Does Anyone Know Canberra/queanbeyan ... Is It Me, Or ...

Queanbeyanite

... is this area not particularly dog-friendly? Or even anti-dog? We might be spoiled, as we have moved from Coffs Harbour where there are dog exercise areas and beaches by the dozen and almost everyone seems to have a dog. Or perhaps it's just more a city thing, not to be tolerant of dogs - of course Coffs is in the country and they are more understanding of animals ... or perhaps it's just me being paranoid? That's possible :(

Anyway, we've explored just about all the leash-free areas in Queanbeyan, none of which are very suitable for my dogs as they have no road sense whatsoever, and only one dog area here is fully fenced (and that's tiny). Sooo ... does anyone here know of any off-leash areas around Canberra, or outside? I've heard there are brown snakes in the bush so somewhere open would be best. If it was combined with a kids' play area that would be even better. I'd be really grateful for any recommendations!

Thanks to you all,

Claire :)

Claire, there's 2 fully fenced off leash areas in Canberra, with a 3rd on its way The TAMs website has a good listing of all the off leash sites, try Here

The two existing ones are on Lake Tuggeranong and Lake Ginnindera, at Belconnen and the one at Lake Gin does have a playground quite close. I hope you can make it to one of these and have fun!

A lot of the dog obedience clubs have exercise grounds that their members can use, so that's also worth keeping in mind if you were thinking of joining an obedience club locally.

Claire, there's 2 fully fenced off leash areas in Canberra, with a 3rd on its way The TAMs website has a good listing of all the off leash sites, try Here

The two existing ones are on Lake Tuggeranong and Lake Ginnindera, at Belconnen and the one at Lake Gin does have a playground quite close. I hope you can make it to one of these and have fun!

A lot of the dog obedience clubs have exercise grounds that their members can use, so that's also worth keeping in mind if you were thinking of joining an obedience club locally.

Thanks very much, that's so helpful ... we will do some exploring this weekend :laugh:

I agree Wuffles - I think Canberra is very dog friendly, but I also think Canberra in general is great - I hate visiting Sydney and other places and could not imagine travelling around with the dog out there - they aren't very green, but people obviously do it.

We also have lots of fun dog events and easy places to swim.

dogs aren't allowed within 10m (or 50m) of playgrounds if kids are on them

is that tiny offleash area the hoover road one? I've only been there once and can't really remember how big it was - but that might be an option for you

I hope you find an offleash area suitable for you :laugh:

I agree Wuffles - I think Canberra is very dog friendly, but I also think Canberra in general is great - I hate visiting Sydney and other places and could not imagine travelling around with the dog out there - they aren't very green, but people obviously do it.

We also have lots of fun dog events and easy places to swim.

dogs aren't allowed within 10m (or 50m) of playgrounds if kids are on them

is that tiny offleash area the hoover road one? I've only been there once and can't really remember how big it was - but that might be an option for you

I hope you find an offleash area suitable for you :)

Thank you to both of you! That's a great map, Wuffles, and I love Canberra too, Vehs - it's just that the dog areas in Queanbeyan are ordinary. We live by the showground and go in there every day, but it's "unofficial" - the council receptionist said "no comment" when I asked if dogs were allowed so I'm not sure if we're supposed to be in there. Yes, the tiny area is the Hoover Road one. My dogs had run out of sniffing material in five minutes :rolleyes: We go to The Scar every day on Southbar Road but I'm always looking for a little variety. Oh, I love Sydney but both my sons live there! (And I have never taken the dogs - they go to kennels when we go away.)

This page has good maps of dog off leash areas. There are quite a few reserve-type areas on the outskirts of suburbs that are away from roads.

I have actually found Canberra to be quite dog-friendly, lots of on-leash walks around lakes and such which dogs tend to love.

Wuffles, is that a good vet's? We haven't registered with one yet.

Wuffles, is that a good vet's? We haven't registered with one yet.

If you're in Queanbeyan, Hamish Cameron at West Queanbeyan is terrific.

Yep - Best vet in the area IMO :D (and by 'area', I mean Canberra and Queanbeyan :) )

You are not far from the ACT companion dog club. If you are a member you can use the clubs off-leash areas which are fenced. Their web site is here: http://www.actcdc.org.au/. The club also has obedience, agility and flyball training :laugh:

I agree with BittyMooPeeb - even if you only join as a grounds using member it is well worth joining the club - big, safely fenced off leash areas just full of interesting doggy smells. It is also flat and they mow the grass and there is a toilet and they provide poo bags.

Hi Queanbeyanite, and welcome to Quangers. We've been here for six years now. I think there are seven or eight off-lead areas in Queanbeyan, which I think is really quite good for what is essentially a small country town. The Hoover Rd one is really quite a big paddock, so I'm surprised your dogs get bored there. My main complaints with that site are the usual clueless dog owners who let their pack gallop over "just to say hi", and the lack of shade.

The Scar is nice for a walk up the hill, and there is plenty to sniff. We also like Bicentennial Park, which comes (roughly) off Tharwa Rd not far from the Southbar Rd end. Jack loves to run down the slippery dip if there are no kids at the playground :(

And, no, the Showgrounds are not officially an offlead area. The local dog obedience club used to train there and had to remind club members not to let their dogs offlead in the area. Which is a shame, as it's pretty well fenced and away from the road, not to mention rarely used!

Until the Lake Ginninderra and Lake Tuggeranong dog parks opened in the ACT, the only options I knew of in all of Canberra for fenced off-lead areas were at the dog clubs. So we really have it pretty good! And certainly almost everyone in my street has a dog. Our dog always gets lots of pats and friendly comments when we walk to a cafe in town or walk through the park.

My bug-bear with this area is the number of off-lead (ETA: roaming) dogs, but that seems to have dwindled a bit since we first moved here. That and the lack of a beach :(

Edited again :hug::rofl: If your dogs like a bit of a bushwalk/mountain goat track, head for Molonglo Gorge off Sutton Rd just near Queanbeyan. There are a few spots along the up-and-down, rocky walk for the dogs to take a dip along the way. I wouldn't recommend it in the peak of summer because of the risk of snakes, but we've done the walk a few times in spring and summer. There is a carpark and picnic tables at the start of the walk, and it ends at an area called Blue Tiles Recreation Area, I think it's called. There is some information here. We have camped (with the dog) at the Kowen Forest Recreational Area, just for a bit of fun, and lots of people seem to drive there to take their dogs for an off-lead wander through the pine forest if that's your thing.

Edited by Mooper