Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Hi Wuffles, our next trial is at Geelong VIC 9th & 10th July , they are having 4 trials over 2 days, we are doing the double on the Sat, was hoping to do Sun as well :( but unable to prior commitments.

Body language is a make or break for all work now I've been woken up to that & paying more attention & it is paying off in training

Hoverdrops :laugh: Orlando can be good at that, I corrected that by telling him boot & place my hand on his back ( not a lot of pressure) till he droped propperly :thumbsup: now if he decides to hoverdrop all I say is Boot, bang straight down he goes :laugh:

Oh Ava will drop on a second command... but I am not allowed to do that as it won't help me in trials ;)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you're on track murve :thumbsup: Just be careful not to create a behavior chain with your second command for the drop. Can be a real bugga to fix later on! Suggest you use one cue word only and only give it once...if he doesn't do it you could give a NRM (non reward marker) oops! is a good one, and break off with neither praise nor admonishment. It's simply information to you dog that he got it wrong this time. Do it again and if he does it right Click/treat (or marker word "Yes" if you don't use a clicker)

If you have to give more than two NRM's in a row then you need to back up and work on getting fluency and understanding. Take the downs out of formal heel work until you get this. Hoverdrops can be a pain :eek:

Hi Wuffles, our next trial is at Geelong VIC 9th & 10th July , they are having 4 trials over 2 days, we are doing the double on the Sat, was hoping to do Sun as well :( but unable to prior commitments.

Body language is a make or break for all work now I've been woken up to that & paying more attention & it is paying off in training

Hoverdrops :laugh: Orlando can be good at that, I corrected that by telling him boot & place my hand on his back ( not a lot of pressure) till he droped propperly :thumbsup: now if he decides to hoverdrop all I say is Boot, bang straight down he goes :laugh:

Sounds like you're on track murve :thumbsup: Just be careful not to create a behavior chain with your second command for the drop. Can be a real bugga to fix later on! Suggest you use one cue word only and only give it once...if he doesn't do it you could give a NRM (non reward marker) oops! is a good one, and break off with neither praise nor admonishment. It's simply information to you dog that he got it wrong this time. Do it again and if he does it right Click/treat (or marker word "Yes" if you don't use a clicker)

If you have to give more than two NRM's in a row then you need to back up and work on getting fluency and understanding. Take the downs out of formal heel work until you get this. Hoverdrops can be a pain :eek:

Hi bedazzledz2 he already knows he gets praises when does good , he just like pushing the boundaries, but thats a Whippet for ya :laugh: hoverdrops are fixed, we use the YES good boy word everytime he does good & the Yes word is emphasized :D

We have had days where he will work perfect & the next day its the attitude Buggar you I'm not going to work :laugh:

thanks anyway for your kind words & support

Oh I dont know if anyone realize JulesP lost Brock early this morning, he was only 5 yrs possible Bait :cry: :cry:

Oh Boy just found out Orlando & I are going to have a Cheer squad at Geelong next Sat, the co-owner of my boy (if she is not showing) her parents, & friends from 2 Re-enactment groups,

We have a large group of friends that live in the area, they have decided to come & watch us :eek: if they are not working, besides having my own small supporters (family :laugh: ) that come along.

We had an amazement today Orlando worked off lead :thumbsup: doing CCD work he stuck by me like glue did every command spot on in heelwork, Recalls spot on, I had my step-grand kids stand in to do figure eights :thumbsup: now we just have to pull it all off at Geelong next week :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: He even amazed my OH

Double header at Caboolture today. Coco's scent work was excellent today it really wasnt broken last weekend, still convinced it was my antibiotics. Oh well live and learn..

lesson one from today - signals is just that signals do NOT say heel as you step off from the start peg. :laugh:

lesson two from today - be more clear in your signals/body language so as not to confuse your dog at the start of CoP.

I'm sure Coco talks about me with the other dogs and how I embarass the hell out of her :rofl:

Double header at Caboolture today. Coco's scent work was excellent today it really wasnt broken last weekend, still convinced it was my antibiotics. Oh well live and learn..

lesson one from today - signals is just that signals do NOT say heel as you step off from the start peg. :laugh:

lesson two from today - be more clear in your signals/body language so as not to confuse your dog at the start of CoP.

I'm sure Coco talks about me with the other dogs and how I embarass the hell out of her :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: Kathq - I think we have all said heel at the start of signals at some point in our trialling careers.

Let me tell you - you wont ever do it again ;)

I believe very shortly the planets will be aligned, the wind will be blowing in the right direction and you and Coco will both be firing on the same day :thumbsup:

It made me smile.......

This morning I decided to do 1 minute training in the driveway with each of the kids, so one by one I called them out the front, they had their turn and then went back inside. As you could image they were all sitting at the kitchen door eagerly hoping that when I opened the door that I would call their name and it would be their turn.

7 of them had had their go leaving just my old girl, who is 14 1/2 years old, has a tumour in her shoulder, is very lame, partly deaf and blind, who I couldn't see in the kitchen, but I decided to call her and if she came, then she could have a go out the front too. Well I called her and around the corner she hobbled, a big smile of her face, no sign of any deafness, she made her way through the kids standing at the door and you would have thought she had won lotto. Now its not easy trying to find things for this dog to do, but we started off with hand touches and boy were they good, sits and stands on a signal - wow, speak on command, a bit quiet but she hadn't forgotton and after all those years - I no longer had the feet movement happening and then we finished with a few more hand touches. It was priceless, her enthusiasm and her enjoyment of those 60 seconds. Bless you Lara

It made me smile.......

This morning I decided to do 1 minute training in the driveway with each of the kids, so one by one I called them out the front, they had their turn and then went back inside. As you could image they were all sitting at the kitchen door eagerly hoping that when I opened the door that I would call their name and it would be their turn.

7 of them had had their go leaving just my old girl, who is 14 1/2 years old, has a tumour in her shoulder, is very lame, partly deaf and blind, who I couldn't see in the kitchen, but I decided to call her and if she came, then she could have a go out the front too. Well I called her and around the corner she hobbled, a big smile of her face, no sign of any deafness, she made her way through the kids standing at the door and you would have thought she had won lotto. Now its not easy trying to find things for this dog to do, but we started off with hand touches and boy were they good, sits and stands on a signal - wow, speak on command, a bit quiet but she hadn't forgotton and after all those years - I no longer had the feet movement happening and then we finished with a few more hand touches. It was priceless, her enthusiasm and her enjoyment of those 60 seconds. Bless you Lara

Nice. My old girl Fern still did the most beautiful focused heeling at 15yo. And loved every second of her short turn.

Hi guys I need some advice. My Sibe Akira is pretty scared of people she doesn't know. She was hit as a puppy and is very nervous now. Today we were told that until she gets over her fear and allows someone to come over for a stand for examination, she can't graduate. How can I train her not to automatically back away when someone comes over?

Awwww bless her ptolomy.

That's horrible WA - Zero still has problems with his STE (mostly because I'm lazy and haven't worked on them with him in FOREVER!!) so I won't gie you advice but i hope she gets better soon.

WA - You will have your work cut out for you but if she was mine and I thought it was worth the effort, I would be very carefully chosing who I asked for help, making sure they could follow instructions. My kids are all food motivated, so I would begin with a sit and I would be standing right in front of the dog with a truck load of food in my hand and I would ask my helper to walk in towards me and then about turn and walk away. How close this helper gets to me would depend on your dog. As the helper was walking in, I would be shovelling food in at a very high ratio, the same when the helper walks away. The handler is paying no attention to the dog is looking purely at me. From here I would be gradually slowing down the food input to the dog and gradually having the helper get closer to me until they could stand next to me without the dog backing away.

From here I would repeat the process but with a new helper.

I would then go back to the original helper and see if they could walk up and stand next to me without the dog reacting.

Can your dog do this so far?

She's very food motivated so hopefully this should work. She has no issues at all when she's off lead and will go over to people to beg pats and cuddles. It's just on lead where we have the problem and she shies away. Today we tried to get her to sit and praise her as she took food off the trainer, and I had to put my foot behind her to keep her from moving back. Later on I was click and treating as the trainer walked near when she was in a stand, but I was staying at her side rather than in front. I will give that a try - might see if I can borrow one of our neighbours to help out. :)

WA using this method - I have taught my kids to bore holes into me and to completely ignore the person walking in, in anticipation of getting a treat. You need to build a foundation which is why we start with a sit in front - so if things go pearshaped it is not associated with the SFE

I too did a double trial at Caboolture yesterday and learnt that I need to fix my finishes big time! They cost us an OC leg yesterday! We finished the first trial with 181 points and aside from the points lost in signals all other points were on crooked finishes, I don't know what got into Ella yesterday, they were worse than normal! LOL And in the 2nd trial we had a substantial for one jump a few points off for signals and some trouble with our articles so came out of the ring on a pass but not a very good one but then the little witch decided that down stays are optional and blew it anyway!

I clearly need to fix my down stays when there are other dogs running around doing "exciting" things! We've never had trouble with this before UD and it's only now after a year of trialling in UD that she's gone and got herself all obsessed with things like other dogs doing retrieves and the sound of articles! :laugh: Guess what we'll be working on big time for the next few weeks till our next trial!

Agree with Ptolomy. Remember make haste slowly! Bad practice is much worse than no practice so for now I wouldn't ask anyone to do more than a limited approach with high rewards from you.

She's very food motivated so hopefully this should work. She has no issues at all when she's off lead and will go over to people to beg pats and cuddles. It's just on lead where we have the problem and she shies away. Today we tried to get her to sit and praise her as she took food off the trainer, and I had to put my foot behind her to keep her from moving back. Later on I was click and treating as the trainer walked near when she was in a stand, but I was staying at her side rather than in front. I will give that a try - might see if I can borrow one of our neighbours to help out. :)