Dog Runs

Gilypoo

Hi Guys,

I have previously posted about an escape artist GSD, my situation has recently become worse. The GSD has lead my Great Dane astray and now both dogs are getting out as soon as we leave for the day. We had previously tried Containment Collars but they arnt making any difference.. Most people suggested some type of run which i think is now our only option. so my question is:

How big is a suitable size dog run for a 70kilo Great Dane pup (13months old ) and a 30kilo GSD pup (13months old).?

I hate locking my girls up but im soo worried about them getting taken or worse hurt by a passing vehicle...

Any help on size, layout, materials would be greatly appreciated.

2m by 4 or 5m is a agood size for one dog

so make 2 of them and you will be set

you dont want to make them any smaller or bigger

if there to big they will get to active to small and they cant strech there legs

and matrials you can use just about any thing sturdy

mine are made out of industrial gates

put in tube post or treated pine post in and use heavy guage cyclone fencing

or if you can get you hands on some temp fenching get enough panels to suit

another option is to call you local farm or industrial fencer in and get him to make the size you want out of tube frame and cyclone wire

Edited by cramet

2m by 4 or 5m is a agood size for one dog

so make 2 of them and you will be set

you dont want to make them any smaller or bigger

if there to big they will get to active to small and they cant strech there legs

and matrials you can use just about any thing sturdy

mine are made out of industrial gates

put in tube post or treated pine post in and use heavy guage cyclone fencing

or if you can get you hands on some temp fenching get enough panels to suit

another option is to call you local farm or industrial fencer in and get him to make the size you want out of tube frame and cyclone wire

great thanks for that info.. At least now i have a starting point

Gilypoo, here are some places I've found when looking for dog runs. I haven't contacted them all (will get 'round to it eventually :laugh: ):

PERFECT PAWS

Marshall Wilkinson

1 crufts way

CANNING VALE 6155

Phone 08 94561836

Mobile 0407667767

They are distributors of NFS kennel panels. IF you ring them they can email you a price list and photo of the runs set-up. Pretty sure the lady said they breed mastiffs, so fairly heavy duty dogs being contained by these ;)

Hutchwest: www.hutchwest.com

The Temp Fence Shop: www.thetempfenceshop.com.au

Then there are the PetSafe ones (but they look flimsy to me for some reason :banghead:): PetSafe Kennel runs

We have three large dogs..2 are newfs. We have a kennel room, which is 10'x10' ( for Winter and when it is wet and cold) and off it comes a run which is 10'x16'. It is 8' foot high, with concrete plinth's to prevent digging and has a plum tree growing in it for Summer shade and Winter sun. the dogs love it and often go there when it is left open, when we are home. The run is mostly sand and the kennel room has a little verandah off it, which is concrete. There is a gate off the kennel run and a door in the kennel room. The kennel room has a 6'x4' carpeted raised area and a window, which is mostly left open on the run side with a doggy door for in and out. Hubby built it very strong, out of welded steel and it a great secure place for our dogs.

we built this for 3 dogs, dogue de bordeaux, german shepherd and malinois

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

it was about 40m of fencing, buried into the ground (concreted as well) and over 6 foot tall. We did it ourselves, much cheaper and larger then a small run

Ooooooooooh Nekhbet - that looks really good :D .

Can I ask how deep you buried it down??? Maybe this might be a cost effective solution for us to build a temporary dog yard :(

I'm concerned though, how my city dogs will react to country temptations (rabbits, roos, foxes etc). Do you think it would be worth using ping string or similar to discourage them from "testing" (digging, climbing, banging against) the fence???? At the moment they are surrounded by colorbond, so no "visual" stimulants ;)

I buried it over a foot down and we made our own premix concrete. I made the trench fairly wide (I think just under a foot wide) so if they tried to dig near the fence they would hit concrete. I put soil back over the top so the grass would grow.

you wont find chain mesh at Bunnings. You have to go to a fencing place. We got the posts at the recyclers for about $120 for the lot. The chain mesh was a few hundred dollars (by the way be careful there is a razor tipped version which we had), quick set concrete is about $7-8 for 20kg.

You can easily put ping string on it, but frankly I would only bother around the top.

If you look at the photos you do have to run tension wire (we did double strand) top and middle so you have you know how to use strainers. Then (this was the painful part) in the freezing col you have to thread thin wire around every post to hold the chain mesh on, pull it tight and wind it every few inches to make sure the dogs jumping at the mesh wont knock it down. My hands were raw and almost bleeding :cheer:

So wish we could have stayed there. That was at OHs parents place, they promised us some land on their farm to build a house so I spent what money I had to build this. Then they renegged on the offer and told us to basically piss off :cheer: