Rant About Silly Dog Owners

aussielover

Today at work I was registering a new client and i asked what breed the dog was. She said it was a groodle??? I then said "oh you mean Golden Retriever Cross Poodle" and she got really angry and gave me a 5 min lecture on on Groodles and said she'd paid like 2000 bucks for the dog (like i care). I refuse to make a new entry for these ridiculous sounding dog breeds so I just entered it as a GR X Poodle. Anyway, it printed out like that on the invoice and she got pissed off with me again.

I'm beginning to think I should just accept the silly names for these new "breeds", but I don't agree with the way they are bred (commonly in puppy farms) and many of them come from pet shops.

But seriously who comes up with some of these names? I've actually had someone tell me their dog is a shit-poo, they thought it was funny!

Also, it is terrifying the number of people who own these types of dogs who say they don't want (insert silly name here) desexed "until she's had her first litter" because apparently they've been told its is good for dogs to have at least one litter before they are desexed. I really do wonder where they get that kind of information from...

I forgot to add- a few days ago I saw a gorgeous Bernese Mountain Dog tied up outside a shop. A woman with her son literally ran over to the dog and said to her 4 year old son "ohhh (sons name) put your arms around it, feel how thick its neck is" and then proceeded to practically strangle the poor dog. Luckily the son had more sense than her because he seemed quite hesitant. Why would you make your kid go up to a completely random MASSIVE dog and then HUG IT??? WTF? The dog had a lovely nature and seemed ok with this assault, but they weren't to know that.

Edited by aussielover

Also, it is terrifying the number of people who own these types of dogs who say they don't want (insert silly name here) desexed "until she's had her first litter" because apparently they've been told its is good for dogs to have at least one litter before they are desexed. I really do wonder where they get that kind of information from...

Probably from the dogs breeders. These would be the same folk who tell puppy buyers that their dogs don't need to be clipped until they're 12 months old. :cool:

Had similar conversations before myself. Leaves you shaking your head.

Went into the vets the other day to see a wanted poster.

Wanted a Poodle (Standard, Mini or toy) to mate with my GR X Poodle. She is 12 months old and - just had a baby mouse run over my keyboard!!! Anyhow.... ready to have her first litter.

Yeh like hell. I did meet them at dog training. She constantly growled at it for being a puppy and having a short attention span. It at times has already shown some dog aggression, but hey it is a perfect dog to breed from because it is allergy free and has a wool coat so never sheds!

Arrrghhhhhhh!

Now off to hunt that baby mouse that fell on my footthen ran away!

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I think the idea that the 'bitch is improved by having one litter' is an old wives/farmers tale. I live in a rural area and it comes up quite regularly, I think old farmers perpetuate the myth and it is proving very hard to dispel at least around here it is :D VERY ANNOYING!

And yes I always correct my clients when they come up with the fancy oodle name. I have just joined a non dog forum and my OH had to stop me giving one of them a lecure as they have just bought 2 cavoodles from the same litter :cool:

I woudlnt be giving in. I wont accept these stupid idiodic bl**dy Lazy names. And My answer for these people who want to 'agrue' and 'educate' me on their CROSS BREED is - One Make them say it "why is it called a blablaoodle?" when they have to answer say... so it IS A CROSSBREED.

And it will continue to be a Cross Breed.. No amount of whip up a name will fix that. Till you have Hundreds and hundreds and Hundreds of YEARS of "carbon copy" perfection to a standard... its STILL a Crossbreed.

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!" :cool:

What fancy name should I call my 10 year old Rottie/Pittie? There weren't any fancy schmancy names around when she was born in somebody's back yard and then given away FTGH at 6 weeks old...

I just call her "Zeddy"... *grin*

T.

What fancy name should I call my 10 year old Rottie/Pittie? There weren't any fancy schmancy names around when she was born in somebody's back yard and then given away FTGH at 6 weeks old...

I just call her "Zeddy"... *grin*

T.

She would be advertised as a Pittweiller or a Rottbull :cool:

Have a compact book of recognised dog breeds handy....hand to them and ask them to look up Groodle/Spoodle/Cavoodle etc.. :)

Or....put up a sign saying...."Please do not ask me to list your dog as a 'made up designer dog' name. If it is a X breed, it will be listed as such!"

I always put them in as crossebreeds, but as I was the "odd' one who , god forbid, actually liked to show my dog and do obedience traing and trialling with her - I was the only one who did. The others swallowed the crap!

Today at work I was registering a new client and i asked what breed the dog was. She said it was a groodle??? I then said "oh you mean Golden Retriever Cross Poodle" and she got really angry and gave me a 5 min lecture on on Groodles and said she'd paid like 2000 bucks for the dog (like i care). I refuse to make a new entry for these ridiculous sounding dog breeds so I just entered it as a GR X Poodle. Anyway, it printed out like that on the invoice and she got pissed off with me again.

I'm beginning to think I should just accept the silly names for these new "breeds", but I don't agree with the way they are bred (commonly in puppy farms) and many of them come from pet shops.

But seriously who comes up with some of these names? I've actually had someone tell me their dog is a shit-poo, they thought it was funny!

I forgot to add- a few days ago I saw a gorgeous Bernese Mountain Dog tied up outside a shop. A woman with her son literally ran over to the dog and said to her 4 year old son "ohhh (sons name) put your arms around it, feel how thick its neck is" and then proceeded to practically strangle the poor dog. Luckily the son had more sense than her because he seemed quite hesitant. Why would you make your kid go up to a completely random MASSIVE dog and then HUG IT??? WTF? The dog had a lovely nature and seemed ok with this assault, but they weren't to know that.

The same thing happened to me today when I handed the vacc certificate over to the owner with Poodle X as dog breed she told me it isn't a poodle X it's a Groodle :):rofl:

Guest Willow

When I was vet nursing, I was always taught that you can't enter the "designer" name, as any document from a vet clinic is a legal document, and you can only put either recognised breeds on, or list it as a crossbreed.

Had a client get VERY cranky with me because I listed thier litter of pups as the crosses they were instead of the designer name. I explained why I had done it & they were most upset because now they couldn't tell people they were whatever oodle they wanted to....I said they could tell people whatever they wanted, but the fact of the matter was they were crosses, and would be listed on legal documents as such :thumbsup: