Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get nervous about just about everything laugh.gif

Got the Obedience Challenge this Monday, followed by another trial on the same day. So that is 2 trials for Ruby (Novice and Open), and 3 trials for Millie (CCD, Novice and Open) in one day. Poor Millie!! laugh.gif

Orlando in a sit stay, now this what I call being bomb-barred by 3 Pappy pups :laugh: he did very well & stayed till he got the release word sorry puppies a bit blurred I used my iphone :) & they were moving pretty quick

th_Picture052-2.jpg

Edited by murve

Ring nerves are my biggest enemy!

All of my guys have been trained up to a high trialling level (in agility moreso) but you reckon I could actually enter and trial and pull off half the stuff I know we can do? I've tried! Nova takes off on me and pees as a stress reliver, Darcy shuts down and will walk an agility course and well haven't tried yet with Jovi!

I still even get nervous going into the show ring and that's about the least stressful thing as you can get especially as we are usually the only ones in the breed there!

Outside of the rings I am actually pretty relaxed and can do speeches etc no problems, put me in a ring and I fall to pieces :mad

Doesn't help I have dogs that are really sensitive to my moods :(

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.......I've tried rescue rememedy (nearly took the whole bottle), chewing gum as that is apparantly meant to mask the fear stench :laugh: and I really am not much of a drinker!

Pretend to be someone else in the ring.

I even get nervous going into the practice ring at club and would go totally blank. One Sunday I had been on here before club and had watched one of Rubystar's videos. I had liked her handling. As I stood at the post shaking I thought about the video and off I went and was fine! After that I just thought Rubystar and would settle down.

Unfortunately I get super nervous from the moment I enter the trial and lost about 4 kgs leading up to the last trial I entered. I am currently contemplating whether it is all worth it.

I love training to trial standard but not the competing. Brock and Poppy could both easily do Novice agility too. I had the same problem with horse stuff too. But I could also get up and give a speech in front of hundreds of people.

Orlando in a sit stay, now this what I call being bomb-barred by 3 Pappy pups :laugh: he did very well & stayed till he got the release word sorry puppies a bit blurred I used my iphone :) & they were moving pretty quick

th_Picture052-2.jpg

Well done! :thumbsup: What a test!!

th_Picture052-2.jpg

Well done! :thumbsup: What a test!!

Thank you Sue & Cindy I feel more confident now knowing Orlando wont break his Stays now for CCD trials :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

he has been getting major treats & Praises when we have been successful, & I have been doing like 1min, 3min, 2mim times :D :D

But I could also get up and give a speech in front of hundreds of people.

I find that very interesting. I get nervous going into the ring, but nothing like it sounds you do. But talking in front of hundreds of people, kill me now! I hate even speaking in front of half a dozen people. That is what terrifies me most, public speaking!

Pretend to be someone else in the ring.

I even get nervous going into the practice ring at club and would go totally blank. One Sunday I had been on here before club and had watched one of Rubystar's videos. I had liked her handling. As I stood at the post shaking I thought about the video and off I went and was fine! After that I just thought Rubystar and would settle down.

Unfortunately I get super nervous from the moment I enter the trial and lost about 4 kgs leading up to the last trial I entered. I am currently contemplating whether it is all worth it.

I love training to trial standard but not the competing. Brock and Poppy could both easily do Novice agility too. I had the same problem with horse stuff too. But I could also get up and give a speech in front of hundreds of people.

Sounds like me before a trial! Might try that, pretend to be someone else! Can't hurt to give anything a go as I really want to be able to be calm and have fun!

Have you tried mentally preparing - seeing your dog heeling well and not running off. Doing a SFE and not moving and the recall - coming when called with a lovely present.

I guess I find it hard to offer suggestions with running off as none of my kids would ever do it - to them I am the one who rewards and to them food is the greatest reward.

Wish you were here so we could help you out......

Actually giving you an experienced dog is sometimes the way to help with the nerves, knowing that when you give a signal and the dog will actually do it really helps. Having a dog heelng with confidence really helps.

Hmm maybe I could start a business here called rent a dog :rofl: :rofl:

Yep! Brookie started squeaking in excitement particularly as he was going round to heel in the finish. I was at a loss as to how to get him to understand it was the vocalizing I didn't want...he started to get worried about the finish if I gave him a NRM. I took it out of the training environment and found a behaviour that I didn't care about that elicited the vocalizing. For him it was terribly exciting to heel backwards! The moment he started the squeaking I gave him a NRM and put him in the car...I didn't scold him at all...just the NRM and potential for him to earn a reward was lost. It didn't take long for him to catch on and I haven't had any problems since.

Have any of you experienced issues with dogs being "vocal" while training and what have you done if anything to overcome this.

Hmm I seem to have created a bad habit x 2. Ness does it over articles when we train and it can happen at the start peg as well but she doesn't do it over anything else unfortunately. Training this past week when I haven't trained her in a few weeks was really bad.

Kenz has also started doing it when I run training sessions at home. Every time I am asking her to line up at heel she starts squealing. I am hoping it dies down when she is allowed to do more but don't really want to go reinforcing it in the meantime so its a little tough. Kenz has always barked a little during trick training - running around objects, jumping over things etc but this is different this is screaming and its never been an issue during heeling before.

Thanks for the thoughts though bedazzledx2.

Actually giving you an experienced dog is sometimes the way to help with the nerves, knowing that when you give a signal and the dog will actually do it really helps. Having a dog heelng with confidence really helps.

Can I be the first in line to rent one of your dogs please? laugh.gif

Bags I Scoota or Soggy Ptolomy :thumbsup: - love working the red kids. Although I enjoyed working Brookie and Lara as well.

Maybe I could just loan mine to Ptolomy and she can train them for me and return them trained :rofl:.

Have you tried mentally preparing - seeing your dog heeling well and not running off. Doing a SFE and not moving and the recall - coming when called with a lovely present.

I guess I find it hard to offer suggestions with running off as none of my kids would ever do it - to them I am the one who rewards and to them food is the greatest reward.

Wish you were here so we could help you out......

Thanks, Good idea, I just have to bite the bullet and enter a few trials and hopefully once I see she does well (which I know she will try hard to do) I can work on myself :o

Running off isn't an issue with the 2 who I want to trial but I think when Nova did it in my first ever trials it stuck in my mind and no matter how many times I tell myself Darcy and Jovi would never go anywhere (and Darcy didn't in his trial) I just seem to subconsciously think they will......it's really annoying! :laugh:

Wish I had actually managed to enter a few trials while I was over there so you could have fixed me! :laugh:

I will go second in line for Cider! She looks like Jovi enough that no one would know the difference :o

Can I be the first in line to rent one of your dogs please? laugh.gif

No pick me, pick me :D I'm soooo close to giving up on training and trialing all together :( :( , a nice round would go along way with my confidence!!

Just like me Jules - I taught public speaking and debating for years as well as doing a LOT of it myself, as well as a lot of theater which I love. Nothing makes me nervous like trialling though :mad I think the main problem with trialling is that it's not just me my nerves affect, it's my dog as well.

Edited by huski