Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Had a members comp at my club today, with retired judge Margaret Deakes. Had our first go in open, and ended up on 163 NQ. Really happy with Annie as we were both learning our way around it. First go retrieving in the ring, and only lost minor points for a squiffy sit after the solid jump.

Failed the broad jump (those boards are for jumping on didn't you know :D ) and had to tell her twice to sit on COP. But she did her stays :) lost three points in the drop stay for fidgeting.

Great work Nik and Annie :) I don't do broad jump as Ava thinks the best way is to run straight over the boards. Are you going to enter any Open trials this year?

I'm thinking I might enter Croydon, which is the last here for the year. At least I know what to work on! I knew our COP wasn't up to scratch, and she eventually did it without creeping forward so that made me happy.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a members comp at my club today, with retired judge Margaret Deakes.

We met Margaret a couple of years ago when we came to Victoria for the National Obedience Champs. She is a lovely lady and we were sorry to hear she was retiring

Well done on your first attempt at open thumbsup1.gif

Had a members comp at my club today, with retired judge Margaret Deakes. Had our first go in open, and ended up on 163 NQ. Really happy with Annie as we were both learning our way around it. First go retrieving in the ring, and only lost minor points for a squiffy sit after the solid jump.

Failed the broad jump (those boards are for jumping on didn't you know :D ) and had to tell her twice to sit on COP. But she did her stays :) lost three points in the drop stay for fidgeting.

Great work Nik and Annie :) I don't do broad jump as Ava thinks the best way is to run straight over the boards. Are you going to enter any Open trials this year?

I'm thinking I might enter Croydon, which is the last here for the year. At least I know what to work on! I knew our COP wasn't up to scratch, and she eventually did it without creeping forward so that made me happy.

Hey Nik great minds think alike :laugh: I have Croydon ear maked as our last trial for this year toooo, we will be doing Novice :laugh:

All quiet in here lately. We are plodding along. Not sure how CD ready we are but we still have a few weeks. Main problem is our left about turns. Heading back to training next Wednesday in preparation for our next trial on 29th. Im hoping we title because our biggest fan will be there..my BF :laugh: He saw our dismal first attempt so would be nice for him to see how far we have come!

Good Luck SLLH, hope you get a pass :crossfingers:

We had trial training tonight at FOO :thumbsup: Orlando did well still have to fine tune heel work but our Instructor said if we were being scored, perfect scores for everything else & not quite a pass for heelwork (Novice )

Mailka needs to stop pulling on heel, stop tippy toe dancing for SFE, Recall & Stays perfect :cheer: the Instructor loved her Recall, she was a Bull out of the shoot & then had to slam the brakes on :rofl: so she wouldnt crash into me. On the Recalls & stays I expected her to take off on me :dancingelephant: I was so happy she stayed, as she does have a habit of doing (CCD)

Edited by murve

Open training for us last night. Did our first full drop on recall which was lovely, and she did a GORGEOUS retrieve over jump which I was so happy with. SFE was also nice as we did it in a group of three dogs so it was a long time to keep all 4 feet still! I remember when she used to wriggle her little bum and have to try SO hard to keep still whereas these days she knows what it's all about and ignores the person completely!

Not so good points were COP (didn't do the sit, even though she has been doing it nicely all week in training) and her focus in general was not brilliant. Stays were ok but when I went out of sight on the drop she sat up.

Good luck everyone for upcoming trials. I am missing trialling and we won't be ready until next year (which I guess isn't that far away). We are going overseas in February so I am hoping Ava will remember everything when I get back!

I've been busy training for UD, with varying degrees of success (and failures).

Ruby is moving along nicely, leaving Millie in her dust eek1.gif

With Ptolomy's help on Monday we did scent work with distractions laid out around the pile. She at one stage picked up a 1m piece of pvc pipe and I thought she was going to bring that back to me, but she was a good girl and spat it out and found the right article :) She got all 3 articles, too thumbsup1.gif

I tried it again last night but went one step too far. I put an isqueak in the pile eek1.gif Yeah... that was never going to work rofl1.gif I then put it halfway between me and the pile and she then ignored it, to again nail all 3 articles thumbsup1.gif

Gloves need some major work!

Had someone call us a round of signals heelwork and Ruby didn't miss a single position :D But I would have DQ'd because I said "heel" at the start peg :olaugh.gif

We won't be trialling in UD this year, we'll hopefully debut next year if training stays on track. 3 more trials left for the year for me so we'll just do Open :)

You are doing well Rubystar and promise to help you with gloves - when I get back wink.gif

LOL at going one step too far with the i-squeak. I went through this with the dumbbell work (thanks Caffy) and to begin with, it was a case of "what db" you have my i-squeak and that's all that matters. Then we progressed to Caffy having the i-squeak and that did her head in, and then Caffy squeaking the i-squeak as she ran out to the db, and in the end I had 4-5 i-squeaks on the ground which she would have to run through to get the db. She couldn't always do it and I remember on lots of occasions having to go and retrieve the dog and/or the i-squeak, but her rewards when she did do it were priceless and so was the look on her face.

You never know maybe we can make our debut in UD on the same night - Ruby and Soggy eek1.gif Pity the poor judge that night eh!

You are doing well Rubystar and promise to help you with gloves - when I get back wink.gif

thumbsup1.gif:thanks:

You never know maybe we can make our debut in UD on the same night - Ruby and Soggy eek1.gif Pity the poor judge that night eh!

eek1.gif Think Soggy will be ready before Ruby :laugh: But definitely keep me in the loop with when you anticipate debuting her and I might be swayed to "just do it" because it's not like I expect anything out of it :laugh:

Edit: My plans so far are to debut her in a night trial. Don't need to add to the stress by entering a daytime trial. She will run out of puff shortly into it if it's during the day! So it's either going to happen early in the new year or late in the new year!

Edited by RubyStar

:rofl: thats what we did RS and Ness only failed by the smallest of margins :rofl:. Considering I didn't think she was close at all she did well. Looking forward to Kenz's debut in UD next year too but unlike you guys we still have to get through Open.

:rofl: thats what we did RS and Ness only failed by the smallest of margins :rofl:. Considering I didn't think she was close at all she did well. Looking forward to Kenz's debut in UD next year too but unlike you guys we still have to get through Open.

Well once we have directed jumping happening, I think I won't feel so eek1.gif about entering. It's the only exercise we haven't trained yet (the jump part of it). The other exercises she knows or has had exposure to, though not trial ready, and we could try winging it laugh.gif

:laugh: hmmm who trains DJ - yours have done agility they know what a jump is :rofl:.

They know jumps probably too well, and want to take the jump on the way out there ;)

And their distance work in agility is lacking, so taking a jump "over there" when they could come directly to me for a reward is more appealing as it's the faster route :p

OK Rubystar - our debut will be the Northern Suburbs night night (first one for the year) in February - deal?????

eek1.gif Away from home grounds? :o

Since when is NS the first trial of the year? I thought it was SR? I've never trialled at NS before so maybe I am just confused laugh.gif

OK, it's a deal, especially since you are ever so nice and are going to help me and blondie be ready, right? ;) rofl1.gif

Babies???? You are worse than me Ptolomy! I have only just put Zac into puppy class! Technically he is still a puppy at 11 months and mentally I reckon he is about 6 months!!!!

I'm just calling all training FLOGIT!!!!! Where have my downs gone???? FLOGIT!!!

OK Rubystar - our debut will be the Northern Suburbs night night (first one for the year) in February - deal?????

eek1.gif Away from home grounds? :o

Since when is NS the first trial of the year? I thought it was SR? I've never trialled at NS before so maybe I am just confused laugh.gif

OK, it's a deal, especially since you are ever so nice and are going to help me and blondie be ready, right? ;) rofl1.gif

Doitdoitdoit!!!!!

UD is fun and character building and the best trained dog goes out there and says "you want me to do what?" :rofl: :rofl: The more to commiserate with the better.

Looking at first trial back for us in February as well!!!