Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a white plastic dumbbell. I used to use a wooden dumbbell for my old girl which had the ends painted white, but my dad made it and painted it so I have no idea what he used.

SLLH - good to hear you have been out and about - all the distraction work will pay off in the long run so keep at it :thumbsup: Did you ask the lady to repeat the SFE after your dog moved - or did you call it a day?

Rally Valley looking forward to meeting Zora and seeing you at training again ;)

I use a white plastic dumbbell. I used to use a wooden dumbbell for my old girl which had the ends painted white, but my dad made it and painted it so I have no idea what he used.

SLLH - good to hear you have been out and about - all the distraction work will pay off in the long run so keep at it :thumbsup: Did you ask the lady to repeat the SFE after your dog moved - or did you call it a day?

Rally Valley looking forward to meeting Zora and seeing you at training again ;)

I called it a day as I didnt want to push the 'friendship; lol Id known her for 5 mins lol. Will be getting it solid tomorrow though.

Goodluck on Sat, Nik!! :D

Sounds like you had a good session, SLLH!!

Well, me and Lot have had a break from obedience for a little while, as we were both getting really down about it all (well I was which was reflecting on our training and the way Lot was working!), but I thought i'd do a little this arv, gosh she worked nicely :D I have a little video of it... (excuse me wearing my pjs - and also where Lot steps on them :o:rofl: , I didn't realise until I had uploaded it, and can't be bothered doing it again!!! :rolleyes: :laugh: ).

A BIG thank you to Ptolomy and LP for all your help with my training!! I really appreciate it, and hopefully one day i'll get back in the obedience ring :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17X4XTrsUR8

Just wondering - whenever Lottie retrieves the DB, she also pulls up and sits too far from me - around a sit length away - you see everytime I go to move backwards she'll come in nice and close - and ideas on how to get her to come in close straight up? Go back and only reward when she comes in to the right spot??

LuvLottie - I love the jarmies ;)

I am assuming that you haven't backchained your dumbbell, so started with Lottie sitting close, handing her the db and you taking it and rewarding, then processing to the db on the ground at your feet her picking it up, you taking it and rewarding???

The other thing that needs work is her pick up and to do this .....leave Lottie in a sit take a step away from her and put the db on the ground, take another step and about turn and ask her to fetch. The dog should be able to do a clean pick up from a step with 1 more step to present. You can then increase the distance, between the dog the db and you. This really teaches them to pick the db up cleanly without having to worry about a turn.

LuvLottie - I love the jarmies ;)

I am assuming that you haven't backchained your dumbbell, so started with Lottie sitting close, handing her the db and you taking it and rewarding, then processing to the db on the ground at your feet her picking it up, you taking it and rewarding???

The other thing that needs work is her pick up and to do this .....leave Lottie in a sit take a step away from her and put the db on the ground, take another step and about turn and ask her to fetch. The dog should be able to do a clean pick up from a step with 1 more step to present. You can then increase the distance, between the dog the db and you. This really teaches them to pick the db up cleanly without having to worry about a turn.

:laugh: it was so cold here this arv, after I finished prac I came home, got the fire going and got in my pjs :)

Thanks so much for the tips :D I haven't done the backchaining with her, so will work on that!! Ahhhh - that makes sense about the pick-ups!! They're a bit messy as she is always sooo excited to pick it up!! So that's something we'll work on as well :D

The whole point of me entering was to put a date to something we have been going to do for the last 4 years :laugh:. If I didnt bite the bullet and enter we probably wouldnt ever start trialling!

I am ALOT like this, I need something to work towards otherwise I wouldn't do anything ever!

I've been working on alot of little things for the past few weeks with the intention of entering and have entered another trial this time in Novice as we work so much better off lead and it means I can get rid of the damn lead! :o Will be interesting how we go! :p

Edited by tollersowned

I've just got back into training after having a few weeks off (apart from bits and pieces around the house) Took Annie to the park today for a quick session and it was so lacklustre :( It might have been me though as I'm a little off colour.

Tollersowned, which trial have you entered? Might be at the same one.

Uhh the State trials! :scared:

Jumped in the deep end with that one but it's at KCC Park, and we train there alot......plus I want to watch Top Obedience dog of the year!

Uhh the State trials! :scared:

Jumped in the deep end with that one but it's at KCC Park, and we train there alot......plus I want to watch Top Obedience dog of the year!

Aaarrr we will see you there :D

We are doing both days

Yup I entered both days as well, should be interesting but fun! See you there! :D

We are aiming to get our 2nd pass :D

our training has been set back hoping only a few days :crossfingers: after Orlando coped an injury tonight

Here is Strauss's 3 minute training session inspired by LuvLottie :thumbsup:

Strauss also sits too far away when he brings back the db and lately I have been getting backing up with it, lots of mouthing and spitting it at me. So I did some chair work tonight, then moved to the hallway where he did some pick up work and finally some sends to the mat...... It was tough because the tiles were slippery :D

Edited by Ptolomy

Gotta love Strauss! I can't believe how big he is compared to those early videos... :laugh: Guess they all have to grow up! Nice work from him :)

I am getting him measured on Sunday - I am betting 52cm and he sure has grown.

Still trying to find his "on button". Working Cider then him its like chalk and cheese.