up with random matings but this is only one type of gene interaction and mixed breed dogs actually have potential for more genetic issues than purebreds as was evidenced in studies done by George Padgett and as is clearly showing in our health surveys.

If you get healthy puppies its more luck than anything else. Even many commercial puppy farmers want to know the parentage of their parent dogs and why Kate Scoffeld wants to be able to buy healthy pedigreed purebred dogs to use in her breeding establishment.

What do you think about someone getting a dog from the pound, calling it a Coolie, and standing it at stud, because it is good natured and healthy?

I think it is wrong, wrong, wrong and the person does not have the best interests of the breed at heart.

and that this is a total disgrace!

I bet if coolies were not mostly merle, they would not, like so many other breeds, be slowly but surely losing their working ability.

If there were a shortage of nice coolies to breed from (which I sincerely doubt), they would be much better off choosing a well bred BC or kelpie to inject into their breeding program.

Edited by Vickie