Dremel

I've had a pet dremel before and it was great (from ebay.) I now want to get an electric dremel because I've heard they're faster to use on larger dogs nails.

I'm confused about which model to get. Does anyone use a dremel other than a pet dremel on their dog's nails?

:D

Edited by Baby Dragon

I have the electric Dremel "MultiPro" 10,000 - 37,000 RPM.

It is the first and only one I have ever had and I've had it for about 6 or more years. No complaints with it - quiet by comparison to others I have heard. I'm happy.

I have the electric Dremel "MultiPro" 10,000 - 37,000 RPM.

It is the first and only one I have ever had and I've had it for about 6 or more years. No complaints with it - quiet by comparison to others I have heard. I'm happy.

Thanks Erny :D Which size sander things do you use on it? The pet dremel came with 430, 431 and 438 but are there other ones that work for nails too?

I've just read about all the models. I think a cordless would be easier for me to handle, but I read that it's noisier. Does anyone have experience with a cordless model and do your dogs mind the noise?

The Styles model looks nice and light but the Lithiom-Ion one comes with a carry case and it sounds like the battery lasts longer between charges.

Or maybe a model with a cord would be better if they're not as noisy and I also wouldn't have to worry about charging it. I'm just worried it might be ackward with a cord.

Edited by Baby Dragon

The handheld cordless Stylus model can sit in its charger dock plugged in 24/7, so you don't have to ever worry about forgetting to charge it if you automatically put it away onto its plugged in dock.

Mine is rather noisy, but I haven't got any other model to compare the noise to.

Not sure what size sanding thingy I use, whatever it came with! I'd be interested to hear if anyone can recommend a good accessory for doing the pet nails. While we're at it, can anyone recommend an accessory for buffing human nails? :D

Edited by RubyStar

I have the lithium-Ion one and find it fantastic, the battery has a good life once charged and no cord to get in the way. I just use the standard sandpaper barrel attachment that comes with it and it lasts well. It has multiple speeds and I find that 3-4 is enough to do the job without getting hot too quickly (the faster the speed the faster the nail gets hot) witht he Lithium you can top up the charge anytime compared to standard battery which should be run down to flat before re-charging as the battery has a memory and charging it too much or leaving it on charge can affect the battery memory.

The good thing about getting a "proper" dremel compared to the "pet" version is it is a very handy tool for many little jobs.

I use a Rok rotary grinder (under $40 from Mitre 10) and have no issues with it whatsoever. It also came with a flexible shaft so that I can get the body of the tool away from the dogs and just deal with the grinder. Very handy with wriggly puppies. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone :rofl: It's great to hear from people who've used them.

I still haven't decided between cordless or with a cord, I think I'll talk to hubby and find out which would suit him better for jobs around the house and that might help me decide :o

• 1 month later...

I've nicked my Dad's which is the same as Erny's and really like it. I never thought I'd be able to get Bronte near it, but sufficient treat rewards she will lie flat on her side while I do her nails, it only took a couple of goes for her to 'get it'. She used to hate having her nails clipped but is good for this.

I've cut the top off the file packet but the bands are Dremel brand, I think 1/2 inch in size and 120grit. Good for a Collie sized dogs nails. May have to go up for a bigger dog and of course down for a littley.