Tail Docking Legislation Changes In Wa

Clemevi

For all those interested parties:

The following changes have been made to the WA Legilsation re tail docking, importantly:

Delete:

"unless he or she believes that there are sufficent reasons for the tail docking to proceed for therapeutic or prophylactic purposes"

Insert:

"except where the tail docking is clinically indicated for the purpose of curing or alleviating a disease or injury from which the dog suffers".

This has been taken from the Government Gazette, WA - March 16 2010

Edited by Clemevi

Oh well, people will have to buy bobtails, send bitches to NZ to whelp, or import from countries where docking is legal.

However, I suppose when the new breeding authority demands that breeders outcross to another breed to eliminate perceived problems in their breed, no one will continue to breed anyhow.

So whether dogs are docked or not will be a moot point.

As far as boxers are concerned, the country of origin has the support of the FCI to ban the exhibition of natural bobtails, so any country adhering to the FCI standard will not allow bobtails to be exhibited.

And white boxers are also going to be allowed to be registered and bred with.

Edited by Jed

I must admit I haven't followed this issue closely. What is wrong with docking, debarking and ear cropping if carried out by a vet using anaesthetics. They are carried out world-wide. My understanding is ear cropping was stopped because KGVI didn't like it and de-barking and tail docking simply to attack owners and push breeders, who surprisingly enough love their chosen breed, out of the game. No one does it to inflict pain or injury on the dogs. R$PCA at work again I suspect.

Edited by justin19801

As far as boxers are concerned, the country of origin has the support of the FCI to ban the exhibition of natural bobtails, so any country adhering to the FCI standard will not allow bobtails to be exhibited.

Here's hoping they bring in the FCI to Australia!!

Here's hoping they bring in the FCI to Australia!!

Highly unlikely. However, if they do, instead of 2 to 4 in show classes now, there will be 1 - 2, and some classes with no entries.

Yep, Crisovar, we're nearly there :confused:

Highly unlikely. However, if they do, instead of 2 to 4 in show classes now, there will be 1 - 2, and some classes with no entries.

Touch dramatic, all this mean is WA is in line with the rest of the states. I don't see it decimating the show world just levels the playing field for everyone. I have said it many times, if people leave the breed because they aren't docked anymore then so be it, they obviously put way too much emphasis on their tails and not the entire dog.

I have never been anti docking and as stated before would still do so if nothing had changed, but it did.

FCI well that's my personal preference, just my opinion, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Having to crossbreed your dog to be a member of the ANKC.....Bobtails prime example, but I guess their ok for some reason.

Breeding whites, Dr Cattanach used a white bitch as his foundation for his bobtail experiment but again I guess that's ok.

Certain acts seem to be ok from certain perspectives.

Well as much as it is a shame it was probably always inevitable... and since the battle was lost before we thought about fighting it there isn't really a lot that can be done now...

It'll be interesting to see how many prefixes will be transferred out of WA now... I am pretty sure that the legislation may have been rushed given the blatant, in your face tactics that some were using with regards to docking and showing in other states, which resulted in a lot of attention from certain organisations.

Btw, I am pro-docking and pro-choice, and like clemevi i would do it if it was legal but it isnt. I own and show a traditionally docked breed.

Oh, I don't care much either way.

As Crisovar says, just one step closer to the ultimate goal.

I would think it is sad for younger breeders, but if they are happy with it, it doesn't matter. It wont affect me anyhow. And of course, if there is only 1 in your class, you win all the time.

Edited by Jed

Touch dramatic, all this mean is WA is in line with the rest of the states. I don't see it decimating the show world just levels the playing field for everyone. I have said it many times, if people leave the breed because they aren't docked anymore then so be it, they obviously put way too much emphasis on their tails and not the entire dog.

I have never been anti docking and as stated before would still do so if nothing had changed, but it did.

FCI well that's my personal preference, just my opinion, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Having to crossbreed your dog to be a member of the ANKC.....Bobtails prime example, but I guess their ok for some reason.

Breeding whites, Dr Cattanach used a white bitch as his foundation for his bobtail experiment but again I guess that's ok.

Certain acts seem to be ok from certain perspectives.

I have no interest in the effect of the taildocking ban in the show ring, far from it.

Eventually you will not be showing dogs at all, that won't concern me either.

The fact that there may well be very few dogs left to own, possibly very few purebred ones, and that dog ownership is going to be looked upon the same as smoking in public is a concern.

When I and others first started fighting the very first whispers of a tail docking ban here in QLd many years ago, we were laughed at. We were told it would never happen, we were laughed at.

When we told them that not only PBT but other dogs would die if BSL was introduced we were laughed at again.

When we told them that our rights as dog lovers would be slowly chipped away we were laughed at again.

Dramatic???? Only if you want a future with dogs.

Edited by Crisovar

For all those interested parties:

The following changes have been made to the WA Legilsation re tail docking, importantly:

Delete:

"unless he or she believes that there are sufficent reasons for the tail docking to proceed for therapeutic or prophylactic purposes"

Insert:

"except where the tail docking is clinically indicated for the purpose of curing or alleviating a disease or injury from which the dog suffers".

This has been taken from the Government Gazette, WA - March 16 2010

Do you have a link to this page?

Isn't it better that all the states have the same ruling..... So what if dogs have tails.... shouldn't make any difference to the showing - judges get used to how the dogs look and judge accordingly.

As far as cutting ears - can't see how anyone thinks that okay.... geeeeese louise...... would you think its okay to trim your ears to look like Dr Spock....

Way back "when" on a certain dog show orientated email list, myself and a few others were shouted down because we were "doomsayers" when we said that the ultimate aim of certain animal rights organisations is to outlaw the ownership of ALL companion animals.

This started with tail docking (ear cropping is a moot point because it has been illegal for so many years in Australia anyway), it will progress through dew claws, right through various entire breeds until the only place your grandchildren will be able to see a dog is either behind bars at a zoo, or in photographs.

The writing is on the wall now and doomsayer or no, there seems to be little that can be done to stop the momentum from gathering. :laugh:

Do you have a link to this page?

Hi Graeme

The Gazette was emailed to me, I have the full PDF version of the Gazette. I think it will be too big to post on here. Happy to email it to you privately.

Way back "when" on a certain dog show orientated email list, myself and a few others were shouted down because we were "doomsayers" when we said that the ultimate aim of certain animal rights organisations is to outlaw the ownership of ALL companion animals.

This started with tail docking (ear cropping is a moot point because it has been illegal for so many years in Australia anyway), it will progress through dew claws, right through various entire breeds until the only place your grandchildren will be able to see a dog is either behind bars at a zoo, or in photographs.

The writing is on the wall now and doomsayer or no, there seems to be little that can be done to stop the momentum from gathering. :laugh:

And in th END (or is it the beginning?) only mongrel bred dogs that are ferrel will begin to hang around campsites and eat scraps thrown to them by the people. The people will befriend these creatures and so a bond that precludes all legislation and goes back 100's of thousands of years will reform and then man will begin to control the, what has been, until then, indistcriminate breeding of these wolves/dogs/dingoes and begin to create a "type" whcih is asthetically pleasing to his eye.

The writing is on the wall now and doomsayer or no, there seems to be little that can be done to stop the momentum from gathering. :mad

Sad isn't it that so many cannot see the writing that is so plainly written on the wall.

Paranoid we have been called. :)

Sadly I think it will not be too long before we see who is right.