Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Lara at the tender age of 14 and with her new handler, Hannah, gave Rally a go on Friday night. Her tail never stopped wagging (Lara's not Hannah's) and she thought that she was the bees knees being out there.

Thanks Hannah for looking after the old girl and it was even better me being able to watch it back on video :banghead:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lara at the tender age of 14 and with her new handler, Hannah, gave Rally a go on Friday night. Her tail never stopped wagging (Lara's not Hannah's) and she thought that she was the bees knees being out there.

Thanks Hannah for looking after the old girl and it was even better me being able to watch it back on video :banghead:

No problem. :mad She is soooo fun to work with and certaintly keeps me on my toes as she knows what I am supposed to be doing much better then I do. :party:

She got an awesome score of 93 too.. the only deductions coming from a handler reading 'Spiral' as serpentine and not being careful with the leash. :laugh:

Hey Sandi...I never thought Moo was dumb, not any Toller actually!!! Brookie?...well thats another story!!!!! :)

Scoota was outstanding on Friday night! With not a lot of training he has picked up every exercise and will lift the bar for UDX I'm sure!!! Well done mate :banghead:

Hmmm after years of saying my little man isn't the sharpest tool in the shed or nope he is really dumb - I now want to take it all back and my new thoughts are - I am one very lucky girl to have a dog who picks things up so quickly. After starting UDX training on the 3rd November, after returning from Brisbane - he did me proud being thrown in at the deep end on Friday night and entering his first UDX trial. It was a stupid thing to do - still rewarding each exercise multiple times in training he was no where near being ready - but as we progressed through each of the exercises he got more and more excited, showing that he knew what I wanted. At the end of his time in the ring he came out a very happy boy, and me, I was tickled pink, his only mistake a missed down in change of positions (something I haven't done much work on going from a sit to a down). So we have a list of things to work on over the summer break, but before that the kids will all have a few weeks off to recharge the batteries and me - well I am a lucky girl having such a clever boy to work with - thanks Scoota.
Last night's trial was the most stress-free trial I've ever been at. Might have been due to the fact that I wasn't entered :laugh: But I put both girls through the Rally-O course that was set up :) I got to relax, watch people and their dogs in the ring, sit around and drink/eat, had a great time :mad I know this isn't the brags thread but I think Ptolomy should be having a bit of a brag about her night :party:

Wahoo well done again Scoota and Ptolomy - hope there were lots of jackpots for his performance :banghead: .

Sounds like Lara had a ball in rally - well done RallyValley and Lara :mad . Hope the video gets posted Ptolomy - I'd love to see it.

Edited by ness

woohoo, after the past couple of years making no real progress in obedience we are making progress! We would always have amazing heel-work, interspersed with enthusiastic visiting to the judge and steward and ring-side watchers, which would cause us to loose all our points, or close to it! Finally I have a great trainer, and a set game-plan that makes sense. Yesterday she blew me off, like usual, which resulted in me abruptly ending the 'game' and marching her off to her crate for 'time out'. Having already done some training with the same method (when you blow me off, the game ends and you go into time out) it was basically meaning that I WILL be consistent now, even in the ring. There IS a consequence for blowing me off (I previously used to try and work her through it and bring her back to me, which would just hype her up more!) she dragged her heels as I marched her away, she KNEW and ya could see the 'uh oh' look on her face! I never said a word to her (beyond my NRM of "uh uh!" as she went away from me) and ignored her once in her near-by crate.

Today, she was on me like glue for the entire round. We lost half a point on a crooked sit in the on-lead heelwork, and we had a PERFECT off-lead score! We screwed up the recall a bit [1.5 points off the present and a crooked sit] but she did it ok (and I haven't been training it lately as I was focusing more on the attention thing) and I'm just so proud of her! I've NEVER had less than 5-10 points taken off each heel pattern for her being an ass! haha. We trained it (took a toy into the ring) so I scratched my stays and couldn't get a ribbon, but I'm still absolutely chuffed with her. :banghead:

Hmmm after years of saying my little man isn't the sharpest tool in the shed or nope he is really dumb - I now want to take it all back and my new thoughts are - I am one very lucky girl to have a dog who picks things up so quickly. After starting UDX training on the 3rd November, after returning from Brisbane - he did me proud being thrown in at the deep end on Friday night and entering his first UDX trial. It was a stupid thing to do - still rewarding each exercise multiple times in training he was no where near being ready - but as we progressed through each of the exercises he got more and more excited, showing that he knew what I wanted. At the end of his time in the ring he came out a very happy boy, and me, I was tickled pink, his only mistake a missed down in change of positions (something I haven't done much work on going from a sit to a down). So we have a list of things to work on over the summer break, but before that the kids will all have a few weeks off to recharge the batteries and me - well I am a lucky girl having such a clever boy to work with - thanks Scoota.
Last night's trial was the most stress-free trial I've ever been at. Might have been due to the fact that I wasn't entered :party: But I put both girls through the Rally-O course that was set up :laugh: I got to relax, watch people and their dogs in the ring, sit around and drink/eat, had a great time :banghead: I know this isn't the brags thread but I think Ptolomy should be having a bit of a brag about her night :mad

Congratulations Ptolomy for nearly passing UDX after only training about 5 weeks. Gawd love to see him after 5 months of training.

Well done

Last night's trial was the most stress-free trial I've ever been at. Might have been due to the fact that I wasn't entered :party: But I put both girls through the Rally-O course that was set up :laugh: I got to relax, watch people and their dogs in the ring, sit around and drink/eat, had a great time :banghead: I know this isn't the brags thread but I think Ptolomy should be having a bit of a brag about her night :mad

way to go Scooter Beagie

Great work, RallyValley!!! :banghead: Have you got yours and Lexi's, too?

If it isn't too much trouble, can you please email me mine? I brought my laptop last night to get them off you but there wasn't really a chance to do it was there :mad

I hope Scoota's UDX round makes it to youtube as I got to see most of it but missed half the seekback with decoy and positions in motion cos I promised to film someone in the CCD ring, which was on at the same time.

UDX is as follows (from http://users.lavalink.com.au/theos/obedience.htm):

Seek Back with Decoy article

Positions in Motion

Scent Discrimination - Judges scent

Directed Sendaway and Recall

Distance Control

Multiple Retrieve

Temperament test

Edited by RubyStar

Who here thinks they will go for a Rally O title when it officially comes in? Especially for those whose dogs already have obedience titles?

We will definitely be doing it. We had a ball at the workshop - had it been an official trial, Jedi would've got his RN title. It is a lot of fun!

Yep, Rory and I will be having a go at Rally. We've done a bit in classes and we've both enjoyed it but haven't done a full test round yet. No obedience trialling yet, either - that's on the plan for 2011.

We're lucky in that Rally is well accepted down here - several mock trials already - in the lunch break between am/pm obedience trials - doable because obedience numbers are low. :thumbsup:

We will definitely be doing it. We had a ball at the workshop - had it been an official trial, Jedi would've got his RN title. It is a lot of fun!

Same :)

Yep, Rory and I will be having a go at Rally. We've done a bit in classes and we've both enjoyed it but haven't done a full test round yet. No obedience trialling yet, either - that's on the plan for 2011.

We're lucky in that Rally is well accepted down here - several mock trials already - in the lunch break between am/pm obedience trials - doable because obedience numbers are low. :)

WA is quite accepting of it too I'd say, looking like we might be heading towards the Tassie level of acceptance :thumbsup: At Friday night's obedience trial they set up a ring for Rally to coincide with the trial. While I would have liked to see more people give it a go, it was great exposure and my girls loved it :D