Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone here do Obedience with a dog that is not food orientated? The reason I ask is because my puppy could not care less about food and the club I'm currently at is all about training through food and we are getting left out and ignored because she is the problem dog :laugh: .

She is not being overfed (as we have been accused of a few times by various trainers when she doesn't want the food :mad ) and we have tried every sort of treat out there to get her attention but its just not motivating enough for her.

Does anybody else use different type of rewards in training? what methods have you found most effective

Have you tried tugging? At agility on Sunday, someone used a leaf as a motivator for their dog, so the possibilities are endless!

The great thing about food is that it is instant and quick. Once you know what your dog likes, you can transfer that value to food too.

Does anyone here do Obedience with a dog that is not food orientated? The reason I ask is because my puppy could not care less about food and the club I'm currently at is all about training through food and we are getting left out and ignored because she is the problem dog :laugh: .

She is not being overfed (as we have been accused of a few times by various trainers when she doesn't want the food :mad ) and we have tried every sort of treat out there to get her attention but its just not motivating enough for her.

Does anybody else use different type of rewards in training? what methods have you found most effective

Poppy is much more into 'me' then food. She does work for food but if I don't use food and talk to her/pat her I pretty much get the same or better result. This is pack drive.

If it's valuable to your pup, then it's a reward! Between my 2 dogs I use food, tugging, verbal praise, play with me, play with each other, retrieving, freedom to run and chase birdies (Em) or sniff and pee (Zig). Even a drink of water can be a reward for hard work (especially when we're retrieving training). Don't give up on food though as I find youngsters can go through a stage of not caring at all about it. It's a very handy, precise reward though so worth making valuable. I tend to start by feeding all meals as training treats through the day. You can achieve an awful lot with a cup of dry food (or raw if that's what you're feeding).

Edited by The Spotted Devil

What did you want to know Murve?

I was there earlier in the week and will be there again tomorrow (I am trying to convice myself it's my training ground :laugh:), ground was nice and dry even though it had rained a fair bit.......rug up though! It started raining while I was training and while Jovi was fine I was freezing as it was windy too. It's not meant to rain Saturday but who knows!

What did you want to know Murve?

I was there earlier in the week and will be there again tomorrow (I am trying to convice myself it's my training ground :laugh:), ground was nice and dry even though it had rained a fair bit.......rug up though! It started raining while I was training and while Jovi was fine I was freezing as it was windy too. It's not meant to rain Saturday but who knows!

Hi Tollersowned just wondering what the grounds would be like, good underfoot or maybe sluggish :eek: , I think I will put in my HR boots anyway, my wet gear lives in my car :D

Go for it Its your ground :laugh: :laugh:

We expect it to be cold anyway

It's really good underfoot, it's on a soccer ground so has really good drainage, grassy and flat! :thumbsup:

I was training in my uggies on Tuesday, so definately not slushy :o

Edited by tollersowned

training with Orlando was shit this alvo, Hormones running to high, he keeps trying to hump the pups & wont work,:eek: even though I took him over to the high school

I was not really expecting this even after our bitch has not been here for a week (she is in season) :eek:

Good luck for Hastings! I was planning on joining you but my entry got lost in the mail and arrived too late :o . Thankfully my entry for Broadmeadows on the Sunday made it in time, so I'm not trial-less this weekend!

Quick question from me too... if your dog sits when you return from the SFE, is that an NQ? We never had this problem until training last night (go figure!) and she did it two times in a row. I hope we've re-inforced that she stays standing now, but you never know :laugh: .

It's really good underfoot, it's on a soccer ground so has really good drainage, grassy and flat! :thumbsup:

I was training in my uggies on Tuesday, so definately not slushy :o

apparently it will be on the Little Aths ground according to schedule

Good luck for Hastings! I was planning on joining you but my entry got lost in the mail and arrived too late :o . Thankfully my entry for Broadmeadows on the Sunday made it in time, so I'm not trial-less this weekend!

Quick question from me too... if your dog sits when you return from the SFE, is that an NQ? We never had this problem until training last night (go figure!) and she did it two times in a row. I hope we've re-inforced that she stays standing now, but you never know :laugh: .

Sorry to hear you missed out on Hastings :(

just checked the R & Regs it dose not say anything about sitting after returning, sorry cant really help, I think it may depend on when the dog sit before or after the Judge says "Exercise Finish"

Good luck for Broady on Sunday

Yes Nik it would be an NQ because it is breaking position.

I hear you on things breaking before trials as this morning Ava has decided that she has never heard the word "stand" before. It means the same as sit, right? :o

ETA: And I was a very, very BAD trainer, got frustrated with her and managed to break her COP too. Thankfully all she needed on that one was a bit of encouragement and play... bad, bad mummy.

Edited by wuffles

Sitting here reading the posts and I feel sorry for you all - been there done that where you enter a trial and things start breaking.

Good luck to everybody over the weekend. :thumbsup:

Bedazzled and I have arrived in Brisbane, been shopping, found the bottle shop and will head out to Durack this morning for a bit of a training session. The boys seem to have travelled well which is good news.

I look forward to reading about lots of good results tomorrow night.

Gawd you guys are making me nervous and I am not even trialling :rofl: I am a hopeless case!

Good luck everyone.

hi JulesP don't worry even the experienced trialers have bad hair days :rofl: & no you are not a hopeless case, we all have to start somewhere :D

I an relatively new to trialing, so I know where you are comming from

I think I might have an advantage, a old girlfriend of mine (lost contact with her), but we found each other, is arriving at my place this alvo, she doing the same trial as me,

We will be doing hard slogging with our kids after she arrives :laugh:

That will be fun after last nights effect where my boy decided the trees over the other end of the oval was more interesting than doing a recall with me :eek:

Just remember to have fun, go in the ring relaxed, have a smile on your face & you may find the dog will work better, that is what a couple of judges have told me :D