Would You Consider This A Successful Mating?

Labkisses

Hi guys

One of my girls visited a not so experienced stud yesterday. She was ready, and he was keen but perhaps a bit too keen. He mounted her and ejaculated, but not inside of her. This happened a couple of times and we saw white fluid spurt from him. Third time they managed a tie for 10 minutes.

Would you consider this a successful mating?

We went back there again today and this happened again, the stud just couldnt get it together, no tie and in the end my girl gave up.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Maybe go with a fresh AI just to be sure.

The problem with some males too is that unless the bitch is spot on/ovulating(and most males CAN tell :laugh: ) they will bugger around.When it comes to the crunch though,they seem to manage it in an instant.I had one bitch that would stand,tail flagging,mounting other dogs for 9 days,but she only ovulates near the end,and her daughter is the same.

I just called the only vet in our area who does AI and they think that we might have already missed the boat (so to speak) my girl is at day 14 of her season now and to do a progesterone test it will take another day.

Bummer :laugh: We are going to visit the stud again today, fingers crossed he points it in the right direction and doesnt get too excited too early!

I just called the only vet in our area who does AI and they think that we might have already missed the boat (so to speak) my girl is at day 14 of her season now and to do a progesterone test it will take another day.

Bummer :laugh: We are going to visit the stud again today, fingers crossed he points it in the right direction and doesnt get too excited too early!

Arrange to meet the stud at the vets and have an AI done, it's pretty pointless trying for a natural mating again when there's a good chance it will be unsuccessful. At 14 days it's quite possible that she's still fertile and with an AI at least the semen will be placed in the vagina and not lost on the ground.

ETA if the owner of the stud dog is an experienced breeder he/she may be able to do the AI, it's a relatively simple procedure. Ask.

Edited by Miranda

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The stud owner is not experienced in AI himself. The stud dog has sired a litter previously with no problems, they mated and tied and all went well. I'm not sure why we're having problems?? :laugh:

With regards to pointing him in the right direction, I've watched this and it happens so fast! The dog attempts to mount her, doesnt get on top of her fully and sprays before he gets near the right area. Its like he's so excited and is ejaculating prematurely. I dont think there is any time for us to point him in the right direction without getting sprayed on first :cry:

We're going to have a chat to the stud owner today about possibly bringing them both to the vet tomorrow. It will be day 15 of her season then. The vets are unfortunately all booked out today and cant get us in. They recommended us to perhaps wait til next season and get her prog tested on day 1 and do 3 AI's on her prime days, 2 days apart.

My girl that was AI'd was inseminated day 16= 9 puppies.The other girl was day 17=13 puppies,so dont give up hope yet!

It only takes one tie for a pregnancy, and even a slip tie will do that job nicely...if you got a tie, you probably are fine....I would give it a go again, and if you aren't restraining the bitch, I would do that to keep the bouncing around (foreplay) down to a minimum. This might help as well. Don't worry about getting in there and helping and getting sprayed on....a bit of sperm between folks over a mating isn't a big deal and it will wash off! Besides...I'd be more worried about getting the job done than if I got a bit sticky....or I should say, be pissed off that what hit my arm or pantleg could have been my next Best in Show puppy!!

It only takes one tie for a pregnancy, and even a slip tie will do that job nicely...if you got a tie, you probably are fine....I would give it a go again, and if you aren't restraining the bitch, I would do that to keep the bouncing around (foreplay) down to a minimum. This might help as well. Don't worry about getting in there and helping and getting sprayed on....a bit of sperm between folks over a mating isn't a big deal and it will wash off! Besides...I'd be more worried about getting the job done than if I got a bit sticky....or I should say, be pissed off that what hit my arm or pantleg could have been my next Best in Show puppy!!

Thank god i had just finished my coffee,or i would have to get a new computer :laugh:

haha thanks Angelsun, my girl has been very good lol, not teasing him..she just stands there still waiting ..but omg this stud is just waaay too excited! Yesterday he missed, and my girl got over it very quickly and sat by the gate and waited to go home lol. Poor thing, she must be as frustrated as us!

Centitout - I hope what I saw was only 'pre-ejaculate'. Its hard to tell, because it looked like a fair bit squirted out. Now that I think about it, after the tie was done on the first day I did notice semen coming from my girls vulva and the stud was licking it as it was coming out!! Gross I know! - Hope your computer is ok haha :laugh: So hopefully it did go ok the first time and there was enough to give us some furbabies.

Imagine putting your arm or leg on a lead and taking it around the ring.

Edited by whippets