Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I have had a dog with fear issues and have overcome them and seen some amazing trainers overcome fears in their dogs. You are a good trainer so don't just give up....think outside the box and find other ways to deal with the problem :laugh: . I think there has been some lumping going on...not your fault but remember she is your dog and you can, and should, say no if you think something is overwhelming to her. I would be inclined to teach her on a low plank set up between two tables on low height. Teach her to jump on and off the plank from anywhere....this will give her confidence that if she needs to bail she can. Teach her to turn around on the plank and do figure of eights so it doesn't hold any fear for her. No need to do a full size dog walk until she is very confident on the plank.

Next I shoved a small step under one end and got her happy and confident with "side-loading"

What is side-loading? :D

Part of the game has also been teaching her to walk backwards onto the plank and along the plank on the ground. Same thing with the step underneath.

At no stage has she been across a full sized dogwalk yet. She's been asked to jump up onto the top section of a short dog walk and turn left and right with me on either side so I know she's fully comfortable with that dog walk, it's width and turning both ways. She is totally confident where her feet are.

Great idea with the walking backwards and turning ;)

She's not been over a seesaw either but has had plenty of reinforcement for the bang game. I'll teach her the full dog walk first (she doesn't need the seesaw til excellent anyway) and then add the seesaw only when she is 110% confident of the dog walk.

Well I never thought we'd be doing the seesaw in class yet because of the fact seesaw isn't introduced until Excellent and we're not even in the trialling nor pre-trialling Novice class yet! Just in Elementary. The dogs are not 100% confident on the dogwalk yet either. I regret putting her over the seesaw so soon.

She is being rewarded for jumping all over both ends and has even tried jumping up onto the top plank of the baby dogwalk, so she can clearly see it won't tip! But now I think it's not a tipping issue, because she had this fear before. The seesaw caused her to freak a bit and yes I think it was transferred to the dogwalk, so now she has just lost confidence in the dogwalk altogether because I think she feels like she is going to step off the edge. I'm concerned because this fear was already in her, and she hasn't overcome it like I first thought.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When starting agility were told to choose a release word not usually used in every day.

Meh, I'm doing it wrong then. OK is my release word for everything (well, except for dinner, that one is "take it" :laugh:), so it is easiest for me to use it in agility, too.

I wanna know what gumby word you tried out briefly, now :D

When starting agility were told to choose a release word not usually used in every day.

Meh, I'm doing it wrong then. OK is my release word for everything (well, except for dinner, that one is "take it" :laugh:), so it is easiest for me to use it in agility, too.

I wanna know what gumby word you tried out briefly, now :D

I also use 'ok' for everything.... ;)

I have had a dog with fear issues and have overcome them and seen some amazing trainers overcome fears in their dogs. You are a good trainer so don't just give up....think outside the box and find other ways to deal with the problem :laugh: . I think there has been some lumping going on...not your fault but remember she is your dog and you can, and should, say no if you think something is overwhelming to her. I would be inclined to teach her on a low plank set up between two tables on low height. Teach her to jump on and off the plank from anywhere....this will give her confidence that if she needs to bail she can. Teach her to turn around on the plank and do figure of eights so it doesn't hold any fear for her. No need to do a full size dog walk until she is very confident on the plank.

Yes, lumping big time was happening even when I set out at the beginning to NOT go too fast too soon. I wanted some solid foundations but by attending class to learn foundations, it caused a lot of rushing and lumping. Not blaming class, I blame myself for not taking that information away with me and then actioning it as necessary. I got caught in the trap of doing it in class, like you'd normally do or why else would you go to class? But too fast, too soon. Which is an easy call in hindsight, you always seem to learn things from your mistakes and hopefully do better next time! Just a bit down that Ruby had to be the guinea pig in that scenario. She usually copes very well with being my training guinea pig!!

Hmm, think outside the box, not too sure I'm very good at that! Gosh I have sooooo much to learn when it comes to training dogs and dog behaviour! Lucky I'm persistent and hate giving up :D

How much agility rear end stuff have you done - obviously you have for obedience turns, what about ladder work, jump bars on the ground - can she walk backwards, forwards over things on the ground like that? Walk down steps one foot/step at a time, walk backwards up a set of steps?

None :laugh:

Yes, lumping big time was happening even when I set out at the beginning to NOT go too fast too soon. I wanted some solid foundations but by attending class to learn foundations, it caused a lot of rushing and lumping. Not blaming class, I blame myself for not taking that information away with me and then actioning it as necessary. I got caught in the trap of doing it in class, like you'd normally do or why else would you go to class? But too fast, too soon. Which is an easy call in hindsight, you always seem to learn things from your mistakes and hopefully do better next time! Just a bit down that Ruby had to be the guinea pig in that scenario. She usually copes very well with being my training guinea pig!!

Hmm, think outside the box, not too sure I'm very good at that! Gosh I have sooooo much to learn when it comes to training dogs and dog behaviour! Lucky I'm persistent and hate giving up :D

Its really hard training a dog to do something for the first time, I constantly question myself because Mason is the first dog I have trained, but put it this way there is always a first time for everything and I just try my best its all anyone can do ;)

I wanna know what gumby word you tried out briefly, now ;)

It was quite amusing, she was using Rosie's 'proper' name :D

I use ok for everything too!

Guest RosieFT

Amy!!!!! :rofl: hee hee . Well it probably applied most of the time, especially when things go wrong LOL

Perhaps i should try 'Dixie" i thought it was taken, but apparantly not hee hee

Thanks for the tips guys.. hmmm.. perhaps i should just stick with ok for everything...

I've been a bit under the weather the last few days so Zig hasn't had enough exercise or training to keep the heebie jeebies at bay :rofl:

Yesterday I took him outside and decided to give his Spotted brain a workout. He is learning the very basics of the seekback - mostly straight lines with the occassional turn if he is on fire. So we heeled in a straight line, discretely dropped the article, about turn and halt. Send. Well, it wasn't quite what I expected! Zig took off on the correct line, did a couple of bucks like a young colt with too many oats, did 2 zoomie style laps of the grassed area before returning to heel with a huge satisfied grin on his face :rofl: It was very hard to keep a straight face! I sent him again. He bolted out on the line with a couple of bucks, found the article and sprinted back to present it to me. I would prefer if he concentrated a bit more on the whole scent thing but I have no doubt that will come with time and understanding. At least I can't fault his enthusiasm!

I've been a bit under the weather the last few days so Zig hasn't had enough exercise or training to keep the heebie jeebies at bay :rofl:

Yesterday I took him outside and decided to give his Spotted brain a workout. He is learning the very basics of the seekback - mostly straight lines with the occassional turn if he is on fire. So we heeled in a straight line, discretely dropped the article, about turn and halt. Send. Well, it wasn't quite what I expected! Zig took off on the correct line, did a couple of bucks like a young colt with too many oats, did 2 zoomie style laps of the grassed area before returning to heel with a huge satisfied grin on his face :rofl: It was very hard to keep a straight face! I sent him again. He bolted out on the line with a couple of bucks, found the article and sprinted back to present it to me. I would prefer if he concentrated a bit more on the whole scent thing but I have no doubt that will come with time and understanding. At least I can't fault his enthusiasm!

You gotta love them! Ella gets like this when I haven't done anything with her in a few days! I missed 2 days of training earlier in the week and when I finally got a chance to do something with her she was bouncing straight up in the air beside me at least to my chest height (I'm 5'9) so pretty big jumps! :rofl: It's nice when they are excited to do some training!

Are any WA Dolers doing the upcoming ADAA trial? I need to read more about the ADAA but what are the main differences between that and the regular ANKC agility? Thanks :) .

Just looking at the brag's thread and notice that dropping in sit stays is a bit of a common bug bear :)

Given that's what blew our last pass in Novice, just curious as to how people work on it.

I do longer than the 1 minute sit stays and reward really well for sticking it. I also work my young dog around Darcy as a distraction while she's in a sit. She's not bothered by other dogs at all so I don't believe it's that.

What do people do when their dog drops? Remove the opportunity for reward? Return and ask the dog to sit and do it again? How do you put them back into the sit?

Is it just practise practise and more practise? How often would you do a sit stay?

Just looking at the brag's thread and notice that dropping in sit stays is a bit of a common bug bear :thumbsup:

Given that's what blew our last pass in Novice, just curious as to how people work on it.

I do longer than the 1 minute sit stays and reward really well for sticking it. I also work my young dog around Darcy as a distraction while she's in a sit. She's not bothered by other dogs at all so I don't believe it's that.

What do people do when their dog drops? Remove the opportunity for reward? Return and ask the dog to sit and do it again? How do you put them back into the sit?

Is it just practise practise and more practise? How often would you do a sit stay?

Believe me - Sit stays become and even bigger problem when you combine them with UD stays at the same trial and it always works out that you do UD stays first :thumbsup:

I actually think it is easier for a dog to do sit stays when there are things going on around them - it keeps them occupied - I find my kids are more inclined to drop when nothing is happening. Not sure what other think.

If my kids drop during a sit stay at a trial - I will ask to be excused from the down stay. I used to take them out of the ring and ask them for another sit stay - BUT of course they would sit there and not move and then I would reward them. But what message was this giving them - hmm that it was OK to fail the first one because I will give you another go. So now if they fail they get put back in the car with no reward and I go and beat my head against the nearest brick wall :thumbsup:

At training we tend to mix up the stays - sometimes doing a down first and then a sit, or doing a stand stay inbetween the sit and the down. Have to be honest and say we very rarely time any of our training stays.

As you can see from the brags thread - sit stays have been an issue for me - so please disregard all of the above :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by Ptolomy

Is it just practise practise and more practise?

Just a lot of praying in my case :thumbsup:

Before going into the ring today for stays, I practiced a few short sit stays, probably 30 secs each. Then worked on opposition reflex by pulling on the lead not only outwards, but downwards too and rewarded her for maintaining position. Pulling downwards was a good one to do because my girl gets bored on sit stays and leans down towards the grass to sniff/eat it, and then that leads to her laying down. I think I'll be doing a lot more of this now :thumbsup:

I actually think it is easier for a dog to do sit stays when there are things going on around them - it keeps them occupied - I find my kids are more inclined to drop when nothing is happening. Not sure what other think.

YES!! Ruby gets bored sh*tless if there is nothing going on so opts for grass sniffing to occupy her. If there is something going on outside, she is more alert and keeps looking around instead of putting her head down :thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

Then worked on opposition reflex by pulling on the lead not only outwards, but downwards too and rewarded her for maintaining position. Pulling downwards was a good one to do because my girl gets bored on sit stays and leans down towards the grass to sniff/eat it, and then that leads to her laying down. I think I'll be doing a lot more of this now :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Then worked on opposition reflex by pulling on the lead not only outwards, but downwards too and rewarded her for maintaining position. Pulling downwards was a good one to do because my girl gets bored on sit stays and leans down towards the grass to sniff/eat it, and then that leads to her laying down. I think I'll be doing a lot more of this now :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup: You're more than just a pretty face there, Ptolomy, you also have some good training tips :thumbsup:

LOL I got the opposite problem a dog who sits up in the drop stay :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: . Think she just likes to go against the trend but hey she did a 7 min down at the trial today so fingers crossed when she needs to she can do one.

I use a variation of the TOT method and a bit of close supervision.

Ie when I'm working on that - and I've just noticed she's gone back to dropping in the middle of the sit stay and I've been slack about correcting it...

Prepare dinner while dog is in a sit stay. Each time dog breaks - go fix it up with a minimum of fuss. Dog hopefully figures out that doing something different to what is asked is going to delay dinner.

Put dinner down in front of dog and use a stop watch to get a sit stay of whatever length you want extra. If dog drops, fix it up immediately and make it do a shorter sit stay and release - cos you want the dog to get it right so you can praise. Then work on extending the time for each new practice session (ie dinner).