Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

It also means i can mark selectively- ie, i release from every exercise but the dog only gets the marker word for the good efforts. If your marker is what ends the exercise (with the dual meaning of 'a reward is coming') how do you end the exercise if the dog has done an average job? (that is a genuine questions, i'm not being critical) :rofl:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tis okay :rofl:

I use a 'go on" word such as "good" if they are getting it but I want what they are doing for longer and the click is the end of the exercise.

So I guess for me I do have a marker as such that doesn't get a treat, but the click(or the word Yes) always gets the treat and ends the exercise. I build up the duration between command and C/T if doigng stays for example, but they click still ends the exercise.

I asked if you want him to not move on the marker word, which is what you are doing, or if you waited until he could sit for longer before using the marker word which would then end the exercise. - I think I make sense now, I have confused myself!

Poo. Bugger. Grrrr. ;)

Does anyone think it would be rude if I didn't turn up to the reception of a wedding I'm attending that day because there is an obedience trial on that night? :rofl::o

It's the last night time obedience trial until the end of the year and I'm going to have to miss it!! :D There doesn't seem to be many/enough night time trials and I missed some already so I'm bummed! I will have only officially entered 2 night time obedience trials this "season" plus 1 NFC trial before having to go back to day time ones, that's pitiful :( I loathe day time trials. :mad:)

Nope, just tell the people u can only attend the ceremony.

ETA if it was close friends I would skip the trial and attend but if it was not such close friends then I would do the trial. Also have you RSVP-ed yet and now need to change your RSVP? If you have not RSVP-ed yet then that would be ok, however if you have it may seem a bit rude to now change it.

:rofl: No I'll be going. As much as I love trialling and am dog obsessed, I do recognise when a certain behaviour would be classed as extreme (ie. skipping a wedding reception to go to a trial :)) Just highly bummed is all!!! Love night time trials :(

I missed my cousin's wedding many years ago because I was entered in an obedience trial & chose to go to the trial rather than the wedding :D :D :o:rofl: .

Edited to clarify - I told them I wasn't coming from the start, I didn't RSVP that I could attend & then not turn up or anything. But I was in the bad books with my mum for a long time for chosing a trial over my cousin's wedding :) .

Edited by MrsD

Rubystar I am going to give you my opinion anyway.......

I think you should do the trial because more than likely she will have another wedding at some point in the future which would may be able to attend :rofl::rofl::rofl:

and tonight.....

for the first time ever my little man Strauss was a star. Thanks Caffy for taking him and letting me see what he was capable of. Stunning is the best way to describe it :)

It also means i can mark selectively- ie, i release from every exercise but the dog only gets the marker word for the good efforts. If your marker is what ends the exercise (with the dual meaning of 'a reward is coming') how do you end the exercise if the dog has done an average job? (that is a genuine questions, i'm not being critical) :D

A C/T doesn't necessarily mean end of exercise, though, a release word means end of exercise. If the dog does a lousy or average job where you don't want to reward, release and try again.

I think you should do the trial because more than likely she will have another wedding at some point in the future which would may be able to attend :rofl::):)

and tonight.....

for the first time ever my little man Strauss was a star. Thanks Caffy for taking him and letting me see what he was capable of. Stunning is the best way to describe it :(

:D at the wedding statement :rofl:

And whaddya mean first time ever Strauss was a star? I've seen him work his little socks off many times! He worked beautifully tonight I must agree :rofl:

Yep- i am wanting him not to move on the marker word- makes sense now! :crossfingers:

Ososwift- how do you end the exercise if the dog has done an average job that you don't want to click/ treat for?

rubystar- thats what i do with the release, but wanting to know how those who do use the click to end the exercise would do it : )

Edited by Cosmolo

I use a release word too. With my class I usually teach the release in the second week so the pups have a week with just being treated for the sit & drop. If you treat after the release it seems to be that you are rewarding the release. So it is Sit, Yes (treat), free. After the free they might get a game, treat or pat.

I think you should do the trial because more than likely she will have another wedding at some point in the future which would may be able to attend :crossfingers::crossfingers::thumbsup:

and tonight.....

for the first time ever my little man Strauss was a star. Thanks Caffy for taking him and letting me see what he was capable of. Stunning is the best way to describe it :thumbsup:

Lol Ptlolomy I had a good chuckle at this, its all too true though!!! Whenever I fight with my husband I remind him that when we get divorced Mason is coming with me!!!! :thumbsup: then OH acts all sorry and stops being a pain as he loves Mason too much to ever think about him leaving :thumbsup:

I feed breakfast as normal, but don't feed dinner until we get home from a trial. If it's a day trial, I don't feed breakfast and feed when I get home. I also don't do any training with them on the day of a trial, and very rarely do any training the day before a trial. I'll do a few reminder things like SFE's and a small bit of heelwork for attention when at the trial before we go in, but that's it. I think I need to remind Millie about what a DOR is before we go in next :crossfingers:

My dog doesn't have breakfast so nothing during the day and very much a quiet, rest day. If it's a day trial, rest day is the day before and he has a lighter dinner than usual (he usually has 4-5 cups dry food for dinner or a couple of chicken frames so I just give him half his dry food ration). I make sure he has lots of exercise in the weeks leading up to the trial . He trials best when he is jumping out of his skin with energy - last night at agility training was a prime example :crossfingers:

I feed breakfast as normal, but don't feed dinner until we get home from a trial. If it's a day trial, I don't feed breakfast and feed when I get home. I also don't do any training with them on the day of a trial, and very rarely do any training the day before a trial. I'll do a few reminder things like SFE's and a small bit of heelwork for attention when at the trial before we go in, but that's it. I think I need to remind Millie about what a DOR is before we go in next :crossfingers:

Yeah I think i will give breakfast and his dinner can be his jackpot tomorrow and next friday :crossfingers: I wont get to work him the day before the trial anyways as I am working from early to quite late and I wont have the energy!!

MY kids get breakfast and a very small dinner on the day of a trial. They get fed dinner at 4pm and if they miss out it gets very ugly :crossfingers:

No training is done on the day of a trial and usually none the day before either. This works for us, but everybody is different.

The other thing I don't do is bath the dogs prior to a trial.

MY kids get breakfast and a very small dinner on the day of a trial. They get fed dinner at 4pm and if they miss out it gets very ugly :crossfingers:

No training is done on the day of a trial and usually none the day before either. This works for us, but everybody is different.

The other thing I don't do is bath the dogs prior to a trial.

No bathing???