Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I always do the pivot left about turn. I used to do the round the back one but I much prefer the pivot one since I trained it.

It was easier to train then I thought - I started by training the 'elephant trick' where you get the dog to stand with its front paws on a phone book or similar and use its back legs to walk around it. There are heaps of good videos on youtube that demonstrate how to do it, TerraNik has some good ones too.

Sorry, I'm not up on the terminology ;) I just do a 'normal' turn like on the phone book. The elephant trick is my girl's favourite game ever. It's the one where you switch the lead around your back that confuses me :hug:

Edited by wuffles

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always do the pivot left about turn. I used to do the round the back one but I much prefer the pivot one since I trained it.

It was easier to train then I thought - I started by training the 'elephant trick' where you get the dog to stand with its front paws on a phone book or similar and use its back legs to walk around it. There are heaps of good videos on youtube that demonstrate how to do it, TerraNik has some good ones too.

Sorry, I'm not up on the terminology :rofl: I just do a 'normal' turn like on the phone book. The elephant trick is my girl's favourite game ever. It's the one where you switch the lead around your back that confuses me :rofl:

Ah gotcha now!

I used to do that around the back turn but I would never train it or use it again now. I like that my dog stays with me and if you train it well, IMO it looks better than the around the back turn too.

Here is the end result (almost) of us shaping a bark with Gilbert. To start with, we had a bit of trouble because he scared himself when he barked, it was like he didn't expect it! Much better now.

I love the play bow rev up befor he barks :rofl:

Not sure I would be game enough to shape one of my kids to bark :rofl:

Very cute Cosmolo!

Well I almost didn't go to training tonight. I was exhausted when I got home from work so sat on the lounge for a bit, which turned into a nanna nap. That ended up sucking every ounce of energy out of me and I would have been better off not napping!

Anyway I dragged my sorry butt out to training and glad I did. Managed to train a bit of agility, obedience and retrieving with both girls, it's great fun switching between the three on the one night :rofl: :rofl: Then they can't get bored of me drilling the same things in one session.

Awwwww I wish I had a Gilbert!!!

I wouldn't be game to shape mine to bark, especially Kyzer because once I've clicked something he is bound to offer it in a shaping session, I'd never get him to shut up!

Its a work in progress........

*** This is not part of an evil plan in preparation to send her interstate on a one way ticket *****

Here's some more...we are playing around with walking on the feet.

Good on you Ptolomy for rising to the challenge :laugh:

Aww Jenna! :laugh: She is so cute :) The first time she came out I was sort of expecting it to be like one of those tiny clown cars... like Cider would follow her out then Strauss ect. :D

Now what a great idea for a new trick Ptolomy :( ;)

You might need a biger suitcase though ;)

Hey - what's this doing on page 2???? :rofl:

Gotta have a little brag - my lil big man has a DB retrieve :crossfingers: If I don't break it. And a baby seekback. Although I need a better seekback article. The bit of hose I used to use with Sam gets too slaggy and slips out of Rory's mouth (and my hands) - he did go back and get it when he realised he'd dropped it though :rofl: .

Any suggestions for where to get a nice seekback article?

Hey - what's this doing on page 2???? :rofl:

Gotta have a little brag - my lil big man has a DB retrieve :crossfingers: If I don't break it. And a baby seekback. Although I need a better seekback article. The bit of hose I used to use with Sam gets too slaggy and slips out of Rory's mouth (and my hands) - he did go back and get it when he realised he'd dropped it though :rofl: .

Any suggestions for where to get a nice seekback article?

If you like the layered leather type I got mine from here www.obedienceproducts.com From memory about $12.00 plus postage which was around $7.50. Came nice and quick as well. Have used it lots in the last 12 months with no problems.

A lady here in Perth makes the rolled leather ones. I currently use one that i got from Janet Morrison from Queensland - sounds very similar to the one kathq is using. If kathq can't post her website - let me know and I will see if I can find it.