Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Damn I wish I could have a quick go at the rally o tonight :( Will be watching with interest!

I don't agree with making CCD easier - and I'm a total noob who is daunted by obedience :thumbsup: I don't think making it easier will help - people who want to train their dogs to trial them will make the effort.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn I wish I could have a quick go at the rally o tonight :( Will be watching with interest!

I don't agree with making CCD easier - and I'm a total noob who is daunted by obedience :thumbsup: I don't think making it easier will help - people who want to train their dogs to trial them will make the effort.

I think dumbing it down will reduce the numbers who continue onto higher classes. If it was made any easier, people wouldn't train as hard, come and get their CCD title, then bugger off cos the training to get higher is too hard.

I'm looking forward to giving Rally a go tonight!

I think dumbing it down will reduce the numbers who continue onto higher classes. If it was made any easier, people wouldn't train as hard, come and get their CCD title, then bugger off cos the training to get higher is too hard.

Yeah I agree

and why can't you????

Pesky dog is in season :thumbsup: What a pain :(

I will do CCD with both the Whips as the rules have changed since I last trialed and even though my dog got her CDX I do not consider myself an experienced handler and still get rather nervous.

I did consider going straight to Novice but decided to lower my stress levels a little.

We will be taking a few weeks off thanks to me having broken a toe, and by then Rommi will hopefully be back into normal exercise and her fitness back up again.

This little pup is such a fascinating learning curve. After spending all my time working out what makes my Dally tick, building motivation, trying different treats, using tug and toys with discretion, watching the temperature, monitoring exercise levels....suddenly I have this pup who will work enthusiastically just for her dry food. Anywhere. Any conditions. Any distraction. Ag show, agility training, agility trial, local shopping strip, off leash at the oval (allowed) whilst local footy team train. I keep waiting for her to break :(

This little pup is such a fascinating learning curve. After spending all my time working out what makes my Dally tick, building motivation, trying different treats, using tug and toys with discretion, watching the temperature, monitoring exercise levels....suddenly I have this pup who will work enthusiastically just for her dry food. Anywhere. Any conditions. Any distraction. Ag show, agility training, agility trial, local shopping strip, off leash at the oval (allowed) whilst local footy team train. I keep waiting for her to break :thumbsup:

It's great isn't it!!! I love puppies like this! :(

On the topic of class numbers, here in QLD at least at the trials over that last 5 or so months UD has been our biggest class and usually the last one finished. For my club's most recent double header we had to contract a third judge for UD as we had 29 entries and one judge was doing the 7 UDX entries as well! There isn't a set way that clubs split classes here, I usually split them randomly "one for this pile one for that pile..." but there are some clubs that split on Dog/Bitch and one club I trialled at earlier this year split dogs in UD on titled or untitled which of course sucked for the judge that got the untitled ring cos by the time he got to me (2nd last) he'd obviously had enough of telling new UD handlers what they could/couldn't do and was rather negative about my run out despite Ella only stuffing up a couple of things.

Last night's trial was the most stress-free trial I've ever been at. Might have been due to the fact that I wasn't entered ;) But I put both girls through the Rally-O course that was set up :( I got to relax, watch people and their dogs in the ring, sit around and drink/eat, had a great time :thumbsup: I know this isn't the brags thread but I think Ptolomy should be having a bit of a brag about her night :(

Last night's trial was the most stress-free trial I've ever been at. Might have been due to the fact that I wasn't entered ;) But I put both girls through the Rally-O course that was set up :) I got to relax, watch people and their dogs in the ring, sit around and drink/eat, had a great time :thumbsup: I know this isn't the brags thread but I think Ptolomy should be having a bit of a brag about her night :(

more of the same tonight then ? oops sorry remembered you are entered :( will be there cheering you on !

Last night's trial was the most stress-free trial I've ever been at. Might have been due to the fact that I wasn't entered :( But I put both girls through the Rally-O course that was set up :p I got to relax, watch people and their dogs in the ring, sit around and drink/eat, had a great time :thumbsup: I know this isn't the brags thread but I think Ptolomy should be having a bit of a brag about her night :(

more of the same tonight then ? oops sorry remembered you are entered :) will be there cheering you on !

I suspect more of the same, regardless of being entered! I'll be nervous just before my run but determined to just "be cool" and will definitely have some fun ;) :)

Who here thinks they will go for a Rally O title when it officially comes in? Especially for those whose dogs already have obedience titles?

I will be working on Rally when it comes in I have another twelve months with my baby before I intend to put him in the ring Rally will be first. I have just made all the signs etc. for practise, I train in a group where I live all the group will be working on it Beagie

Hmmm after years of saying my little man isn't the sharpest tool in the shed or nope he is really dumb - I now want to take it all back and my new thoughts are - I am one very lucky girl to have a dog who picks things up so quickly. After starting UDX training on the 3rd November, after returning from Brisbane - he did me proud being thrown in at the deep end on Friday night and entering his first UDX trial. It was a stupid thing to do - still rewarding each exercise multiple times in training he was no where near being ready - but as we progressed through each of the exercises he got more and more excited, showing that he knew what I wanted. At the end of his time in the ring he came out a very happy boy, and me, I was tickled pink, his only mistake a missed down in change of positions (something I haven't done much work on going from a sit to a down). So we have a list of things to work on over the summer break, but before that the kids will all have a few weeks off to recharge the batteries and me - well I am a lucky girl having such a clever boy to work with - thanks Scoota.

Last night's trial was the most stress-free trial I've ever been at. Might have been due to the fact that I wasn't entered :party: But I put both girls through the Rally-O course that was set up :laugh: I got to relax, watch people and their dogs in the ring, sit around and drink/eat, had a great time :banghead: I know this isn't the brags thread but I think Ptolomy should be having a bit of a brag about her night :mad