Ivermectin Allergy?

pixie_meg

I'm suspecting Oberon may have had an allergic reaction to ivermectin. Last Tuesday(almost 2 weeks ago he had his Nu-heart tablet and by Friday he had developed a small rash on his chest. It then got red and lumpy(and scabby) and has spread across the area between his front legs. I've also noticed the occassional lump that has scabbed up on his legs. Now since i realised he was chewing the heck out of his chest and making the rash worse i have put him in a cone collar. It seems to be slowly getting better. He seems well otherwise, just really itchy and generally annoyed that he cant scratch it.

Has anyone had a reaction like this with their dog to heartworm meds. I did read that collies have some issue with ivermectin and i read somewhere that borzoi were perhaps originally bred from a type of russian collie. How long can i expect it to take to go down if it is the ivermectin?

thanks.

I'm suspecting Oberon may have had an allergic reaction to ivermectin. Last Tuesday(almost 2 weeks ago he had his Nu-heart tablet and by Friday he had developed a small rash on his chest. It then got red and lumpy(and scabby) and has spread across the area between his front legs. I've also noticed the occassional lump that has scabbed up on his legs. Now since i realised he was chewing the heck out of his chest and making the rash worse i have put him in a cone collar. It seems to be slowly getting better. He seems well otherwise, just really itchy and generally annoyed that he cant scratch it.

Has anyone had a reaction like this with their dog to heartworm meds. I did read that collies have some issue with ivermectin and i read somewhere that borzoi were perhaps originally bred from a type of russian collie. How long can i expect it to take to go down if it is the ivermectin?

thanks.

The issue with collies and related breeds is known as mdr1 sensitivity. There is a DNA test available to check if a dog has this and it is well worth it as there are other drugs these dogs can not have.

I am not sure how an ivermectin reaction appears or if borzoi are on the list of breeds but you could try googling mdr1.

ETA: a quick google search shows Long Haired WHippets and Silken Windhounds as having been affected so I would guess a borzoi is also a possibility. This is from a US page on breeds affected:

Breeds affected by the MDR1 mutation (frequency %)

Breed Approximate Frequency

Australian Shepherd 50%

Australian Shepherd, Mini 50%

Border Collie < 5%

Collie 70 %

English Shepherd 15 %

German Shepherd 10 %

Herding Breed Cross 10 %

Long-haired Whippet 65 %

McNab 30 %

Mixed Breed 5 %

Old English Sheepdog 5 %

Shetland Sheepdog 15 %

Silken Windhound 30 %

Edited by piper

thanks.

The issue with collies and related breeds is known as mdr1 sensitivity. There is a DNA test available to check if a dog has this and it is well worth it as there are other drugs these dogs can not have.

I am not sure how an ivermectin reaction appears or if borzoi are on the list of breeds but you could try googling mdr1.

ETA: a quick google search shows Long Haired WHippets and Silken Windhounds as having been affected so I would guess a borzoi is also a possibility. This is from a US page on breeds affected:

Breeds affected by the MDR1 mutation (frequency %)

Breed Approximate Frequency

Australian Shepherd 50%

Australian Shepherd, Mini 50%

Border Collie < 5%

Collie 70 %

English Shepherd 15 %

German Shepherd 10 %

Herding Breed Cross 10 %

Long-haired Whippet 65 %

McNab 30 %

Mixed Breed 5 %

Old English Sheepdog 5 %

Shetland Sheepdog 15 %

Silken Windhound 30 %

thanks, i'll look into getting him tested.

I thought the mdr-1 sensitivity/Ivermectin Sensitivity had symptoms that were more on the neurological side of things .

Frankie, the rescue pug we are treating for Demodex Mange, had neurological side effects to Ivermectin before he came into our care. Apparently, after only a small oral dosage, he would sway, have dilated pupils and not be able to sit up.

Frankie is now being treated orally with Moxidectin, and no neurological side effects have presented.

Moxidectin is one of the drugs in Advocate spot on heartworm, flea and worm treatment. I also believe that it is deemed to be a safer drug to use for mdr-1 sensitivity/Ivermectin Sensitivity dogs.

Edited by puggy_puggy

i'm now thinking that Oberons vaccination reaction when he was 12 weeks(hypersensitivity, lethargy, wobbly) may have been ivermectin. I immediately blamed vaccination but he also had his first heartworm tablet in the same vet visit.

thanks puggy, i'll look into Moxidectin. Even though it may not be MDR1 i'll feel safer if i test now so that we know in an emergency, whether he can handle the drugs given.

If its not Ivermectin i'm not sure what it would be. We started him on some BARF patties about 2 weeks before he got the rash. and he's only had them sparingly. They don't seem to have any nasty preservatives. He gets a mild belly rash after mowing day but that goes away fairly quickly.