Mdba Dog Owners Choice Awards

Steve

Our experience with the awards this year has shown us that they have now taken on a life of their own and we are eager to up the ante on several things and we thought dogz was a good place to start to ask around and get some ideas on some things.

We have had photographers for all of the awards functions so far and the first [ because it was combined with the Jean Dodds seminar ] we used a professional to film it all and have it on dvd. The last one and this one we have had professional photographers who have been known to us via their membership with the MDBA and dogz to photograph the event.

One of the things we would like to have next year is to have it filmed as well as photographed so we can have some of the event up on utube and distribute to media and hand around the dvd to those who would like a copy.

So the first question is - do any of you have any suggestions for us as a start point to go after quotes etc of a professional who is either in Melbourne area or who will travel to Melbourne to film the event for us next March?

off the top of my head I cannot think of anyone for the moment :) but venue suggestions;

The Bear House Restaurant, Cranbourne( also has a motel attached to it);

The Settlement Hotel, Cranbourne( also has Motel);

Out of the two Tthe Settlement is bigger and has more accommodation( it does a lot of function catering too).

I have eaten at both and meals are terrific. :(

These 2 places are only about 4kms from KCC Park(DogsVicHQ) and about 45mins drive on freeways from Melbourne CBD.

Okay now will put on thinking cap to think of photographers

off the top of my head I cannot think of anyone for the moment :) but venue suggestions;

The Bear House Restaurant, Cranbourne( also has a motel attached to it);

The Settlement Hotel, Cranbourne( also has Motel);

Out of the two Tthe Settlement is bigger and has more accommodation( it does a lot of function catering too).

I have eaten at both and meals are terrific. :(

These 2 places are only about 4kms from KCC Park(DogsVicHQ) and about 45mins drive on freeways from Melbourne CBD.

Okay now will put on thinking cap to think of photographers

Sorry Inspector Rex but we will are looking at venues closer to the CBD and the airport.

"Mdba Dog Owners Choice Awards, Next year in Melbourne ... "

YAYYYYY !!! :):):) :D :) :) :(:) :)

Get the impression I'm happy about this ??? :) :)

Ok .... once I'm down from my excitement, I'll put my thinking cap on.

Steve - how many to accommodate/cater for?

Do you want something that is more central Melbourne (it would likely be more expensive, though) or is it ok to be outer suburban?

I agree the Bear House has nice meals. Don't know what the accommodation is like as I've not stayed there nor looked, but I can check it out if you would like.

Settlement is nice although I think I prefer the atmosphere of the Bear House. That's not to suggest there aren't other places. What's the criteria for location? Public Transport?

Edited by Erny

Steve - will come up with some venues that I organised functions at in the past if that helps - they were all hotels in and around the CBD.

There is also the Travelodge at Tullamarine Airport - can check out the function facilities next weekend if that helps?

Sags

Calabria Club - 5min from the Airport

5 Uniting La, Bulla, VIC 3428

p: (03) 93071130

The Calabria Club grounds in Bulla are leased and maintained by DOGS Victoria

KCC is only 45min from the City.

O.K. If we're going to look at venues - here is the criteria.

It has to be close enough to other services such as cafe's and hairdressers etc for people to get to them without effort.

When we had the awards at the Canberra Rex just to get a sandwich for lunch or a can of coke we had to drive through Canberra traffic or walk for 15 mins there and back and thats no good.

The one this year has cafe's hairdressers, even people who will massage you right there and thats what we want.

We need it to be reasonably close to an airport because more than half of those who attend fly in but not so close they are in the boonies under the flight plans and difficult for local Melbourne people to get to and from via public transport or road.

We need to be able to get lighting, sound and meals and alcohol and have a feeling of luxury and elegance.We need accommodation and parking and experienced event co ordinators attached to the venue who can work with our people.We would prefer a red carpet and separate outside entrance with its own reception area to the ballroom.

I went to a few functions a number of years ago, put on by a big business crowd. I stayed there as well. Can't remember the name but I've emailed a friend who worked for this 'big business' and have asked her. It is CBD. I've also sent her a copy/paste of the criteria that you've mentioned in your post, Steve, as she might have some other ideas as well. She worked in Melbourne for many years and was involved in entertaining clients at special functions so she might have a few ideas. I'll be in touch once I've heard back from her.

Calabria Club - 5min from the Airport

5 Uniting La, Bulla, VIC 3428

p: (03) 93071130

The Calabria Club grounds in Bulla are leased and maintained by DOGS Victoria

KCC is only 45min from the City.

$100+ taxi fares?

Yes - it is too much. The expense of flights is enough, then accommodation .... without adding more for the cost of travel. Personally, I think Cranbourne area is way too far out, as much as it would be particularly handy for me.

Steve - will come up with some venues that I organised functions at in the past if that helps - they were all hotels in and around the CBD.

There is also the Travelodge at Tullamarine Airport - can check out the function facilities next weekend if that helps?

Sags

We're coming to Victoria at the end of April to do some social events for the MDBA and Pacers so we intend to check out some venues then.

These are very close to CBD, offer accomodation and have 250 plus dinner seated event space

Albert By The Lake

Phone: 1300 656 399

Mobile: 0408 233 300

Bayview Eden Melbourne

6 Queens Road Melb

Bayview on the Park

52 Queens Street Melbourne

CQ Functions

113 Queen Street Melbourne

Bell City Event Centre/Rydges Bell City

215 Bell Street Preston (20 min to city, 15 min from airport)

http://www.thevenuezone.com.au

try this website

I have been to dinner here and very good

Punthill Essendon Grand, Conference Centres Melbourne and Victoria

Address - view on map

1142 Mount Alexander Road

Essendon, VIC 3040

Contact Person: Functions Manager

Click here to see phone, fax and mobile

Other accomodation is nearby.

DFO is acroos the freeway.

I have been to dinner here and very good

Punthill Essendon Grand, Conference Centres Melbourne and Victoria

Address - view on map

1142 Mount Alexander Road

Essendon, VIC 3040

Contact Person: Functions Manager

Click here to see phone, fax and mobile

Other accomodation is nearby.

DFO is acroos the freeway.

Too small.

This is the response I had back from my friend :

It was the Stamford Plaza on Lt Collins St but I have a feeling it changed its name. I think it had conference facilities, restaurants as well as the Miettas ballroom which would suit. It’s up the top end around Exhibition if you want to look it up on the net. I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head other than all the big hotels in the city should be able to accommodate and also the new RACV club is supposed to be fantastic for conferences.

Stamford Hotel

The RACV Club has the hairdressing service you are after (amongst other things).

RACV Club

Bayview on the Park

52 Queens Street Melbourne

CQ Functions

113 Queen Street Melbourne

Bell City Event Centre/Rydges Bell City

215 Bell Street Preston (20 min to city, 15 min from airport)

These two aren't too bad. Not sure price wise though.

What is the distance from airport? How much roughly for a taxi?

Edited by ~Anne~

This is the response I had back from my friend :
It was the Stamford Plaza on Lt Collins St but I have a feeling it changed its name. I think it had conference facilities, restaurants as well as the Miettas ballroom which would suit. It’s up the top end around Exhibition if you want to look it up on the net. I can’t think of anything else off the top of my head other than all the big hotels in the city should be able to accommodate and also the new RACV club is supposed to be fantastic for conferences.

Stamford Hotel

The RACV Club has the hairdressing service you are after (amongst other things).

RACV Club

Both of these are too small.