Another Hot Spot Question

Labkisses

Hi guys

I know there has been much discussion about hot spots, but this is the first time I've ever experienced them with my 2 labbies.

One of them is 3 and the other is 5. Neither have ever had a hot spot before, but suddenly on the weekend my 3 yr old got one and 2 days later my 5 yr old did too! The weird thing is that they both got them on the side of their face/neck.

The vet said that hot spots are not contagious..so does anyone have an idea why these would pop up, especially now since they are older and never had one before, and both around the same area of the face/neck?? We dont have a tick or flea problem, and their diet has not changed.

Also, how long roughly do they take to heal? My 3yr old's hot spot was quite large and pussy by the time we realised what it was and got her to the vet. They gave us some topical spray and antibiotics and instructions to wash her twice a day with malaseb. Its healing slowly... Now that I realised what a hot spot was thankfully we got our 5yr olds one in time before it got too deep and pussy so with advice from previous dogzonline posts we're just using betadine and curash for her with antibiotics from the vet.

Thank you in advance :rofl:

Hot spots can be cause from the area being too wet and moist so a fungal infection of the skin takes hold. This is common in labs and goldens for this reason i doont know about ur kids but i have never met a lab or a golden that will walk past a puddle without jumping in it lol, and if they are wet in the same area alot and not dried properly afterwards - ie was swimming at the beach or something so u dont exactly pull out the dryer for that one lol then the spot can become a hot spot.

Washing in malaseb is a great idea , and did the vet clip around the area?? if not do this as it will allow the skin to dry out better and also after the daily washes make sure u dry them REALLY well afterwards, Maybe avoid swimming for a little while until they are all healed up?? and best of all over the warmer months once a week do a quick check over ur dogs as a preventitive or early discovery method - best places to look are all around the neck the legs and underneath the tail.

Try to watch ur babies as well cause the creams and what not cant work if the dog licks them off :rofl: if they are licking heaps and u cant stop them then try an elizabethian collar - sorry if i spelt that wrong hehe

hope that helps :laugh:

Hot Spots can be caused by diet and even if there hasn't been a change, it could still be something that is the result of a slow buildup. Not all allergies are immediate. I'd be looking at that if both dogs got tham at the same time. Or perhaps it is a contact allergy and not a hotspot? Lots of things it could be really but the fact that both got them at once is what is leaping out at me.

Another treatment for hotspots is an anti-haemorrhoidal cream like Preparation-H. They are antifungal, antibacterial and anaesthetic so can heal, dry and help with the itchies at the same time.

It's also a good idea if you can to clip a "raft" around the hot spot. That leaves the hot spot bare and creates a barrier to the rest of the hair as well.

Thanks guys :welcome:

Yep the vet did clip both dogs, one of them has almost completely healed now thank goodness but it seems the betadine & curash powder isnt working so well for my other girl ;) I checked her this morning and it seems really sore and a worse than yesterday. I will check the chemist today for the anti-haemorrhoidal cream and give that a go.

I'm thinking maybe the wet and humid weather could be playing a part in them getting their hot spots, we've also just moved recently and they might be allergic to some sort of grass around our new area. Hopefully these nasty hot spots dont come up too often!

Thanks again!!

Hot spots are generally caused by an increase in the fungal spores in the grass. enerally brought about by the hot/moist/humid weather.

You are doing the right thing.

But the only thing I wouldnt of done was clip the area, especially with a show dog, but that is only my opinion.

My Bullmastiff bitch had a hot spot on her head. It healed itself. I just took all the hair off as much as I could. It wasnt very big

we never clip hot spit areas.

Hot spots are the unknown factors,

Diet,insect bites,wet,damp,collars that stay moist underneath.Ungroomed coats etc etc

We find hydrogen peroxide (3%) chemist or the likes to work very well

For my long coat GSD's i just use the curash - don't have to clip the coats and within 2-3 days the hotspot is completely gone ;)

I have heard Curash is a miracle cure, but is it recommended for when it's at it's pussy/wet kind of stage. We have had constant rain since Sunday and we are expecting much the same for the next week, so it's getting harder and harder to keep him dry, hence the reason he developed it in the first place and is having trouble healing :o He won't let us close enough to put ANYTHING on it and because it's on top of his head it's even hard to distract him coz he's always moving his head. The powder would be a great idea, I just don't want to use it if it's going to make it worse now that it's at the pussy kind of stage :( If you wouldn't recommend Curash, is there something that we can get that is able to be sprayed on him instead of having to apply or drop?

Heres a link i got for hot spot ..

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/hot_spots.html

Some of them swear by ACV. ive tried it on Bourbon a couple of times n it does work, the hot spot dries up, scab n peeled off.

Lately, ive bathed him with Malaseb n then spray him all over with Permoxin because he decided that he hates the smell of ACV!

He got them around his groin area becos he love sleeping the 'frog-leg' position lol!

Edited by tivins

Thanks Tini, think I might put some ACV and water in a spray bottle and give that a go for a couple of days, if it starts healing up maybe then i'll give the curash a go :o It's gonna be tricky in this weather, but hopefully it helps it :(

Do you apply straight ACV???

I read to dilute 1 tablespoon ACV and 1 tablespoon water...hopefully the water dosen't make it either too dilluted that it doesn't work and hopefully it doesn't leave it to damp either.

Hot spots can be the result of allergies but those about the neck and face can sometimes be attributed to dogs playing "bitey" face.

Gold Bond powder works great, dries it up and relieves the itch.

I use Listerine mouth wash - the original yellow stuff. The alcohol and anti-bacterial properties in the mouth wash clear up hot spots within 3-5 days.

Listerine was recommended to me by my vet. The problem with a lot of other topical treatments and antibiotic creams is that they allow the spot to stay moist, when you want it to dry out as well as kill the bacteria causing the issue.

I use Listerine mouth wash - the original yellow stuff. The alcohol and anti-bacterial properties in the mouth wash clear up hot spots within 3-5 days.

Listerine was recommended to me by my vet. The problem with a lot of other topical treatments and antibiotic creams is that they allow the spot to stay moist, when you want it to dry out as well as kill the bacteria causing the issue.

I have tried everything and I find that listerine works the best as well :D , if i catch them early they usually heal up in a day or 2. I have found a few this summer on my lot, i think all the rain and high humidity are to blame as they haven't had any changes in diet.