Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Yes mason is the poor guinea pig. He drops straighf if he is next to me but not if im in front of him. Gibbs has great potential in obedience he taught himself to heel and at 7,5 months heels 90x better than mason. Very disappointed that even if i get him thru CCD and novice he will never be able to do open due to the jumps :( oh well maybe i will get a 3rd dog to carry on competing with :)

Why won't he be able to do jumps?

I know he has ED, but I thought in obedience there was only 1-2 jumps.

I wouldn't recommend Gibbs do agility but he should be able to handle a 1-2 jumps occaisonally. Especially if he is handling heeling, which in competition form is pretty high impact.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes mason is the poor guinea pig. He drops straighf if he is next to me but not if im in front of him. Gibbs has great potential in obedience he taught himself to heel and at 7,5 months heels 90x better than mason. Very disappointed that even if i get him thru CCD and novice he will never be able to do open due to the jumps :( oh well maybe i will get a 3rd dog to carry on competing with :)

I wouldn't recommend Gibbs do agility but he should be able to handle a 1-2 jumps occaisonally. Especially if he is handling heeling, which in competition form is pretty high impact.

Hmm we will see how he goes but I don't know if I want to risk him jumping he is a very solid dog. I don't think heeling is high impact though because it's just a trot really with weight on one front and ine back leg but I'm not all that clued up, jumping is full impact on both front legs and his other elbow at this stage may be affected too will know more after X-rays next week. The other dog I know with ED who had surgery 18 months ago has been cleared to do all obedience work by the same surgeon we are using.

Hmm we will see how he goes but I don't know if I want to risk him jumping he is a very solid dog. I don't think heeling is high impact though because it's just a trot really with weight on one front and ine back leg but I'm not all that clued up, jumping is full impact on both front legs and his other elbow at this stage may be affected too will know more after X-rays next week. The other dog I know with ED who had surgery 18 months ago has been cleared to do all obedience work by the same surgeon we are using.

I know of a Lab who has had ED surgery and has done Retrieving trialing with quite a bit of success

I know of a Lab who has had ED surgery and has done Retrieving trialing with quite a bit of success

Yeah i may enter him in RATs if he Shows potential as thsts on an oval but the surgeons are not happy about th running where the ground is uneven and there could be a hole. Will see how he is after but im happy for him to just be a pet rather than risk injury

For anybody who needs Scent Discrimination Articles I have put a price list in the Market place forum :) with full details & contact info

Great will check it out

I wonder if it would be toooo ambitious to get a set (about to enter CCD) LOL

For anybody who needs Scent Discrimination Articles I have put a price list in the Market place forum :) with full details & contact info

Great will check it out

Never too early i taught my pup from a fee weeks old to do scent with some other stuff not articles but teaches the same thing.

Good luck with CCD it was the class my Mason did the best in

Great will check it out

I don't plan to compete in UD with my current dog but I train scent work for fun anyway, it's fun and something different for the dog and helps your skills as a trainer :)

Edited by huski

Have just taught Elsie the left pivot turn for obedience, woohoo! She is my first competition dog, having so much fun learning with her! First we did lots of rear end awareness tricks, then heeling backwards, and now managing to do left pivots! Still a little bit messy, but today is the first time we have done it, I am so excited! :D

Who hooo just a little brag my boy Orlando( whippet ) received 1st in Novice & then was awarded Best in Trial at the Rhodesian Ridgeback Obedience trial at Kcc Park this morning :cheer: :cheer: :happydance2:

A big thank you to the Rhodesian Ridgeback club for holding a RTG Obedience Trial with their Champ show.

It was great to see a Basset hound have a go at CCD, it was fun having a few whippets & a Basset hound gate crashing The Ridgebacks :laugh: :laugh: show

Wow well done, murve! Gotta be happy with that!!! :D

Oh Rubystar not just happy, more like ecstatic, good thing was the girl who owns the Sire to my boy was also there, she was also ecstatic, the ribbons are already up on the wall with the others that we have received :D