Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Have any of you experienced teaching an exercise where the dog picks it up far quicker then you thought - thinking some of the more complicated exercises.

I have run maybe half a dozen training sessions on scent articles with Kenz - just went out and ran another one a moment ago - 4 unscented woods, 4 unscented metals and she was 100% finding the correctly scented wood or metal. I thought she was just watching where I placed it but even if I had her sit while I placed it then went back and released her to play tug and then set her up again to find the article she still found the correct one.

There was also no double checking - she would sniff the incorrect ones and then move on until she found the correct one and then return with that one immediately.

Its not even as though the correct article has residual food scent on it since I am rewarding her with a tug not food. Nothing that would make the correct article any more enticing then any of the others really.

Very strange.

ETA. TerraNik well that was one of them but I presumed it might take me longer then a session to teach LOL. Think we might have that one dusted inside a week or so. Now to work on leather and then start adding the leather. That confused her just before so will do that separately and make the pile a little smaller.

Edited by ness

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:) yes only if Jedi teaches her how to do 2o2o contacts. Although hmmm do you think you could get her away from Soaks long enough for her to actually get her to teach Jedi anything at all :thumbsup: .

ETA. Maybe I should get Kenz to teach Ness who seems to have forgotten that she is suppose to be working an article pile when sent not going out to check out the nearest hedge on the off chance she might find food.

Edited by ness

So what are people's training plans for the "summer break". Are you training dogs/giving them a holiday? I sat down last night and drew up a timetable for the rest of Nov/Dec/Jan until we start back again.

Think its called some major procrastination :thumbsup: .

Some plans but who knows how much will actually happen! I want to do some tidying up of our UD work and some basic agility stuff (maybe weaves) with Ella... and with Mack all I want to work on is teaching him heel (he hasn't been taught it at all yet!)

Shame you're not arriving a week earlier, you could come watch our last trial of the year!

Yeah it's a bugger! But we'll still be able to catch up I'm sure ;)

*gasp*! North of the River!!!! ;) :eek:

;) Duncraig that's miles away :laugh: :p

Yep South Geraldton when I look at a map :eek:

Will you have Daisy with you?

LOL Ptolomy so it is a DOL Training Talk meet at your house then?? ;)

No Daisy is not coming, she'll be at kennels here in Brissy ;)

We were always NOR'ers ;) but we used to live in Mt Lawley so were much more central! My nana lives out in Duncraig which is why we are staying all the way out there :D :D

I thought it might be an idea to have a thread just for anything training related we want to talk about. It'll stop us going way off topic in other threads :D . Well Banjo is out of action again, had another grass seed pulled out from in between his toes and has to wear a sock out on walks. I get to concentrate on Sophie for a bit though which is good. I did some training with her in the driveway today. It makes me laugh how she loves the 'Hansel and Gretel' game for the chase of the food where as Banjo is like why did you throw it when you could have just given it to me :) . Well that's it for me today, hopefully everyone will think this thread is a good idea :thumbsup: .

Wonderful idea! It is also fun reading what other dog/owners are accomplishing (or not accomplishing) lol :thumbsup:

My maltese and I are working on several tricks like dancing and taking a bow. I want her to do a mini-performance come Christmas time. Wish us luck!!!

ARGH to UDX training - it sucks :cry:

We have bits, little bits, disjointed bits, bits and pieces and even the occassional full bit, but nothing consistent. What he knew yesterday has gone 24 hours later :laugh:

I think the title of OC (Occassionally Clever) is all he is destined ever to be :mad

Maybe I should write a book Training for UDX - not sure if it will sit with the books that make you weep, or the horror books that make you scared to read on, or perhaps it will just sit with the books that make you laugh.

At least you have judges scent!!! We have 2 good exercises...the rest..... :mad:laugh:

ARGH to UDX training - it sucks :(

We have bits, little bits, disjointed bits, bits and pieces and even the occassional full bit, but nothing consistent. What he knew yesterday has gone 24 hours later :cry:

I think the title of OC (Occassionally Clever) is all he is destined ever to be :(

Maybe I should write a book Training for UDX - not sure if it will sit with the books that make you weep, or the horror books that make you scared to read on, or perhaps it will just sit with the books that make you laugh.

ARGH to UDX training - it sucks :cry:

We have bits, little bits, disjointed bits, bits and pieces and even the occassional full bit, but nothing consistent. What he knew yesterday has gone 24 hours later :laugh:

I think the title of OC (Occassionally Clever) is all he is destined ever to be :mad

Oh I luv it a new title OC must put that in my memory banks Beagie

I had a not so good night too Ptolomy. I have not seen Toby that out of it and nervey at K9 for quite awhile :( I feel so bad for him when he is so anxious.

:love: Poor Toby.

My night was alright, considering I rocked up feeling like I was already in training holiday mode :laugh::mad

And I forgot my treats, brand new packet of 4Legs sitting in mum's fridge :( Thanks for the goodies Ptolomy and Valley! Life savers!

I did an Open ring runout with Millie. She coped ok, but by the last exercise she was a bit over it and it took a second attempt to get her to recognise a down signal :) (don't worry, when she failed the first one, I returned and set her up again ;)) Oh and she has a better DOR than Ruby - why am I not surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked on seekback with both kiddies, and very happy with what I have so far :cry: Very early stages, though!

Huski will you have access to a PC and a car while you are in WA.

Happy to have a get together at K9 or at my house - I know you all know what dust bunnies look like so no need to run around and vaccuum :laugh:

Dust bunnies? Not I! :(:cry:

Get together sounds good when huski is here, wherever we have it I'll bake some goodies :mad And Amy - bring the goon bag!!