What Diet Should I Be Giving My Dane Puppy?

Maddi1146

Hi I have a 8 month old Great Dane puppy and to 8year old Labradors.

I am wondering if any one has some suggestions as to what I should be feeding them?

I had one of my Labs at the vet last week due to weight loss and she recommended increasing the food which I have but now my Dane is trying to get the Labs food as they are on wet food aswell as dry.

She gets dry food only as I have been told that any other food can cause her bones to grow incorrectly. She was eating whole raw chickens when I first got her.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Maddi

I read that Eagl pack holistic large/giant breed puppy has been specifically tested on Great Dane pups with great results. We used it for awhile on my borzoi pup with success though my boy ate a lot of it and now we have switched to Artemis. I'm going to give eagle pack another go as i still have an unopened bag here and the protein levels are supposed to be better, though artemis seems to have less fillers. i think i've confused myself.

She was eating whole raw chickens when I first got her.

This isn't necessarily a bad starting point if you were interested in ditching the dry and feeding raw.

Perhaps the breeder was feeding raw and you've misunderstood their feeding instructions? Presuming of course that the puppy is from a reputable breeder and you actually GOT any!

If your puppy IS from a breeder, I personally would contact them and as their advice. Any breeder worth their salt would give it freely.

She was eating whole raw chickens when I first got her.

This isn't necessarily a bad starting point if you were interested in ditching the dry and feeding raw.

I would be very hesitant about feeding a raw diet to a growing dane unless you can get the ratios needed for slow steady growth spot on. A giant (or large) breed specific dry food is the safest option until growth is finished.

As stormie said - please come into the dane thread: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=188608 - we have a range of dane people in there - breeders, show people, pet owners and among them a heck of a lot of knowledge.

She is eating Science Diet Large Breed Puppy and is getting 3cups in the morning and 2 1/2cups at night.

I am getting minced chicken carcasses for her tomorrow. I an also thinking of getting some marrow bones for her coz my labs love them and the vet has said this is fine.

Any ideas please tell.

One very good idea - get her off the Hills! It is full of fillers and I do not think I know of any dane owners who feed it.

Look at Nutrience, Pro Plan and Eagle Pack.

At 8 months I was feeding about 8 cups a day. At 18 months I am feeding 6 cups of Eagle Pack a day.

I would give her whole chicken carcasses not minced ones.

Marrow bones are good for chewing. Lamp flaps can be a good too.

Who is your dane from?

Edited by Danois

Obviously I stand corrected but I do still wonder if the breeder may have been feeding raw to their adult dogs and whether the chicken was in addition to other foods?

Yes, head into the Dane thread but the BREEDER should be first port of call.

I have had her for 5months. She was was eating science diet dry food and 1 chicken carcasses morning and night.

I feed her the science diet.

I started her on marrow bones tonight and she loves them.

I have tried to post on the other page but it won't let me. :thumbsup:

I have had her for 5months. She was was eating science diet dry food and 1 chicken carcasses morning and night.

I feed her the science diet.

I started her on marrow bones tonight and she loves them.

I have tried to post on the other page but it won't let me. :(

Ok coolies :mad Which Science Diet are you feeding? The thing with growing Dane puppies is they need to be feed certain percentages of protein/phos.

With your Breeder, are they are Registered Breeder who are knowledgable enough to give you advice on what to feed your puppy, although Dane puppies should be fed certain percentages different lines do well on different foods i.e. you have different style Danes; Euro, American, Italian etc.

Marrow bones aren't really a 'food' as they are too hard for most dogs/pups to chew properly and digest.They may also splinter, and yes, the marrow itself is very fatty and can cause stomach upsets!

The best bones for her are ones she can completely crunch up - like chicken carcasses/lamb flaps/rootails....

At least you are feeding a large breed specific food. Even though I would not be recommending the Hills one. Our dogs are all raised on Euk Large Breed Puppy, chicken as the basis of our diet for a growing Dane pup. I also give chicken necks, fruits, vegetables but the Euk is the basis of the diet.

Hi

I dont have great danes, but i do have newfoubdlands and my vet always told me to sprinkle milk powder over the top of the dry food as this gives it a boost of calcium which was needed for growing big bones, not sure if its right or if it helps, but i never had problems with my newfies i did it on.

Rebecca

Hi

I dont have great danes, but i do have newfoubdlands and my vet always told me to sprinkle milk powder over the top of the dry food as this gives it a boost of calcium which was needed for growing big bones, not sure if its right or if it helps, but i never had problems with my newfies i did it on.

Rebecca

No no no!

Do not give a giant breed calcium supplements!

The decent dry food has the appropriate ratios of calcium already in it.

If you add a supplement then you are throwing the balance out and risking issues with growth.