Question Regarding Kinked Tails

GABBA

Hi I have been reading about various faults a dog can have and a common one I see is kinked tails. I have seen dogs with kinked tails, however I'd like to know can these tails be made straight by hand (as in can they be straightened out or are they ceased into the kinked position).

I got example have a 'bent' finger, the bone itself is ceased so it cannot be made straight, I'd like to know if kinked tails are the same.

I hope this makes sense.

Actually I had some pups born with a kink in the tail and it could be straightened by hand as youngsters but it hardened with age. The kink is at the joint and not the bone (the bones themselves are straight).

Just depends on whether it's a bend in the bone or at the joint.

Often the kink is a malformation of the bone, which is wedge shaped instead of flat on both sides, so the tail kinks to the side. These are definitely not fixable. Some kinks are caused by the ligaments being shorter on one side than the other - which may possibly be fixable by extensive surgery. Like lowenhart said, if the kink is in the joint it may be fixable, but I wouldn't be messing with it.

In the case of the malformed bone a lot of people say "oh the puppy's tail must've been broken or jammed in a door" because when the pup is very small the kink is often not obvious, but as it grows the bone gets more wedged shaped and the kink becomes apparent.

Depends on the breed obviously.

The reason I ask is because my mastiff has what appears to be a slight bend at the tip. However quite often he puts it straight or changes it's angle. I am not sure if this is just how the tail naturally works or if it's a kink. Is there any way I can be sure.

You should see my girls tail. Its like a pugs tail hehe though its cute it really used to annoy me.

The vet suggested putting a weight on it when she was younger but she didnt like it so I didnt bother with it. Her tail doesnt bother her and it still wags fine and she straightens it when she wants to.

In the case of the malformed bone a lot of people say "oh the puppy's tail must've been broken or jammed in a door" because when the pup is very small the kink is often not obvious, but as it grows the bone gets more wedged shaped and the kink becomes apparent.

Depends on the breed obviously.

That's exactly what Banjo's breeder said but I'm sure he was born with it and she either didn't notice or didn't want to point it out.