Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So 'fess up you two - how'd your clever dogs go???

I have a little live wire here - she is such a blast to train but I feel such a responsibility to make the most of her potential.

Well if there was such a thing as a strategic pairs UDX - then I think we would almost manage our first leg :laugh:

As for your little live wire - just enjoy the ride :laugh:

So 'fess up you two - how'd your clever dogs go???

I have a little live wire here - she is such a blast to train but I feel such a responsibility to make the most of her potential.

Well if there was such a thing as a strategic pairs UDX - then I think we would almost manage our first leg :eek:

As for your little live wire - just enjoy the ride :laugh:

:rofl: I now have tears in my eyes - great idea - love it! I'll volunteer Ziggy to do all the stays seeing as everyone seems to hate them :o

Ptolomy, she's like a day pass to side show alley at the Royal Show.....roller coaster meets kamikaze :laugh: Fortunately she's just passed out so everyone is getting some rest!

:laugh: I now have tears in my eyes - great idea - love it! I'll volunteer Ziggy to do all the stays seeing as everyone seems to hate them :rofl:

Ptolomy, she's like a day pass to side show alley at the Royal Show.....roller coaster meets kamikaze :laugh: Fortunately she's just passed out so everyone is getting some rest!

Stays - its a deal :o

Tell us more - I love her already just from your description. I always choose the naughty one when selecting a puppy and Cider sounds like her twin sister :eek:

I'll get Mr TSD to video her soon I promise.

She sits on command and now drops as well - throws herself to the ground - taught the verbal command in 3 short sessions and she can already discriminate between sit and drop. I think that's pretty cool for a 13 week old pup. She's doing nose touches to my hand - bit rough but she's so impatient. She didn't even blink when I introduced the clicker. I'm teaching her heel position - just luring but starting to introduce a command. She runs fast and is gutsy as hell - runs straight up the sloped block whilst Zig picks out the easiest path - great for retrieving. I will have to get my handling up to speed for agility as I'm no match for her already :laugh: She will be coming with me to a local ag show this weekend - our agility club is doing demos so I will get to practice everything in a novel environment. I took her to a t-touch workshop on Monday (with Zig and the 3 cats) and whilst the lady in charge was demonstrating with her I was throwing in some commands to "sit" and "come" - she just ignores everything else and focuses on me.

We will consolidate everything she knows in different settings but need to learn more at home - will read my focussed puppy book again tonight!

When I picked her out I looked for the pup who wanted to retrieve and was good with loud noises - she was the standout for me. Her breeder calls her the little terror(-ist) :laugh:

Puppy sounds like she is going well TSD. :angeldevil:

I used some frankfurt & devon today with Amber and she went nuts for it. Lucky I still have fingers left! I normally use this when I am out. So for some reason it is just the raw meat she can't be bothered with. Or she was having an off day. I also trained her last so she got to watch the other 2 munching on treats.

I've been doing a bit of drive training with Brock and he is coming along. Brock 'failed' a drive clinic with Steve due to being too polite so I am quite pleased with the progress.

ok a shaping question, how long before you add a cue to a behaviour? I started shaping hand touches last night with Mack and also did some more work on getting him to pick up an article. At the moment there are no cues, I hold my hand out and he comes over and puts his nose on my palm or I hold the article and he will usually put his mouth around it (we're not at the holding it stage yet) - would you put cues on these behaviours now or wait longer?

Seita - I would probably add a cue when the behaviour is what I'm looking for - ie for nose touch, really enthusiastic and coming in at all different angles to the hand. I think for the retrieve I got to the point where I was gently restraining Zig and then gave him his release word before I added a verbal cue.

I usually put a cue for a hand touch on rather early because they seem to get it within one or two sessions. With articles I don't worry about putting a cue on it until the dog is picking it up off the ground and placing it in my hand.

Last night was bitter sweet for me, after our disater at canberra with the dalmation iv spent the last 3 months working on his stays to get them solid again, so last night i went to a mock trial to test the waters and see if all the work i had put in was sucessfull and.... It was i got 2 passes last night i was soo stoked untill somone reminded me that if it was a trial that would have been our tital.

I also got him mesured and he is 430mm / 16.92 in

Started some shaping with the puppy today :eek: . I'm shaping him to touch a flower pot with his nose, he's at the stage where he will reliably look at me then :laugh: look at the pot, will start to wait for movement towards the pot next. It amazes me how smart dogs are, I couldn't believe how quick he caught on. I tried it with Banjo next, he's already running from a short distance to nose touch the pot, he loved it :o .