Guide Dogs - What Were They Thinking?

KismetKat

I met an elderly woman in the park today. She had a 3 year old lab that they'd had from about 14 months old. He was a 'failed' guide dog. Their request to guide dog (as they love labs) was for a retired guide dog (does such a thing exist????) but they got this young, naughty adolescent instead. She admitted to me that they really should not have taken him, but they did, they love him, and he was well looked after (nice soft glossy coat, tho a little overweight). They have someone take him for a walk 3 days a week, but she conceeded he did not get enough exercise.

The reason they were at the park was that their dog-walker could not make it and she took him to this park occasionally so he could (hopefully) run around (perhaps with other dogs) and, as it was fenced and he didn't really have any recall, she could get him back (eventually).

The woman was 86 years old. She was in one of those wheeled walking frames with a seat. Her husband is also in a walking frame. She despairs what happens to the dog when they die. Her long-handled pooper-scooper was broken so I picked up her dog's poop for her. I also took her dog on a lap of the park with mine. I think he might have had a vague knowledge of the "come" command (do Guide Dogs get taught that?), and I encouraged her to teach it/reinforce it with the dog.

But heck, I know there are 'seniors for seniors' rescues out there. This woman wanted an older dog. But Guide Dogs offered her this young dog and, perhaps being elderly and vulnerable and really wanting a dog, despite her better judgement, she took him on. What were Guide Dogs thinking??? Why did they allow an elderly vulnerable couple who love dogs take on this dog? Why did they not steer them in a more suitable direction?

I met an elderly woman in the park today. She had a 3 year old lab that they'd had from about 14 months old. He was a 'failed' guide dog. Their request to guide dog (as they love labs) was for a retired guide dog (does such a thing exist????)

Yes this does exist, there's a blind guy here in town who retired his guide dog a few years back due to health problems (the dog, not the guy) and there was a story in the paper about the family he was placed with. The guy was given a new dog and then last year the paper did another story to say that the old guide dog had passed away. I thought it was nice of them.

Sux that these elderly people were not given an older dog.

:thumbsup: How sad.

In my previous life, I helped organise the sale of many young dogs who failed their assessment/training, and have also placed older retired dogs.

No way should a 14 mth old have been sold to such an elderly pair.

regarding the lack of response to the 'come' command, may I suggest that the dog probably did know it at 14 mths...but now, another 16 mths on, and with no regular reinforcing training, he is probably not responsive to much.

Edited by persephone

I believe there is quite a list of people looking for retired / failed guide dogs so I thought they could pick and choose new owners. I can't understand why a young, active dog would be placed with frail, elderly people.

I enquired once a few years ago about getting a failed guide dog and was told it was close to impossible to get one.

I believe there is quite a list of people looking for retired / failed guide dogs so I thought they could pick and choose new owners. I can't understand why a young, active dog would be placed with frail, elderly people.

Me neither. Is there a problem within Guide Dogs Vic? Such a lovely and loving doggie owner but they've given her totally the wrong dog and she's the one suffering the guilt over exercise and training and what happens when they die. Why not the happy story of another elderly dog owner I recently met who had adopted a 9 year old GR and proudly stated that she was the dog's "retirement home" and even tho she didn't move that fast herself was vowing to 'walk the excess weight' off the dog.

How very sad for both parties, a total mismatch and should never have been allowed to happen, shame on Guide Dog Vics for allowing this to happen :thumbsup: . This poor boy should have been rehomed with an active family/couple/person who could meet all the requirements of this young boy and he is missing out on so much, it is so sad ;) . Equally sad is that these poor people have a dog whose needs they cannot meet and have the additional burden of worrying about what will happen to him when they die.

I also was under the impression there is a waiting list for failed and retired Guide Dogs as well, so what an earth posssessed Guide Dogs Vic to rehome this youngster with such an elderly couple :(

KismetKat why don't you contact Guide Dogs Vic and ask how such a mismatched rehoming was allowed :rofl:

KismetKat why don't you contact Guide Dogs Vic and ask how such a mismatched rehoming was allowed :rofl:

I might just do that - but aren't there 2 guide dog goups in Vic??? (I'm not from around Melb originaly)

I think there is the Guide dogs and a SEDA as well.

I might just do that - but aren't there 2 guide dog goups in Vic??? (I'm not from around Melb originaly)

I think there is the Guide dogs and a SEDA as well.

Guide Dogs are in Kew and Seda has a new name now and they are located in Kensington :rofl:

What a mismatch! It's hard to imagine one that'd be worse. As someone else said, positively dangerous as well.

On the other hand, folk I know in Victoria adopted an 18 mths old failed guide dog. But he'd failed on one point only....too friendly with all dogs he came upon. He's proven to be excellent, has a rather laid-back personality, and is a dream around their 89 yr old dad.

Maybe, as KK says, there's 2 different groups.

That situation is so unfair to all parties and shame on Guide Dogs Vic.

My next door neighbor has had two guide dog puppies from guide dogs QLD , the first one has gone on to be an assistance dog. The second one failed so my neighbors have chosen to keep her. I would imagine that could happen to a lot of the younger ones that fail, so if you are not the puppy minder you would be down the list.

I dont know anything about the retired dogs.

Sadly this is the second story along these lines I've heard this week. The other one is to do with a failed police dog that my sister and brother in law took into their home.

They thought it was a good way to get a 'free' dog and because she was 'too lazy' to make a police dog it would be a good idea. The dog is beautiful, fantastic temperament, great with the kids and is bored out of its skull and is now chewing everything in sight.

The solution - she has to go. Poor puppy will be bumped on to another home with no idea about whether the home is suitable or not. GRRRRRRRRRR...........I know it would be difficult for them to make the time to train the dog and I know that they know they have made a bad decision, but I just hate to see the dog suffer for their (and the original rehomer's) stupidity.

:laugh:

ETA - I am trying to at least get them to talk to breed rescue people so that the dog has a chance of going to a good home.

Edited by Agility Dogs

If you see her again perhaps suggest she contact Guide Dogs and have a chat to them about it.

Perhaps 1.5yrs ago her mobility was much better than it is now? I have seen the progression of several of my elderly family members and sometimes that decline in mobility happens very fast.

I dare say he probably did have a recall and some training under his belt but unless they are able to keep enforcing it then of course it would extinguish.

Generally the lines of Guide Dogs here are very very calm, I know a couple of puppy walkers and one of them has a failed dog too, but she is young and cheeky as well. Obviously they wanted an 8yr+ dog, often retired Guide Dogs go to other family members of the person they assisted for so the wait can be many years.

why would you rehome a dog that lives 10 years plus to a then 84 year old person ... unless they plan on being fit and energetic until 100 + how is this logical at all. Is there no forthought what would happen to the dog when she passes or becomes to frail?

because she was 'too lazy' to make a police dog

Considering how much energy a working dog needs too lazy in their opinion can still be too much for a family particularly if it is from police kennels. Again was it not matched? Tell them to speak to the local Schutzhund clubs or Shutzhund Australia so the poor thing has a chance at a half decent home particularly if she has working bloodlines.

I should be surprised but for some reason I'm not.

If you see her again perhaps suggest she contact Guide Dogs and have a chat to them about it.

I'm actually kicking myself for not giving her my business card so she could contact. I've been going to this park for over a year and it is the first time I've met her. I'm sure I could organise some extra dog-walking for her from the people I know in the area.

Perhaps 1.5yrs ago her mobility was much better than it is now? I have seen the progression of several of my elderly family members and sometimes that decline in mobility happens very fast.

Still - she was 84 when they gave him to her - can't they do the math?

I dare say he probably did have a recall and some training under his belt but unless they are able to keep enforcing it then of course it would extinguish.

Well they weren't told! She hadn't heard of the "come" command and was just using his name (to little effect). I encouraged her to practice using "come" at home using treats (advising her to cut down on dinners to compensate, he was a little tubby). I certainly think he vaguley remembered it - when I used it to call him (with hand signals) he looked at me, seemed to be turning the other way, and then bolted straight to us.

I'm actually kicking myself for not giving her my business card so she could contact. I've been going to this park for over a year and it is the first time I've met her. I'm sure I could organise some extra dog-walking for her from the people I know in the area.

How about writing to your local paper? Someone might be able to put you in touch with the lady.