Macro Lens Recommendations

Ripley

I just discovered a praying mantis in the house. Caught her/him and relocated it outside in a nice green bush for camouflage and where I know lots of small crickets hang out at night. The look she gave me was pure comical - she tilted her head on the side most indignently and gave me a real stare. I wish I had a macro lens to take a photo, but I don't, so I left her alone.

I was wondering, what is a good, reasonably priced macro lens? There seems to be quyite a few pretty beasties in my backyard, I have a lovely garden orb I fed a blowfly to last night (killed it first though) and there are butterflies about.

The Canon 100mm is good. I think they are around 1K (I'm not sure what "reasonable" is for you as everybody is different). OH has this lens and I just love it. He uses it for taking pictures of skin cancers up close so I only get to use it on the weekends. Leeshy has borrowed it a few times and would be able to give you a better critique of it's quality and ability than I would.

Edited by blacklabrador

f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm

f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm

f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm

I think I've made my point.

f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm f/2.8 100mm

Actually no you haven't. What are you saying? :thumbsup:

I think this is the same as ours.

Edited by blacklabrador

Actually no you haven't. What are you saying? :thumbsup:

I think this is the same as ours.

It is :(

Best lens ever. I love it for everything.

I just discovered a praying mantis in the house. Caught her/him and relocated it outside in a nice green bush for camouflage and where I know lots of small crickets hang out at night. The look she gave me was pure comical - she tilted her head on the side most indignently and gave me a real stare. I wish I had a macro lens to take a photo, but I don't, so I left her alone.

I was wondering, what is a good, reasonably priced macro lens? There seems to be quyite a few pretty beasties in my backyard, I have a lovely garden orb I fed a blowfly to last night (killed it first though) and there are butterflies about.

What lenses do you have already? I ask because you may have something very suitable already & all you need is an extension tube. If so it'll save you a LOT of money.

Edited by DMA

yes

Canon 100mm 2.8 macro.

I used it. I loved it. I want to stroke it and pet it and call it George.

:dancingelephant: @ Junior Bear quote.

Thanks guys, I'll look around when I get financial again, money is a bit tight atm.

I could buy an extension tube or reverse my 50mm but I do want a macro. Hopefully I can get one in the next few months.

I was late for work as a ringtail possum decided it was still dark (due to the overcast low light at 7am) and hadn't made it back to the neighbour's possum box yet, so I used my telephoto to take some pics, couldn't help but be late for work, the background was lovely green foliage and poss' was posing for me like a model.

I've never tried macro photography before, do you have to rock back and forth to obtain better focus?

LOL to the 100 lovin'

It's a fantastic lens, no doubt. But there are a couple of other contenders.

Canon's 60mm macro rocks. And I find I reach for it more often than the 100. The 60 is super small and light so it's easy to go anywhere. It makes a fabulous lens for portraits, it has nice fast focus for moving things and it's macro abilities are awesome. This is one sharp lens. The downside to this lens is that to gt 1:1 you need to get up close and personal.

With the 100 you get more working distance so can stay further away from skittish creatures. The downside, other than price but get the version I and save heaps o' cash, is that this thing is heavy and it's hard to hand hold it sometimes. You need very good light or your shutter speed will drop so far hand holding becomes an issue. This lens has a steeper learning curve than the 60mm.

Sigma makes a very good 50mm macro that is budget friendly while still producing great results.

And here's one that no one thinks about - Tokina's 35 macro. This thing is RAZOR sharp. It's a very much overlooked piece of glass, especially at $320! I really like the different feel of macro photos shot with this lens. It, too, does 1:1 but like the 60 you have to get close (5.5" or 14cms for 1:1) ... but even not at 1:1 this is a super cool lens.

And here's one that no one thinks about - Tokina's 35 macro. This thing is RAZOR sharp. It's a very much overlooked piece of glass, especially at $320! I really like the different feel of macro photos shot with this lens. It, too, does 1:1 but like the 60 you have to get close (5.5" or 14cms for 1:1) ... but even not at 1:1 this is a super cool lens.

Now you are talking. That is a great price, thanks kja. I'm not going to take that many macro shots, I prefer photographing birds and wildlife, but seems to be so many interesting critters in the garden, it's a shame I can't get up close and personal with a macro on them.

eta: interesting spiders too, I'm sure there's a funnel web living in the front yard, male one.

Edited by Ripley

I've heard the Tokina 90mm is an exceptional macro lens.

I couldn't afford the Nikon macro I wanted, it was ++1000s.

I didn't want a short lens that would put my nose close to spiders and ants.

So I took some advice from PhotoBuff when I was there one day, he let me trial this and that on the spot, gee I miss that business, he was so helpful.

Anyways, took home a Sigma 150mm macro. It is as sharp as, and keeps things a respectful distance away at full frame. I think it was around $1000.

Ripley, yes you often need to move the camera to get the focus spot where you want it (generally, can't auto-focus macro, and can't fiddle with lens to manual focus, so yes - get it as good as possible then fine-tune by moving camera).

Of course the next big allied expense is a lovely ring flash. One day.