Itching After Clipping

giraffez

How can i lessen the itching after clipping my dog. I clipped the tummy section today and he has been licking at it. I know next time I won't clip it so short.

What number blade are you clipping with?

If your blade was hot you may have burnt your dog. If you have some Apex cream put it on and it will soothe the clipper burn/ itch.

If he is getting itchy after clipping, a soothing bath with Aloveen shampoo will also help.

How can i lessen the itching after clipping my dog. I clipped the tummy section today and he has been licking at it. I know next time I won't clip it so short.

If your blade was hot you may have burnt your dog. If you have some Apex cream put it on and it will soothe the clipper burn/ itch.

If he is getting itchy after clipping, a soothing bath with Aloveen shampoo will also help.

I bathed him with Aloveen before I clipped. I'm not clipping against the hair and I'm pretty sure its not heat from the clipper. I think I clipped it too short - using a 30 blade, read somewhere that thats what to use for the tummy area (can't remember where). So mad at myself for causing the irritation :eek:

I've clipped with the 30 blade on the tummy before twice and both times were fine so not sure why this time is different. I can't put any cream on him as he keeps licking.

I only clipped the tummy today, his coat is still pretty short so I left it alone.

For the future, is there anything wrong with using the 30 blade on his actual coat? I think the 10 blade leaves the hair too long.

I bathed him with Aloveen before I clipped. I'm not clipping against the hair and I'm pretty sure its not heat from the clipper. I think I clipped it too short - using a 30 blade, read somewhere that thats what to use for the tummy area (can't remember where). So mad at myself for causing the irritation :rofl:

I've clipped with the 30 blade on the tummy before twice and both times were fine so not sure why this time is different. I can't put any cream on him as he keeps licking.

I only clipped the tummy today, his coat is still pretty short so I left it alone.

For the future, is there anything wrong with using the 30 blade on his actual coat? I think the 10 blade leaves the hair too long.

A #10 is heaps short enough, you wouldn't need to ever use a #30 on the body if that is what you are doing?

I use a #7 for the body on most of the Schnauzers I groom.

They are supposed to have some coat :wink:

#10 for the tummy is fine too, Curash powder is good if they are irritated, unless they have really sensitive skin if the blades are cool and sharp and the dog is clean you shouldn't have any problems.

Edited by Crisovar

I bathed him with Aloveen before I clipped. I'm not clipping against the hair and I'm pretty sure its not heat from the clipper. I think I clipped it too short - using a 30 blade, read somewhere that thats what to use for the tummy area (can't remember where). So mad at myself for causing the irritation :rofl:

Hi Giraffez,

I use a 10 on the body and lower belly during summer, a 7F during winter and leave some coat on, and a 30 on their ears as I like them fine. :(

Keep touching the blade whilst clipping as they can heat up quickly depending on your clipper. I would wash him off again today if he is still licking Get some Apex cream or use Curash as suggested by Crisovar. Don't be mad at yourself, it will settle down in a day or so. :)

#30 on the tummy :rofl:

We groom all pet schnauzers like there hand stripped as different areas grow faster head/neck/bum grows faster than the top coats so we dont do once size all over .

We may use a #15 on the bellies but that is only on dogs with an intense coat under there,generally a #10 is fine & going backwards in some areas is fine .

How long between grooms ??

Yes i know, big mistake. Never again! :(

The itching has settled down today "phew". Thanks all for the suggestions. He is still a bit irritated, just went to the supermarket looking for the Curash powder, never used it before so don't know what it looks like and asked the staff there. They didn't know what it was. Is it like baby powder? And what is apex cream and where could I get it?

I've clipped the body using a 10 before but i think its too long. I prefer the 30 clip - i know the schanuzer is usually a 7F or a 10. A 30 clip also means he is cooler in summer (with less fur) and that he needs clipping less often. When winter comes, I use the 10 blade and probably let it grow out a bit to keep him warm. Never again am I using a 30 on the tummy!

Is it harmful to give him a shorter clip using the 30 blade - i mean in terms of fur molecules or blood circulation. I notice his body is generally very warm after a clip - with both the 30 and the 10 blade.

Edited by giraffez

Yes i know, big mistake. Never again! :(

The itching has settled down today "phew". Thanks all for the suggestions. He is still a bit irritated, just went to the supermarket looking for the Curash powder, never used it before so don't know what it looks like and asked the staff there. They didn't know what it was. Is it like baby powder? And what is apex cream and where could I get it?

I've clipped the body using a 10 before but i think its too long. I prefer the 30 clip - i know the schanuzer is usually a 7F or a 10. A 30 clip also means he is cooler in summer (with less fur) and that he needs clipping less often. When winter comes, I use the 10 blade and probably let it grow out a bit to keep him warm. Never again am I using a 30 on the tummy!

Is it harmful to give him a shorter clip using the 30 blade - i mean in terms of fur molecules or blood circulation. I notice his body is generally very warm after a clip - with both the 30 and the 10 blade.

His body isn't actually warmer, it feels that way to your touch because you have removed the coat hence the insulation between your hand and his skin. Same as with hairless breeds they "feel" warmer but the body temp is actually the same.

His body isn't actually warmer, it feels that way to your touch because you have removed the coat hence the insulation between your hand and his skin. Same as with hairless breeds they "feel" warmer but the body temp is actually the same.

Oh really? Even a little amount of fur has that much of an insulation effect? You learn something new every day :laugh:

Unless your mini has an enormously thick under coat there is no way i would use a #30.

We groom alot of minis & i think there is only one we have to use a #30 on & its a black with a horrid coat,generally a #30 will scalp them to nearly bald & then you have the sunburn risk & general itches as it regrows.

#15 is again only used on some dogs who have the coat tolerate that size blade.

Dont think using a #30 means less often because it doesnt & a #30 is harder to get through a coat that is over grown & increases clipper rash

Unless your mini has an enormously thick under coat there is no way i would use a #30.

We groom alot of minis & i think there is only one we have to use a #30 on & its a black with a horrid coat,generally a #30 will scalp them to nearly bald & then you have the sunburn risk & general itches as it regrows.

Dont think using a #30 means less often because it doesnt & a #30 is harder to get through a coat that is over grown & increases clipper rash

I find that when I use the 30, he is not nearly bald -still has quite some fur on him, i'll post it the next time I clip him. And the 30 doesn't make him look poodle like either.

I find that when I use the 30, he is not nearly bald -still has quite some fur on him, i'll post it the next time I clip him. And the 30 doesn't make him look poodle like either.

He is supposed to have fur, he is a Schnauzer, I don't quite get why you want him to look so skun.

A #10 is certainly as short as I would go, most that I do I use a #7 and they certainly don't suffer here in the Qld climate.

Edited by Crisovar