Visitor Dogs (delta Etc)

01kismet

Hi all,

Wasn't quite sure if I should post this here or training section, anyway Seirra has just turned 1 and have been thinking about doing this with her.

I am after some idea of what they expect of the dogs, she is gentle and sweet natured but can still get excited at times and I'm not sure if that is allowed. She is a German Shepherd so on the larger size. Can touch her any where etc but at times she will push for a pat or lick, paw.

I was hoping to find the requirements on the delta dog site but all I can find it seems I need to buy something first ? If someone could explain the details to me that would be great, the other thing is we are in Townsville so does anyone up here do it and with who ?

Thanks

december222009220.jpg

Edited by 01kismet

It's not too difficult, it's just setting the dog up with some scenarios they might find at nursing homes and then testing their general temperament.

Email the contact for Townsville, she'll be able to set you up with the info.

Townsville Pet Partners Branch

Phone: (07) 4775 1011

Email: [email protected]

Medium to large breeds are actually quite good at it, as they can put their front paws up on chairs or sit next to people in chairs. :laugh:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

the temp and behaviour assesment looks at stuff like reaction to exuberant or clumsy petting, angry yelling, staggering and gesturing, being bumped from behind, held by a stranger, crowded and petted etc.

they also look at the level of trust and understanding you and your dog have together.

if you pass you then have to attend a one day training seminar and sign a simple performance agreement then they give you your photo ID and will start trying to match you up to a good facility. You will have a more experienced person acompany you and act as support for any future questions and do simple, regular activity reports.

I can't find the rest of my info but I recall they also look for simple commands to be learnt like sit/drop/come - hope that helps!

If you email the coordinator in your area (someone already posted the contact info), they can send you a list of all the assessment items they do with each dog to assess whether they are suitable to become a therapy dog.

In a nutshell, the dog must know sit, drop, stay, come. They must cope with being yelled at (verbal only), bear hugged, bumped on the bottom, walking through crowds including crowds making noises and with medical equipment. They must walk on a loose lead and be comfortable with being left alone with a stranger while the owner is out of sight. They get patted roughly and by someone making lots of unpredictable movements and noise.

Good luck!! Therapy work is loads of fun!

Edward has just passed his temperament and health tests for this. He's a bigger dog too - standard poodle size.

The temperament testing was fine, just what everyone else said. They also wrote whether Edward is tolerant of other dogs and other species ie cats etc.

They had to choose which category Edward fitted into:

1. sedate, quiet, placid, peaceful

2. quiet, interested, friendly, bright

3. bright, active, alert

4. boisterous, exuberant, bouncy

I have the reports and the next step is a police check and a training session for me. Then they'll match us with people in the nursing homes.

I'm really looking forward to getting started with this.

I hope it works out for you too.

I would love to do therapy work.....it is why I have spent so much time on socialization. My dogs are really used to all sorts of situations now, even the pup. And my dogs just attract kids, all kids want to pet fluffy newfies and newfies just love anyone and everything.......thanks for posting the site

Cindy and I visit in a nursing home and a local hospital. It is a real joy. The physio puts me to work-if you are walking next to a dog you forget it is physio. Seriously though it is a wonderful experience.

I would encourage everyone to consider doing this.