Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Congratulations!!!! :) :) :)

LOL :) Did you have a tipple before you went in the ring??? Probably a bit early for that eh!!!!

Yep was pretty hot. I was a bit worried in the sit stay because of it.

Am now plonked on the veranda with a bottle of wine so can unwind now!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am working on Cindy's SFE under distraction.

I had her and my daughter's dog in a park. Cindy is doing well, Maia is sniffing around-great so far.

Along comes a rabbit.

Maia takes off after it. Cindy hides behind me. :laugh: or should it be :cheer:

BTW Maia's recalls under distraction are not bad!

Not sure I will try retreiving with Cindy!

This is probably a stupid question - but if you're going to train using a marker word such as yes, do you first need to 'charge' the word like you would a clicker?

Yes, you would need to. In practice, I don't technically 'charge' the clicker anyway.....just wait for pup to focus on me, click then treat. Within a few attempts they work out what's going on - too smart for me by half!!!

This is probably a stupid question - but if you're going to train using a marker word such as yes, do you first need to 'charge' the word like you would a clicker?

Yes, you would need to. In practice, I don't technically 'charge' the clicker anyway.....just wait for pup to focus on me, click then treat. Within a few attempts they work out what's going on - too smart for me by half!!!

Ok, so it doesn't need to be too formal then - thanks!

Well done Jules!

We went to a rally-o demo today. It was quite hot in the middle of the day when we did an advanced run out, and I didn't switch Daisy on before we went in and she got caught on a scent so I withdrew her. I was SO dishearted! But we gave the novice ring a go a little bit later and she did quite well, everyone was asking me if it was the same dog from earlier :cheer: I was quite pleased with her focus and drive in the second run out... more like the beagle I am used to having :laugh:

Edited by huski

I don't bother charging the clicker any more...that kinda went out a while ago as current thinking is that you may as well pay up for what the dog is doing at the time and work from there. I would be the same with a marker word. To put it into a scenario where I was training the sit for example, I would lure the sit, mark with "YES" and treat.... or if pure shaping and I were to train for attention, I would wait until the dog looks at me and immediately "YES" and treat.

Generally I like to use a clicker in the beginning stages of training and say yes at the same time to condition the word incidentally. I then fade the clicker.

:thumbsup: @ Ptolomy.

Interesting question, ish - I'm a bit the same as bedazzledx2. In the puppy classes I teach at dog club, I mention the clicker, but get them to use 'Yes' (excited) as a marker - we start with eye contact/focus exercise, so they're getting a high rate of mark/reward anyway in that first exercise. (The pups tend to 'get it' faster than the handlers :rofl: .)

I do charge my 'yes' word. I think apart from charging the 'yes' it starts to create that bond between dog and handler.

Ok thinking now about training and what needed to be approved on yesterday!

Recall presents. I do all the close presents in training. But it isn't transferring into nice presents in a trial situation. I have my hands in front in the same place as if I had food. One reason I think is Poppy wants to see my face so she likes to sit a bit further away. I also can't get a consistent straight finish.

The other weird thing is maybe our first 4 steps off from the post she goes wide and then comes back in. During the last week I was rewarding heavily for the first step. Didn't translate into the trial though. So she is sitting at the post giving me focus. We step off and she looks away, no tail wagging, 4 or so steps in I get the focus back and tail wagging. Really weird. Means she is usually wide on the stand for exam. I did my recall up the other end and had a lovely lead up.

Any ideas on those 2?

I might also throw this one in JulesP - Poppy might be watching you but is she actually engaged with you when your at the start peg. Is it possible that she is watching you but switching off a little by sitting there so when you do go to take off she is caught off guard rather than ready to go.

In relation to your fronts - have you tried through food between your legs and having Poppy run through your legs after a bit of food. That tends to bring them in a little closer and if you keep them guessing then you might find she comes in closer at a trial.

JulesP usually a dog goes wide because you are stepping into her - get somebody to video you from behind to see what is happening.

she only does it from the post though? Doesn't matter which side of the post I go on.

What do you do in training when she does this?
Yep does the same at training. Any time I walk off from a post.

Only just realised she is doing it. :laugh: I've only had 3 training sessions were I've been not freaked out enough to think what is going on.

The day I realised we tried verbal encouragement, tapping leg and luring. That didn't work. Then I played with marking the very first step and that worked well. Then marking the third step etc. That worked well. Maybe that will work and it just wasn't enough time before the trial to change the behavior.

She 'likes' the post as when heeling near the post will veer towards it. Something else to work on.

I am happy that I am know ok enough in the ring to work on things :shrug:

What do you do in training when she does this?
Yep does the same at training. Any time I walk off from a post.

Only just realised she is doing it. :laugh: I've only had 3 training sessions were I've been not freaked out enough to think what is going on.

The day I realised we tried verbal encouragement, tapping leg and luring. That didn't work. Then I played with marking the very first step and that worked well. Then marking the third step etc. That worked well. Maybe that will work and it just wasn't enough time before the trial to change the behavior.

She 'likes' the post as when heeling near the post will veer towards it. Something else to work on.

I am happy that I am know ok enough in the ring to work on things ;)

:rolleyes: JUles - sounds like you are really coming on - that's great. And what you are doing is what I was thinking of as a possible solution - big party - lots of excitement for her making correct choices - even if it is just one step. Probably do that outside the ring - then take it in the ring - not even necessarily doing a whole routine at that stage.

:rolleyes: JUles - sounds like you are really coming on - that's great. And what you are doing is what I was thinking of as a possible solution - big party - lots of excitement for her making correct choices - even if it is just one step. Probably do that outside the ring - then take it in the ring - not even necessarily doing a whole routine at that stage.

She only does it in the ring and only from the start pole :laugh: Actually not sure if the ring being up makes a difference. Can test that on Wednesday. Actually I have start poles here! Will see what she is like at home too.