Breeders Taking Back Dogs They Bred

ruthless

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two breeders I bought my dogs from have both had dogs returned to them since I got mine. Benson's breeder had two dogs returned, one was around 5-6 years old, the other was Benson's brother.

They were taught some manners (neither apparently had any), groomed properly and rehomed.

Dusty's breeder had a boy returned to her and she started showing him and just this weekend he gained his championship title.

I don't believe it is a legal thng, and I don't think there are any authorities breeder can be reported to for refusing to take back a dog they bred. State canine councils seem to be toothless tigers when it comes to dealing with recalcitrant breeders. It's more of an ethical, goodwill thing.

Edited by GayleK

Unfortunately, they are not required by any ruling to take back any dog they bred. However, many very reputable breeders will and will then find a good home for their dog. Again, unfortunately, there are not all that many breeders who will do this. Don't flame me, breeders, I know you all can't take back dogs because of room contstraints, etc and that doesn't make you bad breeders just realistic.

In a perfect world all breeders would take back their puppies but in reality sometimes it isn’t possible. Very strict dog numbers in most places mean adding an extra at little to no notice is impossible for a lot of people. I would like to think that all breeds at least assist in the rehoming even if they don’t physically take the dog back..

Having said that the breeders who think the puppy is not their responsibility once they are sold should give up breeding and unfortunately I know a lot like this. Don’t know how they can bring a puppy into this world and not care if he is having a happy life.

The lady that bred my youngest boy, ( I know only a cross breed) took his brother back after a few months as he didn't fit in with his new family, they had a 12 year old Cocker Spaniel and he would not accept the pup at all. She kept him till she could rehome him. Also she has always made it clear to me that If anything even happens and I had to rehome Bronson that she would take him back. It will never happen but it is nice to think Breeders out there care enough about thier pups to offer this to to thier puppy buyers.

I didn't think it was a legal issue, but I thought there might be a code of ethics.

I came across a few breeders when I was doing rescue who couldn't give a stuff that a dog they bred was in danger of being pts. One of them in particular has their prefix burned across my brain.

I also remember once when a breeder did take a dog I had back once but she euthanased him as he was no longer in full coat (wtf??).

I think it's understandable to not always be in a position to take a dog back but to at least offer a helping hand goes a long way.

efs

Edited by Clyde

Max's breeder, Cheryl Jacobs, takes back any of her dogs if the owner's circumstances change. She is very concerned about the welfare of her dogs and as far as I know all her pups are co-owned. I know that when my circumstances changed suddenly last month resulting in me having to rehome my 2 cats she was on the phone as soon as she knew about it to check that I could still keep Max. She offered temporary accommodation if necessary. In fact, Cheryl is awesome, I can phone her day or night if I have problems or questions, nothing is too much trouble for her and she phones regularly to check on Max. :laugh:

Our breeder re-homes and does rescue of the breed. I have had two rescues from her and one re-home. I take my hat off to anyone that dedicated to the breed. but I can accept that it must be almost impossible for some, due to lack of space

Working with Dane Rescue, I know of only a few who have taken their dogs back given the opportunity.

Luckily our breed doesn't end up in rescue in large volumes so many of the Breeders never have their dogs end up in a rescue situation to start with.

If they don't want to take them back you can't do anything about it and sometimes you wouldn't want the dog back with some breeders who just see $$$

the Dane community however is extremely supportive and will really go above and beyond to help a Dane in need.

Edited by sas

It's a tricky one. The ideal breeder takes them back - breeder of my kids certainly does. But there is no law forcing them to do so.

Speaking not just about my breed here, there are still breeders around who will tell you to put it down or will take it back and put it down. In a ghoulish way that is more "responsible" than letting them go to whatever fate entire, but it's still pretty brutal. I agree that the knowledge that there are other people who will clean up the mess does facilitate the behaviour. That's when I'd expect breed clubs to step in, but it's hard if the culprit is not part of a club or the issue turns political (ie, mostly it's hard).

The other difficulty is when you have breeders who view breed specific rescue as "competition" and object to out of state rescue homing dogs into their state because it's taking a potential home for a breed that is difficult to place.

I don't have any magic answers. Wish I did.

Any breeders I have personally had puppies off over the years would and have.

There was a dog that ended up in our local pound of my breed and I helped trace it's tattoo. The owner was not interested at all so I took her on and found a knowledgable home for her.

I believe ethically it is the right thing to do and any babies ever bred by me would be taken back in a heart beat. I appreciate not everyone can do that, but they should at least help find the dog a good home.

A good breeder who will is worth their weight. At least if it all goes pear shaped for you, you know your babies will have a safe home.

I will take back anything i have bred,will also foster if i can(not when i have pups though for obvious reasons).I hate seeing older hounds dumped.

There is a unreg. female not far from me they are trying to sell-i have already talked to her and they will only sell her as a pet,but she has my number if they cant sell her ,and rather than put her in the pound,she will come here to be rehomed.Dog is from victoria.

As far as I know the MDBA code of conduct is the only one which covers this.

quote - I will impress on the buyer that they should contact me in the event of any problem arising with the puppy or adult and that I will make every effort to be of assistance in these circumstances. In the case of a dog needing to be re-homed I will take full responsibility to assist as much as possible in achieving this end and will accept the return of that dog at any age if this in any way possible.

Even if the breeder is unable to do this the MDBA networks steps in to help.We had a case recenty where the breeder was in a spot where they couldnt help so we worked together to be sure the dog wasnt at risk and helped find it a new home with the breeder supervising.

Edited by Steve

If you give your dog back to the breeder, do any of the breeders give any money back or is it more of a service? Just wondering as this happened to someone I know and they refused to give the pup back unless they got a complete refund from the breeder, which I think is rude.

If you give your dog back to the breeder, do any of the breeders give any money back or is it more of a service? Just wondering as this happened to someone I know and they refused to give the pup back unless they got a complete refund from the breeder, which I think is rude.

Personally if the dog is not returned due to a health or medical problem, then no I don't think they should. I know some breeders offer half of the original purchase price and up, to encourage people to get in contact with them.

I would no expect any money back, especially since the reason would be my problem, not one with the dog, and secondly they would need to feed and care for a probably adult dog until they could find another home.

If it's a puppy, as in under 6 months old, I would take it back and give the full purchase price back - anything to get back a puppy I obviously placed in the wrong home. An adult, they would get the price I get for it less expenses, after I had found the dog a new home. Why would anyone expect a full refund for a perfectly good dog you've had for several years? I sold the dog, I didn't lease it out!