Friends Dog Has Ear Infection

Hi all,

As TT suggests it is not my dog but my friends dog that has an ear infection. I'm not sure whether it's in both ears or one. It is definetely a yeast infection as you can easily smell it & my old boy has had numerous yeast infections over the years (better now).

He is a male dane not sure of age but he keeps flicking his ears & is in obvious discomfort. They have said they have taken him to the vet a couple of times & just been given ear drops but they aren't working & I feel that they have kind of 'given up' in a way even though he is still having problems. I suggested seeing another vet & even he might need them flushed out (this happened with my old boy & cleared things up) anyway I know it's a hard for them to do vet visits as they both have small cars & he is one of the largest danes I know of but something needs to be done.

The reason for posting on here was I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions of what to do/try to help this poor bloke? Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Could be the supercoat if they are feeding it. I used to feed Supercoat exlusively until a few years back when they changed the formulation and it just wasn't the food that it had been prior.

One of mine gets very itchy and smelly on anything that isn't meat based. Her ears get really skanky, her eyes get mucky and she just stinks.

I contacted Eagle Pack dog foods and they suggested I use Holistic Select Adult Large and Giant breed Formula for my lab as he suffers with the same ear infections, he is a lot better on a yeast/gluten free diet, with the Holistic Select there is also no say and the only grains in it are rice.

You can also google the different homemade ear cleaning recipe's but I would get his ear checked first to make sure the ear drums are ok before using anything. It seems to be a bad time of year for these yeast infections.....

I contacted Eagle Pack dog foods and they suggested I use Holistic Select Adult Large and Giant breed Formula for my lab as he suffers with the same ear infections, he is a lot better on a yeast/gluten free diet, with the Holistic Select there is also no say and the only grains in it are rice.

You can also google the different homemade ear cleaning recipe's but I would get his ear checked first to make sure the ear drums are ok before using anything. It seems to be a bad time of year for these yeast infections.....

Ok that sounds good! I'll let them know, is it easily available in SA? Only trouble is they were going to stop the supercoat & move to something cheaper!!! As he was costing them too much to feed. If they were smart they would have thought about how much food danes need before getting one but I think that was an afterthought, I believe danes need a higher quality diet?? But I will try my best, thanks for all the suggestions!!

Artemis maximal grain free :o

Zero used to get horrible ear infections because he's allergic to wheat and has narrow ear canals from untreated ear infections (his old owners) but he hasn't had one since we moved him onto artemis.

Remove dog from all foods that contain grains and yeast.

A course of AB's to help kick the infection.

Cleansing with a solution of 3mls Malaseb to 100 water.

Malaseb shampoo that you dilute?

Yep. :thumbsup: it works wonders and unlike many of the solutions and drops it works and doesn't irritate.

You can use it as a cleanser, I use it every couple of months when the dogs are having a bath. You squirt it in, massage around and let the dogs have a good shake, before wiping out the ear with a dry towel or piece of paper towel.

Edited by SBT123

Remove dog from all foods that contain grains and yeast.

A course of AB's to help kick the infection.

Cleansing with a solution of 3mls Malaseb to 100 water.

Malaseb shampoo that you dilute?

Yep. :banghead: it works wonders and unlike many of the solutions and drops it works and doesn't irritate.

You can use it as a cleanser, I use it every couple of months when the dogs are having a bath. You squirt it in, massage around and let the dogs have a good shake, before wiping out the ear with a dry towel or piece of paper towel.

Thank you I am going to try this for my dog.