Number Of Spaces In A Pedigree Name

Quazaa

Hi im interested to know seeings as i NEVER get replied from Dogs SA when i contact them if anyone knows how many letters/spaces your allowed in a dogs pedigree name.

I know it was 24 and have read on the ANKC site they are goign to change it to 30

ive noticed a few dogs on DOL that have VERY long names and i dont know if they are using their full spelt name as advertising and entering them in show with the shortened names but ive sen one with 30 letters/spaces

anyone know anything ??

ive noticed a few dogs on DOL that have VERY long names and i dont know if they are using their full spelt name as advertising and entering them in show with the shortened names but ive sen one with 30 letters/spaces

30 letters (including spaces and prefix) is the rule now (has been for some time).

Of course, some of the names you may have seen may be imports. Other countries don't have the same restrictions, and they will obviously be registered here with their original name regardless of letter count. One of mine has 41 (I think - may have miscounted) letters and spaces - not including the IMP suffix :( . Sure can be a pain fitting it on show entry forms! I think the administrators of showmanager had to change the programming just for me when he got his title :dunce: .

Edited by armahani

Its interesting that the Imports can have longer names.

Well I guess they have to really. It would be pretty stupid if there was some rule that insisted that if you an import a dog you have to change the name it has been registered under since birth just to fit an Australian letter-limit. All of the dogs in an import's pedigree have to be included into our database too, so it would make it a disaster for accurate record keeping if many of them had to have their names changed to fit the limit.

Guest Baylord

It is also interesting to note that most countries will not allow any one other's prefix within your name.

Except for the US.

Are you aware that in certain circumstances dogs may be reregistered using anothers prefix even though you have had nothing to do with that dog or breeding.

And there is nothing you can do about it, apart from possibly putting a disclaimer on your web site, which is what i have had to do,the person in question was not only advertising owning a Australian Import but had pictures up of the grandparents without any approval from the owner, and refused to take them down.

This dog in question was then registered as such and such of - MY PREFIX being shown at the end.

I might add it was proven that the animal was not an Australian import at all, but progeny of an Australian bred hound which went back to the US with its diplomat family.

I am not amused, and yet there is not a thing I can do about it.

Since the disclaimer has gone up, the information of this dog has been erased from the web site.

I did ask our Canine to put in a complaint, as yet i still have not heard back as to whether they will or not.

Unless your prefix is registered with the AKCAmerican Kennel Club) - anyone can use it within there names over there.

Yeah they sort of have to. To rename them to fit our rules is a bit over the top, a dog should be registered and given a name once and only once. I know the UK allow name changes but they are just weird :mad .

I'm really happy that we can use 30 characters now. My youngest pup is Sesukan Lil Scrumdidliumptious. :D Exactly 30 characters (including spaces). It would have been a nightmare trying to cut that name down to 24...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :):rofl: :rofl:

What I really ment to say was the interesting longer import names eg Kinderscout Kennels - Denem If you love me hug me at Kinderscout (IMP NZ) almost impossible to fit on the certificate.

It is also interesting to note that most countries will not allow any one other's prefix within your name.

Except for the US.

Are you aware that in certain circumstances dogs may be reregistered using anothers prefix even though you have had nothing to do with that dog or breeding.

And there is nothing you can do about it, apart from possibly putting a disclaimer on your web site, which is what i have had to do,the person in question was not only advertising owning a Australian Import but had pictures up of the grandparents without any approval from the owner, and refused to take them down.

This dog in question was then registered as such and such of - MY PREFIX being shown at the end.

I might add it was proven that the animal was not an Australian import at all, but progeny of an Australian bred hound which went back to the US with its diplomat family.

Since the disclaimer has gone up, the information of this dog has been erased from the web site.

I did ask our Canine to put in a complaint, as yet i still have not heard back as to whether they will or not.

Unless your prefix is registered with the AKCAmerican Kennel Club) - anyone can use it within there names over there.

Sort of true, but not completely. My kennel name is protected with the AKC, but only for Belgian Malinois. If someone else wants to use it with another breed or breeds, they can without any problem. Kennel names/prefixes/suffixes from other countries are not protected with the AKC, but the true fanciers of a breed know whether someone is dodgy and using someone else's kennel name or lying about the circumstances of a dog.

eta: Info from the AKC website: http://www.akc.org/reg/kennelnames.cfm

Edited by mersonmalinois

Guest Baylord

Except for the US.

Sort of true, but not completely. My kennel name is protected with the AKC, but only for Belgian Malinois. If someone else wants to use it with another breed or breeds, they can without any problem. Kennel names/prefixes/suffixes from other countries are not protected with the AKC, but the true fanciers of a breed know whether someone is dodgy and using someone else's kennel name or lying about the circumstances of a dog.

eta: Info from the AKC website: http://www.akc.org/reg/kennelnames.cfm

Thanks for that mersonalinois, No one on my bloodhound lists even mentioned that. They just told me i would have to register my name, that even came from the ABC's AKC delegate.

The consequences and fall out from this little episode has been rather "explosive" to say the least.

Thanks for that mersonalinois, No one on my bloodhound lists even mentioned that. They just told me i would have to register my name, that even came from the ABC's AKC delegate.

The consequences and fall out from this little episode has been rather "explosive" to say the least.

You would not be able to register your kennel name/prefix with the AKC unless you fulfill the criteria, which would be impossible since you live in Oz. I'm really surprised the ABC's AKC delegate didn't know this...

Guest Baylord

You would not be able to register your kennel name/prefix with the AKC unless you fulfill the criteria, which would be impossible since you live in Oz. I'm really surprised the ABC's AKC delegate didn't know this...

As luck would have it I actually heard back from our Canine Association with a letter from the AKC today.

Kudos to our WA Canine for sending on this complaint, as I truly didn’t think they would.

The AKC have issued me a Registered Kennel Name Application!

For $100 I can register my prefix for my specific breed (as you previously mentioned)

As long as I fit certain criteria, such as

Having documented background of involvement in AKC events.

Be a breeder of good standing with the AKC with a good record.

Bred at least 5 registered litters in the past 5 years or

Owned stud dogs that have produced at least 40 registered litters in the past 10 years.

This sort of has me scratching my head!

It is interesting to note that the name may contain a maximum of 2 words and a maximum of 15 total characters and spaces

Yeah they sort of have to. To rename them to fit our rules is a bit over the top, a dog should be registered and given a name once and only once. I know the UK allow name changes but they are just weird :D .

I'm really happy that we can use 30 characters now. My youngest pup is Sesukan Lil Scrumdidliumptious. :) Exactly 30 characters (including spaces). It would have been a nightmare trying to cut that name down to 24...

On behalf of the UK, - HEY! :laugh: In what way do you mean changing the dogs name? just adding the owners kennel name to the end of the dogs name?

On behalf of the UK, - HEY! :( In what way do you mean changing the dogs name? just adding the owners kennel name to the end of the dogs name?

:laugh: Sorry I sort of said it a bit tongue in cheek.

I help manage the Dalmatian online pedigree database and there was a pedigree that was amiss, it seems a bitch was renamed before she was entered in the stud book which was different from the name she had when the litter was notified/registered (or whatever terminology used).

Also they also add affixes for owners kennels, so dogs registered and titled in one country will suddenly appear with "at Someonesplace" at the end - THAT is changing a dogs name in my book. Yes it's a different perspective as in the UK you would consider the name is the same just with an added affix. Weird to me, but not to you.

oh, yes i see what you mean! Totally normal to add our kennel name - bit confusing is the rule that is breeder 1 has bred both parents who are now owned by breeder 2, then breeder 1 buys a puppy from them, their kennel name is supposed to go at the start of the dogs name, not the end as usual.

Did that Dalmatian keep the same registration number? It is very unusual to have a dogs name changed after registration, not something I have seen actually happen before.

oh, yes i see what you mean! Totally normal to add our kennel name - bit confusing is the rule that is breeder 1 has bred both parents who are now owned by breeder 2, then breeder 1 buys a puppy from them, their kennel name is supposed to go at the start of the dogs name, not the end as usual.

Did that Dalmatian keep the same registration number? It is very unusual to have a dogs name changed after registration, not something I have seen actually happen before.

I don't know what happened with the registration numbers, just that the dog was renamed before it went into the studbook. I am 99.99% sure you can't rename after they are entered in the studbook.

I find the adding of non-breeder's kennel names perplexing, especially AFTER the dog is already registered. Oh well, each to their own :)