A Question For Other Judges...

I watched a few people judging yesterday - one (who was very tall) would bend slightly at the waist to watch the dogs come back to him.....I thought it sensible to get closer to a front on shot rather than looking down at an angle but overheard a couple of judges tut tutting saying how they had "told him before to stop doing that" - I couldn't see the harm (apart from perhaps having a slightly sore back at the end of the day)...any thoughts anyone?

I watched a few people judging yesterday - one (who was very tall) would bend slightly at the waist to watch the dogs come back to him.....I thought it sensible to get closer to a front on shot rather than looking down at an angle but overheard a couple of judges tut tutting saying how they had "told him before to stop doing that" - I couldn't see the harm (apart from perhaps having a slightly sore back at the end of the day)...any thoughts anyone?

It might be intimidating/threatening to the dog? I suppose handlers can always stop a little further back.

Or maybe judges know it will give you a dodgy back. :thumbsup:

Edited by poodlefan

Perhaps he already has a back/hip/knee complaint and they had told him not to stand like that so as not to aggravate it?

I personally don't like some VERY tall judges because they tend to kind of loom over smaller dogs, especially in Specials lineups where the dog doesn't get the chance to see the judge from the table first. And it can be even worse if they are wearing a hat which can throw some pretty amazing looking shadows on the ground for dogs to freak at! :thumbsup: In these cases, I do wish judges would be a little more considerate.

But each to their own style and you just mark in your little black book what the individual judge does or if there is anything you need to be concerned about for next time.

Thanks guys - I got the impression from the comments that they didn't think it appropriate to look at the dog from anything except full height - I actually prefer to watch dogs come toward me when I'm sitting or kneeling - you can see straight on what's happening with them - I/m guessing this is what that judge was doing but the others didn;t seem to think this necessary.....

surely it should be up to the individual to determine their style?

I agree re hats, also dark glasses and flapping coats.....

Thanks guys - I got the impression from the comments that they didn't think it appropriate to look at the dog from anything except full height - I actually prefer to watch dogs come toward me when I'm sitting or kneeling - you can see straight on what's happening with them - I/m guessing this is what that judge was doing but the others didn;t seem to think this necessary.....

Judging is like exhibiting....you do what does best for you IMO.

And in addition to hats, dark glasses and flapping coats......dangly earrings and bracelets, strong perfumes and nicotine fingers!!!!!!!

and alcohol breath......

Oooh yeah!! Especially after lunch at a country Aggie show! :o

Oh and I'd rather not find out secondhand that a judge had garlic for dinner the night before either....and neither would my dog! :rofl:

If I was a judge I certainly would be bending down to see the movement better, especially on the smaller dogs... and as a competitor, I find it reassuring for a judge to do this, as to me, it shows they are really interested in looking at the dogs. Much better than judges that barely look at your dogs as you are running around the ring!

Its interseting to be sitting ringside and see a dogs movement. :laugh: :D :):) ;) ;)

Yeah, and it gives you the chance to go get the pooper scooper!!! :laugh::laugh:

Oh, you didn't mean THAT kind of movement!! LOL

I will crouch down to watch smaller breeds on the move. You sometimes cannot see boo from a normal standing position. I consider myself on the taller side of things for a woman, though not as tall as some :laugh:

I have to wear dark glasses as i have extremely sun sensitive eyes due to years of hay fever and it causes physical pain with even the slightest glare.I didnt realise other exhibitors found it annoying :laugh:

I have to wear dark glasses as i have extremely sun sensitive eyes due to years of hay fever and it causes physical pain with even the slightest glare.I didnt realise other exhibitors found it annoying :(

It's more when judges wear INSANELY dark glasses and then LOOM over dogs and frighten the bejesus out of them. I couldn't give a toss if other exhibitors wear dark glasses, they don't immediately impact upon my dogs.

I see no problem if a judge wants to get into a better postion to view the dogs movement, it's something I do sometimes. The only time it has been a problem was when my dog jumped into the lap of the judge for a quick cuddle!

I am a tall person(just under 6 foot tall) and even though during judges training it was mentioned to me that I shouldnt bend over as such to see the dogs for or aft movement, I find it is better for me if I do.

Especially with the smaller dogs.

I dont have a problem with it.

I would rather have a judge interested in movement than one who wasnt it.