Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Yep Lara is the best $50 I have EVER spent - she turns 14 on the 9th December, she is my first OC and she is one very special little black girl who still comes training and gets to do little bits and pieces. She is selectively deaf, her eye sight isn't the best but she can still hear the fridge open from the other side of the house :)

Lara always gets to go around Rally with me! Since she has been doing Obedience before I got my pen licence ( :cry: ) she know what she is doing way better then me and loves to ignore me completely if my signals aren't great. :) Such a good teacher :D

:p :p

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UDX training sucks - it ALL went pearshaped last night.

I am off to Dick Smith at lunch time to buy a radio. Hopefully having this on while we do change of positions will work towards curing the automatical change of positions I get when the judge tells me the next position needed. Fingers crossed

I am off to Dick Smith at lunch time to buy a radio. Hopefully having this on while we do change of positions will work towards curing the automatical change of positions I get when the judge tells me the next position needed. Fingers crossed

Have you done UDX before? It sounds scary :eek::laugh: .

Have you done UDX before? It sounds scary :):laugh: .

Yes but not with this little ball of frustration and now I know why!!!!!

We are having a few days off where hopefully latent learning will magically appear and when I try again on Saturday all problems will have magically disappeared.

Bedazzled is going to read this when she comes home and laugh :eek:

Have you tried asking the doggie for a different position from the one the judge asks for?

i am sure Poppy stopped before me on the weekend at least once when the judge said halt. My old girl used to do that to.

Ella used to do this when I was training for UD! If she heard even someone in the ring next to us say drop she would start to anticipate it! I can stir you a little here and say I've got a working UDX change of positions with Ella, however that's all I have for UDX I'm too scared to try and train the rest while still polishing up our UD stuff!!

I was really pleased with my guys training last night. Not because they all worked amazing but because of the enthusiasm. They all wanted to be out first. I had Poppy out and it started pouring with rain. I finished her and figured I would give up for the day but Brock and Amber had other ideas. Whilst putting Poppy back, Brock trotted out and sat in the starting place. So I thought ok a bit of training for you. Put him back and Amber is out and ready :( Training her was a tad trickier as the poor love was having trouble seeing as she gives such good focus and it was raining pretty hard and she was getting rain in her eyes. I got drenched but they were all happy :D

Ugh! Tonight Jedi and I had our last OB trial for the year... He was going so well (winning the ring) and then.... he decided to stand in the down stay! He's started this little habit of whining during the down stay which is progressively starting earlier and earlier in the stay. It's not an anxiety thing - it's a "I know I'm going to get my treat so come on let's hurry up and goooooooooo!" This never happens in training, only in a trial. In training he can do over 6 minutes and there's absolutely no hint of whining.

So... My idea to fix his issue is to always do some other type of stay after his down stay in training and try to replicate a trial environment as much as I can... What do people think? Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Ok I shall try again. I lost my message and I dont know where :D Ptolomy what's this with a radio fixing positions??? Gabby cant do her seekback no more. We have to get the decoy arghhhhh. Went through the positions but than we went through the ummm not allowed to move at all and have to stay in my position for a long time cause I know that it is a trick question and I am not falling for it :happydance2: I was suppose to trail her next year but it could be the following as we keep on crashing multi retrieve :happydance2: heelwork in motion what's a sit????The only thing she does great is the towels :D Good luck Has WA got lots of people doing udx?

Have you done UDX before? It sounds scary :happydance2: :D .

We are having a few days off where hopefully latent learning will magically appear and when I try again on Saturday all problems will have magically disappeared.

Bedazzled is going to read this when she comes home and laugh :D

I have been practising saying toloame leaving out the P LOL LOL If you see either Julie or Carolyn at the

trial on the 10th. if you have my I Squeeks can you give them to one of them for me as they will phone

me when they get home I only leave a couple of streets away from them thanks Beagie

:) :) :laugh::):o :o :o:rofl: (Know how you feel :) )

Have you done UDX before? It sounds scary :eek::) .

Bedazzled is going to read this when she comes home and laugh :)

Had finally decided to pull my finger out and do a little bit of UDX training should go back to my once in a blue moon training it works much better :love: . Well we failed 5 out of 5 exercises. Love to find the decoy and brings that back to me. Pick up the towel that was next to the correct one(give her the benefit of the doubt as a big wind came through as she was doing it) Heelwork in motion normally cant do a sit but hey presto no problems cant do drop. Change of position we can do well when somebody else says it and than when we realize that we are suppose to do it when mummy says so she decided that she cant do a stand arghhh. Than I thought we would do the multi retrieve as we can do that quite well nope we take off before we give a command and than coming down to me she keeps on dropping it. O well back to the drawing board

Had finally decided to pull my finger out and do a little bit of UDX training should go back to my once in a blue moon training it works much better :love: . Well we failed 5 out of 5 exercises. Love to find the decoy and brings that back to me. Pick up the towel that was next to the correct one(give her the benefit of the doubt as a big wind came through as she was doing it) Heelwork in motion normally cant do a sit but hey presto no problems cant do drop. Change of position we can do well when somebody else says it and than when we realize that we are suppose to do it when mummy says so she decided that she cant do a stand arghhh. Than I thought we would do the multi retrieve as we can do that quite well nope we take off before we give a command and than coming down to me she keeps on dropping it. O well back to the drawing board

Xena98 I feel your pain :)

I had somebody call me a bit of a round on Saturday night and the only thing he did wrong was coming before being called in the sendaway - not something I have worked on much - which means training tonight is going to be very pearshaped where it will be like he has never done any of the exercises in his entire life - bless him :)

We are still in the reward everything phase and he still has his training wheels on ( I am using training aids - a small piece of hoop in the middle of the cones and a mat for his change of positions). What is so frustrating is that just when you think they are getting it - it slaps you in the face and you go back to square one.

May I prescribe a bottle of red wine for your pain :)

:hug: Only problem dont like the red but I shall go for a bottle of vodka and at my rate that could be gone in a day :) Yep know all about the slap in the face. Thought I had gone through all of that with Xena ha Gabby came out with some beauties owell keep on trying. How mad is this I am also doing Inka and she is very slow pace. Cant do much with her she doesnt like change at all she just shuts down so with her you do little bit and than you dont do anything for a month. Seems to be working buy my oh my its such a slow progress. We still have to teach the decoy and we are doing the multi retrieve and with that one she goes ummm there is nothing there for me to retrieve so ummm I'm not going anywhere. Once she knows there is something there she goes and retrieves it its the first one that seems to be the problem. We also can do it beautiful with gloves so its 2 gloves out and 1 leather article at the moment still. One day we might just get it and go straight out. Looks like there is another bottle of vodka coming my way :eek:

:hug: Only problem dont like the red but I shall go for a bottle of vodka and at my rate that could be gone in a day :) Yep know all about the slap in the face. Thought I had gone through all of that with Xena ha Gabby came out with some beauties owell keep on trying. How mad is this I am also doing Inka and she is very slow pace. Cant do much with her she doesnt like change at all she just shuts down so with her you do little bit and than you dont do anything for a month. Seems to be working buy my oh my its such a slow progress. We still have to teach the decoy and we are doing the multi retrieve and with that one she goes ummm there is nothing there for me to retrieve so ummm I'm not going anywhere. Once she knows there is something there she goes and retrieves it its the first one that seems to be the problem. We also can do it beautiful with gloves so its 2 gloves out and 1 leather article at the moment still. One day we might just get it and go straight out. Looks like there is another bottle of vodka coming my way :eek:

What are you using for seekback with a decoy - Bedazzled and I are both using metal and we are teaching it as a long distance scent discimination exercise.

For the multi retrieve yep very hard sending a dog out to nothing they have no idea what you are giving direction to. Did you ever use food bowls to teach gloves?? I am using food for the blind retrieve - amazing how straight they can run when they can't see but can smell what you are sending them for!!