Rant About Silly Dog Owners

aussielover

We have a family up the street from us with two Golden Retriever cross Standard Poodles that they call Groodles and paid a lot of money for, which are "papered pedigree" dogs they told us :D The most annoying thing is these people actually believe the "Groodle" is a breed and when trying to correct their belief with some education and facts..........geez, that get defensive and narky about it :thumbsup: She is going to show me the "papers" from the breeder...........I can't wait to see them and see exactly what these cross bred breeders are passing off as pedigree papers :bottom:

What I distinctively dislike about these "Groodles" especially, is that none I have seen look the same. Some have a distinctive Retriever head, some look like a Standard Poodle but in a Retriever body shape and size.......their looks are all over the place with exaggerated differences way beyond that of any pure bred consistancy. A Standard Poodle and Golden Retriever look the same as do most pure breeds with minor differences in coat, colour etc, but cannot be mistaken as to what breed they are. IMHO, the massive variations in appearance tells me that the "Groodle" is no way near consistant enough to even think about creating it's own breed.

I think to acknowledge these designer breeds as anything other than a cross bred mut which is exactly what they are, is an absolute joke :)

We have a family up the street from us with two Golden Retriever cross Standard Poodles that they call Groodles and paid a lot of money for, which are "papered pedigree" dogs they told us :(

:thumbsup::bottom: Sucked in :) :D Gullible - They saw them coming :) ;)

People think Xbreeds and oodles are acceptable because they are everywhere, and every pet shop, BYBer and puppy farmer is pushing the concept. I think the internet has been one of the biggest influences, it's all too easy to put up information, people read it and think it's okay. And they read it everywhere, all over web sites and puppy mill sites that can make themselves look like legitimate breeders.

I posted this link in another thread a few days ago. The enormity of it just overwhelmed me :bottom: . These are 'recognised breeds' from the American Canine Hybrid Club !!! :thumbsup: . We're talking hundreds of Xbreeds!

No wonder people think it's normal or cool - this sort of information is everywhere!

eta - forgot to post the link. It may take a little while to load http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americancaninehybridclub.htm

Edited by yellowgirl

I have a similar problem when chatting with prospective customers that are wishing to purchase a crate for their pup, but are unsure of what size I would recommend.

When they tell me it is a "oodle" or similar designer breed, I find it challenging to gentle explain how difficult it is for me to accurately recommend a size of crate to suit their dog when there is no way of knowing how big it will grow. I am always careful not be condescending or judgemental or to upset them in any way, but they pose me with a genuinely tough question. I desperately want to take the opportunity to educate them in a nice way, but I feel it is not my place, as when they come to me they have usually already at least put a deposit on said pup and are as thrilled as ever. At least they are putting in the time and effort to best set everything up for when the pup gets home.

I will however, always say "you do realise that that is a ------ x ------- don't you? and inevitably they say "yes". so, at least they are not fooled into believing it is a pure bred. they just enjoy using the designer breed name.

It saddens me, but I am too much of a woos to do anything else. :thumbsup:

I explain as best as I can that I can make an educated guesstimate on size and that is the best I can do, no guarantees. :bottom:

Typically they understand.

Edited by dyzney

When I was vet nursing, I was always taught that you can't enter the "designer" name, as any document from a vet clinic is a legal document, and you can only put either recognised breeds on, or list it as a crossbreed.

Tell that to my old vet who breeds "Groodles". She's a vet for goodness sake and has signs posted around the surgery and out of the street that they have Groodles for sale. She lost my business :grouphug:

I've had a few Groodles (booked in as GR X) in kennels and have no problem with the cross, other than it's wide range of variation. A few groodle owner have confessed to me that they didn't understand that X poodle could mean mini, standard or toy -- mostly people who were shocked when it was X standard.

100 years ago, the Labrador was pretty much of a mish-mash cross breed, and the breed has turned out pretty well -- from my biased perspective.

I've had a few Groodles (booked in as GR X) in kennels and have no problem with the cross, other than it's wide range of variation. A few groodle owner have confessed to me that they didn't understand that X poodle could mean mini, standard or toy -- mostly people who were shocked when it was X standard.

100 years ago, the Labrador was pretty much of a mish-mash cross breed, and the breed has turned out pretty well -- from my biased perspective.

The Lab including the Golden Retriever and others were originally cross breeds to achieve a working purpose. They were not created in the same concept as the puppy farmers Oodle we have today???.