Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok a shaping question, how long before you add a cue to a behaviour? I started shaping hand touches last night with Mack and also did some more work on getting him to pick up an article. At the moment there are no cues, I hold my hand out and he comes over and puts his nose on my palm or I hold the article and he will usually put his mouth around it (we're not at the holding it stage yet) - would you put cues on these behaviours now or wait longer?

I went hunting and found this for you...

adding_a_cue.pdf

Lost last night ......

One seekback of lost article with decoy. Found 3 x blind retrieves

Lost the night before......

2 x blind retrieves. Positions in motion have been found.

Lost on the weekend.......

Positions in motion

I think there is a pattern here :) Oh the joys of training for a new class :rofl:

Edited by Ptolomy

:rofl: Not sure how you managed to get that :D

:mad I must be special

Still don't get how Ptolomy = tollerme :D

Ever heard of a silent P? :rofl:

but why :D

:D 'cos it's all Greek! Here ya go, Tiggy - Wikipedia article.

And :) @ JulesP thinking RubyStar. I try to channel Ptolomy working Cider - works for me in training at least :rofl: .

Ziggy just did a photo shoot with Josh Thomas. Funny how hard 'sit' and 'stand' can get when you're in front of a camera :)

THAT IS SO COOL!! I love JT. I saw him live in Brissy when he was here last and he was hilarious (and a real dog lover too). When can we see the pics?? What was it for? :)

Ziggy just did a photo shoot with Josh Thomas. Funny how hard 'sit' and 'stand' can get when you're in front of a camera :)

THAT IS SO COOL!! I love JT. I saw him live in Brissy when he was here last and he was hilarious (and a real dog lover too). When can we see the pics?? What was it for? :)

Heh heh - 'tis very cool :) He was really nice, great with the dogs seeing as he was all dressed up and having to focus on the camera and looked VERY dapper on the set - there were some group shots with other dogs and then some single shots with Zig. I think it was a promo for his next comedy show but I could be wrong - there will probably be pics on his Facebook page. They were planning to upload a bit of video from the photo shoot too. I will keep an eye out. I like his work but haven't seen him live.

Does anyone have any tips for fixing 'lazy' drops during heeling, that is dropping most of the way with the chest still slightly off the ground?

If I give the command a second time she will drop all the way. She's also only doing it during heeling, I presume because she is anticipating moving off again. I'm only rewarding good drops but she doesn't seem to care :dancingelephant:

Ziggy just did a photo shoot with Josh Thomas. Funny how hard 'sit' and 'stand' can get when you're in front of a camera :dancingelephant:

SO jealous of Ziggy! :birthday:

:dancingelephant: Luckily it hasn't gone to his head!

Does anyone have any tips for fixing 'lazy' drops during heeling, that is dropping most of the way with the chest still slightly off the ground?

If I give the command a second time she will drop all the way. She's also only doing it during heeling, I presume because she is anticipating moving off again. I'm only rewarding good drops but she doesn't seem to care :birthday:

wuffles - assuming that you have made the heel position VERY rewarding and she's fine physically, I would start the training session with something like the 2 food game rewarding fast, accurate drops. Then I'd move into a brief heeling pattern. If she drops properly, I'd jackpot (in position!) with rapid fire awesome treats - probably wouldn't release but continue doing the heeling pattern for a short time - lots of reinforcement. If she doesn't drop properly I would consider giving a NRM and quitting this fun rewarding game for her that is heeling - you can simply move out of position and end the game or crate if you have to get the message across. Also worth getting a video of yourself - your body language might be encouraging her to anticipate moving forward too.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

If I give the command a second time she will drop all the way. She's also only doing it during heeling, I presume because she is anticipating moving off again. I'm only rewarding good drops but she doesn't seem to care :dancingelephant:

This problem usually occurs because you have been rewarding up high and the dog is semi-raising its body to move towards the reinforcer. Start rewarding the downs between the front legs and on the ground.

Be careful getting into the habit of giving a second command to drop :dancingelephant:

Thanks guys :birthday: The problem has only started recently, probably when I started working on duration heeling. I've been accidentally reinforcing the sloppy drops because for a while I didn't realise she wasn't going all the way down until someone pointed it out and I took a video!! :dancingelephant:

I'll try all of your suggestions, she does love heeling games so hopefully it can be fixed. My body language and rewarding position probably does need improving as well. It's hard being a beginner and having a dog that is smarter than you :dancingelephant:

:dancingelephant: awwwwww dear Lars Ptolomy. Well I have to laugh my bag of a dog Ness who was a disgrace at the last trial to the point where I thought I'd hang up her Obedience shoes once and for all came out last night and put together the UD round of her life. Bitch - guess I might have to reconsider my plans for her next year :dancingelephant: .

Meanwhile her little sister is going free to any home that wants her :birthday: .

Yep Lara is the best $50 I have EVER spent - she turns 14 on the 9th December, she is my first OC and she is one very special little black girl who still comes training and gets to do little bits and pieces. She is selectively deaf, her eye sight isn't the best but she can still hear the fridge open from the other side of the house :dancingelephant:

Yep Lara is the best $50 I have EVER spent - she turns 14 on the 9th December, she is my first OC and she is one very special little black girl who still comes training and gets to do little bits and pieces. She is selectively deaf, her eye sight isn't the best but she can still hear the fridge open from the other side of the house :p

Lara always gets to go around Rally with me! Since she has been doing Obedience before I got my pen licence ( :p ) she know what she is doing way better then me and loves to ignore me completely if my signals aren't great. :) Such a good teacher :cry: