Obtaining Ankc Prefix With No Id

SwaY

ID to get a prefix  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have to show photo ID to get a prefix

• Yes
    • No

Why is it that anyone can obtain an ANKC prefix without showing any form of ID?

In the last few months there has been a few suspended members popping up again with a new prefix,

only to be caught and do it again.

If I have found them on DOL breeders page, i have reported them to Troy, and he has looked into it and taken care of it.

They are getting a new prefix as puppies on main register are easier to sell, and sell for more.

I think you need to show Drivers licence, supply residential address, and a mailing address if you use one.

Does anyone know how I can push for this to be done?

ETA have now added a poll

Edited by SwaY

Maybe a copy of their drivers Licence might be a way to stop it ??

I always thought that you couldnt register another prefix under the same name and address if there was already one registered there or something like that ??

Edited by Libertybrook

I always thought that you couldnt register another prefix under the same name and address if there was already one registered there or something like that ??

They make up names and use PO boxes

Why is it that anyone can obtain an ANKC prefix without showing any form of ID?

In the last few months there has been a few suspended members popping up again with a new prefix,

only to be caught and do it again.

If I have found them on DOL breeders page, i have reported them to Troy, and he has looked into it and taken care of it.

They are getting a new prefix as puppies on main register are easier to sell, and sell for more.

I think you need to show Drivers licence, supply residential address, and a mailing address if you use one.

Does anyone know how I can push for this to be done?

ETA have now added a poll

Showing ID to the likes of the ANKC is presenting your membership card, like you do when you register attendance at AGM's of the VCA. In fact as long as you have your membership number you can make application for anything.

The prefixes on DOL are one thing (may not necessarily be owned by the people using them) but if they are prefixes issued by the ANKC then its should be drawn to the attention of the ANKC for actioning as the ANKC database system: When a member is suspended or the like, there is a flag/warning section on the ANKC computer system that is supposed to be placed on the members records, which is highlighted when any dealings with the member comes up? This should include prefixes, registrations, transfers etc, in fact anything to do with the member.

You may recall in 2004 at the AGM the VCA resolved that Kennel Prefix Memberships were to be no longer available for new memberships and that they can only have individul ordinary memberships meaning that any actions relating to a member are supposedly easier to track.

As for "I think you need to show Drivers licence, supply residential address, and a mailing address if you use one.

Does anyone know how I can push for this to be done?"

The best way to achieve this would be make a motion/ Special Resolution to an AGM/SGM of members (Special Resolution as the VCA Management Committee have to abide by this decision whereas an ordinary resolution they only have to take it under advisement.) If you want this to go national then word the motion/SR so that the VCA must take it to the next ANKC meeting with the endorsement that it has been passed by Members of the VCA. If you place it on the agenda for the VCA Management Committee they make the decision; ie they have the final say, which may not be what you would like.

Unfortunately you only get 1 AGM per year and if there is no SGM the resolution/s may have to wait one year to have it voted upon.

Absolutely ID if that is happening - how scary. I mean, seems common sense to me that you can't raise dogs in a PO box - surely you have to at least have to give a proper address.

Anyone can have more than one prefix, you are not allowed to have more than one prefix for the same breed with the same owners.

eg. if prefix "Smith" has A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then prefix "Smitha" can not be owned by A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers. But if it is owned by A Jones, B Jones and C Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then it would be allowable.

Anyone can have more than one prefix, you are not allowed to have more than one prefix for the same breed with the same owners.

eg. if prefix "Smith" has A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then prefix "Smitha" can not be owned by A Jones and B Jones as members for Golden Retrievers. But if it is owned by A Jones, B Jones and C Jones as members for Golden Retrievers then it would be allowable.

I am so glad you answered this wayrod, as I have just sent off my application for a new prefix for our Basenji's :laugh: . We already have RAJACADOO for the ACD's, but as that has special meaning only to the ACD's, I didnt want to use it for the Basenji's :laugh: .

Both prefix's will be in both my hubby and my names, too...

Edited by rajacadoo

Hell's bells, I'm glad you've brought this to Dogsvic's attention Sway, I honestly can't remember sending any ID to the then RNSWCC, I guess the only ID they'd ever see would be copies of Pension cards for those entitled to the pension discount.

It's a very good point, and especially in light of the dodgy one's being able to simply re-join under new names.

I voted yes to ID being presented in person or certified copies if needed to be sent.

fifi

Does anyone know how I can push for this to be done?"

The best way to achieve this would be make a motion/ Special Resolution to an AGM/SGM of members (Special Resolution as the VCA Management Committee have to abide by this decision whereas an ordinary resolution they only have to take it under advisement.) If you want this to go national then word the motion/SR so that the VCA must take it to the next ANKC meeting with the endorsement that it has been passed by Members of the VCA. If you place it on the agenda for the VCA Management Committee they make the decision; ie they have the final say, which may not be what you would like.

Unfortunately you only get 1 AGM per year and if there is no SGM the resolution/s may have to wait one year to have it voted upon.

Thank you for the information, This is something that needs to be done.

This makes a mockery of registered ethical breeders. The CC's need to sort this out. It shouldn't be up to other members to police this.

A certified copy of a drivers licence should suffice and shouldn't be to difficult to include into the prefix registration process.

Liars could use any relative or friends address. I think the drivers licence is better.

It's allowed, Sway, because membership is voluntary.

If you know of someone abusing the COE of the canine council, report them.

And no matter what is done, it will not prevent the dishonest. It will simply make things more tedious for the honest. And probably deter pet owners from joining.

Breeders do often have more than one prefix - for two breeds, or a separate partnership.

It's allowed, Sway, because membership is voluntary.

It will simply make things more tedious for the honest. And probably deter pet owners from joining.

Im talking about applying for a prefix, not just to become a member.

The honest, should want to do it, to help prevent the dishonest.

It will change nothing for a pet owner, as they are not applying for a prefix - so won't have to show ID

Showing ID may benefit, but what stops someone from getting a spouse or parent or friend to sign up with a prefix for the shifty breeder? Absolutely nothing...we can't prove that we that have memberships or breeder prefixes are actually the ones that really do the breeding unless we get back into 'breedmasters' and that simply wouldn't go over well in this society I don't think!

How can you stop people from using others details? If that person agrees to sign on the dotted line, produce their licence when needed, but other than that, doesn't want anything to do with the breeding or use of a prefix, you still can potentially have unethical people that want to get the 'higher price for registered pups'.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as often thought....there are many loopholes in this game, and those that really want to find them, usually do.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as often thought....there are many loopholes in this game, and those that really want to find them, usually do.

As they find them the ANKC needs to make changes where they can to stop them.