Congratulations And Criticisms

If someone is a good sport and a decent human being I will offer congratulations even if the winning dog isn't my thing. I have noticed that while others do this too, there is also a good proportion of people who won't or who will voice their disapproval.

Perhaps it is because it is important to them that the dog be worthy in their eyes before they offer congratulations. Or perhaps it is important to them that people understand their position on the breed. Or perhaps they are just a poor loser.

I have been pondering for a while what the line is between being a good sport, and contributing to education in the breed.

If you have influence (ie, are a judge or top winner) and you critique a competitor's dog to others with influence (particularly judges outside the breed) are you educating or advancing your own interests?

If you are your average exhibitor and you criticise your competition, are you supporting the maintenance of standards or are you contributing to an unsportsmanlike environment?

If a newer person makes a comment about what a judge is looking for or an aspect of the standard that you think is incorrect, do you say something or not?

Generally I go with "never miss an opportunity to shut up" but that isn't always appropriate - particularly not with congratulations.

What do you think?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My approach to showing is fairly consistent.

I have been showing for 15 years now and I have only one occasion where I have said anything that I really regret now.

It was after I won a BIG with a dog and it was taken off me for a stupid mistake (my mistake) I feel that the events around the way the mistake was pointed out and subsequently handled were unfair and overall a massive disappointment for all involved. I was very vocal and at one point hysterical about the way it was handled, I bawled and now realise that my own mistake made it possible for what happened. However I still feel that those that pointed out my mistake did so with malicious intent and this is the reason I was vocal.

Apart from that, everytime I walk out of the ring I will always say "Well done", "Congrats" to the winner and other handlers, it's almost a habit now but I feel it's a good habit to say it regardless of if I mean it or not. I will admit that I have bitched about dogs winning when I don't think they are deserving, however I will do it in the privacy of my home or my fellow showers home.

I have been re-reading a list set up for members of Dogs NT, an unofficial group that has had it's moments but it's interesting to read back in 2006 and what was going on.

Our Dog World has changed and evolved but it would never be what it is without each group that completes the chain, there are the nasty pair that will speak out everytime they lose, the happy go lucky who are there every show rain hail or shine - win or lose, the newbies eager to learn, the old and jaded, the young and jaded etc.

I love it all.

I congratulate the winning handler for their win. They could be showing a 3 legged camel and I'd still do it. As far as I'm concerned that's good sportsmanship.

It's the judges opinion of the dog that gets them the win, not mine.

I've seen losers storm from the ring, loudly denigrate the winning dog/handler and sundry other dummy spits. The only thing that reflects poorly on is them.

Ditto to BMP's advice.

My approach is always say Congrats to the handler - I expect this in return if I win, If i dont get it, I bitch about it to my OH in the car on the way home :laugh:

At dog shows you get what you pay for. When you enter, you are paying for that judges opinion of your dog, if you dont like their opinion or are likely to get upset if they dont like your dog then dont enter. It really is that simple

As a result of the actions of others, I rarely offer any comments after judging now. Whether they be congratulations or commiserations.

If you congratulate somebody, certain individuals see it as being sarcastic. If you don't congratulate somebody, you're seen as being a bad sport.

So if you don't say anything.....they can take it as they will.

As for criticism....I don't offer opinions unless they are asked for and even then, my comments will be prefaced by the question "do you REALLY want to hear what I think, or do you want to hear what you want to hear?"

Those who know me know that I will not deliberately hurt somebody, but neither will I tell them lies to make them feel better.

I have always tried to congratulate our competition - when we have it - even if it hasn't always been returned! :laugh: But I still think it's the nice thing to do. Ring-storming tanties help no one.

(Though they are always good for a laugh!)

I'll admit to once upon a time being one of those people who wasn't quite sure why i was losing and would pick holes in my competition without truly knowing the problem... I am a bit different now. The more you learn and the more honest you are with yourself the easier it is to congratulate the competition.

There used to be an exhibitor who used to say "Well done, well done " so loudly it was aggressive.

My experience is that showing dogs can bring out the very worst in some fragile personalities.

If only people would study their standards, know them off by heart, then use objective observation and accept that good dogs sometimes belong to people they don't like.

People seem to stick faithfully to their friends and accept whatever is shown by them as good, so often. The old game of my dog's better than your dog.

I always say "Well done!" to the winner when I leave the ring. This is simply to congratulate them on their win. It says nothing about how I feel about them or their dogs.

Any bitching/whinging about results happens in the car on the way home. :laugh:

What's the point of a hollow congrats.

I'd much rather go and have a chat with someone who has a nice dog or bitch after judging and tell them how nice it is and congratulate them.

If someone is lucky enough to beat me they deserve that well done, they've earned it :rofl:

:laugh: :laugh:

Being a relative "newbie" here, I always congratulated those who were the "winners on the day". I have found since after the Ekka in 2009 that none of my fellow "competitors" would return the compliment, hence I now keep my mouth shut. I must admit that after my young bi black sheltie, who at the time had a total of seven points, beat a dog close to his Grand I felt like thumbing my nose :laugh:

At one time I had nothing but negative comments from a certain person about the fact that "you can't see the sweet expression on a bi-black sheltie's face". My boy has on three occasions beaten a bitch she bred who is also not far off her Grand, and again the temptation to thumb my nose was there. :laugh:

If my fellow "competitors" can't take the time of day to be polite, then neither can I. :rofl: