Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess because my dog isn't a natural retriever, and it took me so long to teach a retrieve, I'm just wondering if there is still a benefit for me to do that instead of the other exercises. There are already so many retrieval based exercises in UD...

Then again, she doesn't bark so that's a bit difficult too, and she is food obsessed... hrmm. More options please? :laugh:

I've started teaching Annie the speak on command exercise as she'll bark when someone knocks at the door. All I have to do is knock on something and she goes off. Was VERY easy to fade the knock, but now she's barking a lot more :sigh:

Might have to look at retrieve, however the food refusal skill could be handy as she like to beg for food from other tables when I go to my local cafe ( and the waiters save her bacon and sausages)

However I do need those Open passes first… at least you're nearly there wuffles.

UDX = need your head read!! :p laugh.gif

rofl1.gifrofl1.gif - never a truer word spoken

As result of UDX I will be dropping the word Clever from the Occasionally Clever ones name and from now on he will be referred to only as Occasionally rofl1.gif

Strauss Mouse got his novice title yesterday - so started his DOR and change of position training tonight. 5 minutes later and we both had a migraine and decided to call it quits. Lucky for him he is pretty!

As result of UDX I will be dropping the word Clever from the Occasionally Clever ones name and from now on he will be referred to only as Occasionally rofl1.gif

Strauss Mouse got his novice title yesterday - so started his DOR and change of position training tonight. 5 minutes later and we both had a migraine and decided to call it quits. Lucky for him he is pretty!

:rofl: That's what I say about Ruby because that girl couldn't get any blonder if she tried laugh.gif

After watching UDX yesterday, I have definitely decided UDX isn't for me, well, more so isn't for Ruby. She doesn't need that confusion and confidence knock! Might save UDX for a future dog when I am more experienced and the dog isn't lacking in confidence!

lol I was a bit of a slow learner but taught 3 dogs to speak on command but could never do the speak on command with the stand. The feet always moved. Now the 3 that I have taught to speak are the ones that dont shut up at all. The next 2 dogs haven't taught them and they are quiet. Had taught my kelpie the gloves and she was doing them perfectly for 4 years and than decided that she couldnt do it even though she would be in front of the glove and than goes off to get another one :rofl: So food refusal it is and I have piggys we have the occasional slip up like the black and gold fritz or we had cooked schnitzel and cheese and Gabby decided to eat a bikky :o. Gabby has been taught the gloves but I was just never game to do it in the trials was thinking about doing it and did a mock trial and she went straight to the glove picked it up and than spat it out to look for her leather :o Have to say I will still teach my new dogs both food and gloves

:rofl: That's what I say about Ruby because that girl couldn't get any blonder if she tried laugh.gif

After watching UDX yesterday, I have definitely decided UDX isn't for me, well, more so isn't for Ruby. She doesn't need that confusion and confidence knock! Might save UDX for a future dog when I am more experienced and the dog isn't lacking in confidence!

Awww RS what's wrong with UDX it's just so much fun and you do get lovely grey hair out of it :rofl:

I chickened out of teaching food or speak with my first BC Sam - went for the DR as not only the easy option, but also a fun finish - he wasn't really a natural retriever - but he did love the DR - not always accurate, but that was usually my fault - but always enthusiastic. I admire people who can teach speak and food - but having seen quite a numbr of really good dogs fail on one of the foods (happened to someone last weekend - dog is usually bomb-proof on that exercise) - it wouldn't be my choice.

It always interests me that there's the discrepancy between the DR - one shot - only one chance to muff it :rofl: - and food or speak - have to get something right 3 times - each slightly different exercise.

:rofl: at your boys Ptolomy - poor Strauss with a migraine :laugh: - and Mr Occasionally - well - I guess that leaves room for Occasionally Brilliant :D .

Here is the Flyer for Westernport Dog Obedience Club trial for those in Victoria :)

Entries close Friday August 17, 2012

WESTERNPORT OBEDIENCE DOG CLUB INC

OPEN OBEDIENCE TRIAL

KCC Park, 655 Westernport Hwy, Skye

SATURDAY 25 AUGUST, 2012

Entries to the Trial Secretary, Ms Sharon Campbell. PO Box 499, Pakenham 3810

PH 59 412 472 (no calls after 10pm).

Email: [email protected] Cheques payable to Westernport Obedience Dog Club Inc.

** No late entries accepted *

Judges

CCD Mr David Hutson

Novice Ms Lorna Piper

Open Mrs Jean Holbrook / Mr Bernie Wilkinson

Utility Mrs Lorraine McKay / Mr Frank Valastro

UDX Mr Eddie Howden

VCA Rep Mrs Gwenda Carr

THE Committee Reserves the right to Substitute Judges if entry is Excessive

Conditions of Entry: Separate form for each class. HAS in mm, including all titles.

Include SAE with entries if receipt is required.

Entry Fee: $12.00 ( includes catalogue )

Check in time: 10.15 - 10.45am & vetting

Judging Time: 11.00am

Catering: Available

Awards: *Sash & Prize for Class winners.

Ribbons for second and third placings

Title Sashes & Qualifying ribbons.

* Highest scoring exhibit in trial - Sash ( CCD class not eligible ).

*Highest scoring Westernport Club Member - Sash

Proudly Sponsored by Canidae

Any Additional Sponsors will be Detailed in the Catalogue

Edited by murve

Here is the Flyer for Westernport Dog Obedience Club trial for those in Victoria :)

Entries close Friday August 17, 2012

WESTERNPORT OBEDIENCE DOG CLUB INC

OPEN OBEDIENCE TRIAL

KCC Park, 655 Westernport Hwy, Skye

SATURDAY 25 AUGUST, 2012

Entries to the Trial Secretary, Ms Sharon Campbell. PO Box 499, Pakenham 3810

PH 59 412 472 (no calls after 10pm).

Email: [email protected] Cheques payable to Westernport Obedience Dog Club Inc.

** No late entries accepted *

Judges

CCD Mr David Hutson

Novice Ms Lorna Piper

Open Mrs Jean Holbrook / Mr Bernie Wilkinson

Utility Mrs Lorraine McKay / Mr Frank Valastro

UDX Mr Eddie Howden

VCA Rep Mrs Gwenda Carr

THE Committee Reserves the right to Substitute Judges if entry is Excessive

Conditions of Entry: Separate form for each class. HAS in mm, including all titles.

Include SAE with entries if receipt is required.

Entry Fee: $12.00 ( includes catalogue )

Check in time: 10.15 - 10.45am & vetting

Judging Time: 11.00am

Catering: Available

Awards: *Sash & Prize for Class winners.

Ribbons for second and third placings

Title Sashes & Qualifying ribbons.

* Highest scoring exhibit in trial - Sash ( CCD class not eligible ).

*Highest scoring Westernport Club Member - Sash

Proudly Sponsored by Canidae

Any Additional Sponsors will be Detailed in the Catalogue

mmm wonder if Waldo will be ready for CCD. (IF HE LIVES THAT LONG)-he has found a loose thread in the middle of the hall carpet and unravelled a section 45cm x 5cm. Wonder what exercise he was training for?

ETA Man I must be tired-so many typos

Edited by Sue & Waldo

Elsie heelwork

Quick video of us playing around in the kitchen, she seems to be trying to go behind me a bit now since we got left turns sort of figured out, we have not really been training for a week as she's been spayed, and since coming back she has been forging... our first little trial is next weekend! So freaking nervous! But at least Elsie enjoys it LOL. Any thoughts? Ideas to stop forging? Been rewarding for correct position and releasing to a reward plate behind sometimes. This is my first obedience dog so I am so scared of ruining her!! I've already made some mistakes, but we're having fun learning!

I have a forger too. I actually find that she forges a lot in training but not in trials (due to lower enthusiasm, yes I am trying to work on this). I have changed my signal slightly (hand still on hip but further back) and reward from further back as well. I don't let her constantly forge... in training she gets one reminder of where she's meant to be and if she continues with the forging she gets an NRM and we start over. I know that the forging is related to enthusiasm and my dog is very sensitive, so I am less harsh than others may be :)

Good luck for your first trial! Have fun!