Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Ptolomy I am curious why you and bedazzledx2 both opted for metal for the UDX seekback. I read the discussion on Ozobedience and see a number of people using metal and was wondering why metal was selected. I think I would be inclined to select wood if I got that far as to me it seems no different an extension to the find a stick in the long grass game I have been playing since Kenz was little. Is there any logic behind using metal rather than something like wood or is it more just personal preference.

Edited by ness

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ValleyCBR what have you done to teach the right finish (assuming you mean the round the back one). Have you tried teaching him to circle around a cone. Kenz is mad for circling objects and once the dog is enthusiastic at runinng around something I found it easy to substitute it for me rather than an object. If you lure them around the cone inititally you can get a nice tight circle.

Yep I use metal for the seekback and we were doing it great( Gabby was) but she has decided to change it instead of going and checking it out like we normally do and finding the correct one we fly around and find the first when we get to. arghhh. Have done the wood and leather with Xena and metal and went back to wood both Inka and Gabby love metal. Inka is not the brightest border collie around believe it or not

Nope never used food bowels at all. Have tried putting food on the gloves and Inka use to go to the glove and didnt eat the food. Have tried it with the articles same thing like I said not the brightest dog around Once there we are fine but to get it there is the fun part

Gabby I am going to try and putting the food on my article or tying down the decoy so she just cant go picking it up and has to sniff the articles. Just another glitch in the training department :hug:

Ptolomy I am curious why you and bedazzledx2 both opted for metal for the UDX seekback. I read the discussion on Ozobedience and see a number of people using metal and was wondering why metal was selected. I think I would be inclined to select wood if I got that far as to me it seems no different an extension to the find a stick in the long grass game I have been playing since Kenz was little. Is there any logic behind using metal rather than something like wood or is it more just personal preference.

We both use a leather for UD seekback and we wanted to stay clear of using the same article. To us metal really does indicate scent discrimination and this is how we wanted to train the exercise.

I used wood for Lara and although it began OK after a couple of trials she started bringing back the decoy and to her it was a case of going out and bringing back the first thing she found.

ValleyCBR what have you done to teach the right finish (assuming you mean the round the back one). Have you tried teaching him to circle around a cone. Kenz is mad for circling objects and once the dog is enthusiastic at runinng around something I found it easy to substitute it for me rather than an object. If you lure them around the cone inititally you can get a nice tight circle.

Yeah the behind one. I have been doing the two treats lure method so sending him around a cone seems like a cool idea! He would love the game of it :hug:

Little Miss Emily accompanied us to agility training last night. She was very excited to meet everyone (think baby puppy 'leaking' :laugh: ) and did not appear at all phased by the barking, activity, chatter and laughter. She happily lay quietly in her crate when I was training Zig and was really focussed when I had her out. We have been doing some shaping with regards to lying quietly on her mat so she kept offering drop all the time :(

Once we had packed up the equipment and other dogs were tied up I had someone do a restrained recall with her - anyone remember that first time you let pup off lead in a giant space with lots of distractions? My heart was in my mouth a bit but she absolutely rocketed over to me :( She is going to be damn fast!!!!! Then I let both her and Zig off for a run together. He sprinted off to do his usual 'thing' but I was able to call her back to me with no problem - we did at least 10 repetitions of recall, treat, play, release. I know she'll probably "break" when she hits adolescence but it's a really nice start :( Both dogs have been relatively quiet this morning after all that!

ETA: It's a far cry from UDX training :(

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Once we had packed up the equipment and other dogs were tied up I had someone do a restrained recall with her - anyone remember that first time you let pup off lead in a giant space with lots of distractions? My heart was in my mouth a bit but she absolutely rocketed over to me :( She is going to be damn fast!!!!!

That is something I never did with Ruby as a puppy. I wasn't aware of the value in restrained recalls so never sought out anybody to help me with it :laugh: I'm utilising my car for this now :eek: I leave Ruby in the back unrestrained, tell her to wait, walk a fair distance away, release her and run! She comes tearing out after me :( This is only working cos she knows how to wait in the back... Millie on the other hand doesn't understand that concept :(

Emily sounds wonderful, TSD!! :(

Edited by RubyStar

I think it's a case of learning more with each pup. You try not to make the same mistakes but you're bound to make new ones :( Geez, I'm feeling the pressure with this one - just so much potential. I'm thinking of finding someone for one on one obedience....have a great resource in Lablover for retrieving and the local club has heaps of agility gurus.

I think it's a case of learning more with each pup. You try not to make the same mistakes but you're bound to make new ones :( Geez, I'm feeling the pressure with this one - just so much potential. I'm thinking of finding someone for one on one obedience....have a great resource in Lablover for retrieving and the local club has heaps of agility gurus.

Lots of obedience gurus too :(

Lots of obedience gurus too :(

Oh yes, absolutely! But I mean that I want to get some one on one lessons outside club like I have already done with agility. I learn much more efficiently that way. Would love some suggestions :(

I think it's a case of learning more with each pup. You try not to make the same mistakes but you're bound to make new ones :wave: Geez, I'm feeling the pressure with this one - just so much potential. I'm thinking of finding someone for one on one obedience....have a great resource in Lablover for retrieving and the local club has heaps of agility gurus.

Lots of obedience gurus too :D

Oh yes, absolutely! But I mean that I want to get some one on one lessons outside club like I have already done with agility. I learn much more efficiently that way. Would love some suggestions ;)

Leopuppy! :eek:

Sooo... it's been a while since I was here, and on the weekend I discovered what happens when I don't train for 2 weeks and then turn up at a trial! I MAKE MISTAKES but my dog actually nails everything!!! :wave: I stupidly gave her a really dodgy finish command after the seekback which looked suspiciously like a distance control drop signal and well she did the drop! We then discovered ants nests while doing scent discrim which resulted in some lost points for not sitting after a finish... but she actually did it all for the first time in like 4/5 trials! We ran out of points for even a quallie in the end (169) mostly cos of the 10 points I lost us for that blasted finish/drop signal!

Note to self - if I decide not to train my dog I should ensure that I do train myself! :eek:

Oh dear Seita. My plan of action the week leading up to my first trial has been to pretty much not train. I figure that way I can't break anything or go mental......

A question - if for what ever reason you decided to not compete would you still train to roughly the same level??? The same dedication, time etc

Oh dear Seita. My plan of action the week leading up to my first trial has been to pretty much not train. I figure that way I can't break anything or go mental......

A question - if for what ever reason you decided to not compete would you still train to roughly the same level??? The same dedication, time etc

I normally don't train for a day or two before a trial but I've been soo busy these last few weeks that I just didn't get a chance to do much with Ella.

As for your question... nope, I would probably do very little training aside from basic reminding the dogs of the rules of the house etc and maybe some tricks. There's no way I would train this regularly and to this sort of level if I wasn't doing it for competition.

Maybe not quite as full on, but I train as if I am trialling and keep working through the exercises up to open level with some at the moment. I do it in the hope that I will trial again one day and also because I enjoy it, it's my time out. I do get slack normally over winter though.

Maybe not quite as full on, but I train as if I am trialling and keep working through the exercises up to open level with some at the moment. I do it in the hope that I will trial again one day and also because I enjoy it, it's my time out. I do get slack normally over winter though.

Funny, it's summer that I usually get slack with :D