Watermarking - Am I Doing It Right?

MolassesLass

If you are serious about protecting your artwork I would suggest you only display low quality versions and/or increase the size and complexity of the watermark to make it more diffcult to remove.

10 mins later...

post-32728-1268891274_thumb.jpg

*edit* nice art :)

Edited by 16Paws

I really don't know much about watermarks but I'm guessing anyone with decent photoshop skills and the determination could remove any wartermark from any image. It probably wouldn't hurt doing a google search on methods and possibly visiting other art sites to see how their images are protected.

To make a watermark more difficult to remove you would need to cover areas of the image which cannot be easily replicated or cloned from another area of the image.

post-32728-1268892435_thumb.jpg

That would make it much more difficult to remove the watermark and it's still subtle enough that you get a good idea of how the art looks. You may find that different watermarks work fro different images.

Edited by 16Paws

• 3 weeks later...

I would be careful with watermarks, to much and alot of people are turned off

I don't use them at all, because if you are producing something that people want to steal they will any way. If you have to have a water mark, consider a discreate one.

I think it is a balancing act, but most professionals I have visited seem to have discreate ones. The only ones I have seen that do not are on snow ski photographers (they take a photo of you on snow skiing, then you can go down to their store in the resort and get prints of your photo for monies)

I stick them right across the centre of the image. If someone wants to pinch it and use it as a background then my name will slowly burn into their screen (well thats my thought or they can just stare at my name across it). The previous version was a bit stronger but still works I can still see clearly which are my pinched photos on Facebook!

6Volkswagin2.jpg