Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

At the Susan Garrett Obedience lecture last week she gave a solution to that problem...

You have the food sitting there and you ask to tug, if they don't tug you move into another room (food stays where it is). Ask to tug... If they don't tug, move farther away into another area of the house. If they don't tug, keep moving farther away until they DO tug (and only when they are tugging at their normal intensity). Then, run back to the food and reward them. Keep repeating that and they should learn that tugging next to the food will get them what they want faster. She says you should never not tug when the dog is having a "don't wanna, don't hafta" moment - you should keep persisting, particularly with puppies as sometimes their tugging behaviour will become extinct if you don't push it.

Thanks for that I'll give that a go :) .

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A glass of champagne before heading into the ring Friday night helped me to remain calm and show my dog that everything was ok :(

:D :D :) ;) and what a difference it made

Well done on your title on Friday night - Millie worked really well and you were a heap of fun to have around :laugh:

PS - make sure you bring another popping bottle for the last trial of the year!!!

Mental note: get sloshed at all trials so I am more fun :cheer:

I can drink more at the next trial because I probably won't have a dog entered!

Edited by RubyStar

I wish I could go to a trial on NYE... Sounds way more fun than fireworks!

Ditto! I don't do anything on NYE, and would much prefer to hang out with doggy people at a trial!

Hmmm why don't any clubs in Perth hold one on NYE :) Maybe we all need to gatecrash the Adelaide one ;)

So you going to come RubyStar - its Strategic Pairs and Jumping on offer along with obedience this year :) . I could almost be tempted into going ;) .

I could put Jedi in novice jumping and not be worried about embarassing myself in front of people I know! :(

Problem is getting there... $$$$$$$$ :D

Oooh yes you could :) . Hmmm its my birthday too is that enough incentive to come ;) .

LOL we could put Jedi and Kenz in Strat Pairs for a laugh. Kenz would just have to do the weaving LOL.

Edited by ness

I'll be in Perth over Xmas and New Years so we will have to catch up RS :cheer:

Pick me :)

You can come and meet all the red family :D and get dog hair all over you :(

Awesome huski, we definitely need to catch up ;) I think a bunch of us need to go out to dinner and/or get drunk then :D

Oooh yes you could :) . Hmmm its my birthday too is that enough incentive to come ;) .

LOL we could put Jedi and Kenz in Strat Pairs for a laugh. Kenz would just have to do the weaving LOL.

Fine, ditch Ruby and pair with Jedi then, see if I care :D

I would love to go, but as TN points out, we need $$$$$$ to do so and it costs extra to bring a dog! Don't think I can afford to do the Nationals either :( :D

Edited by RubyStar

I am showing on NYE (aren't we ValleyCBR :( ) if that is any help.

and to keep this training related......

Strauss was in his first show on Saturday - having not been taught how to stand and having done no gaiting practice - he actually did very well. The bit of obedience work I had done with my hand out wide and him targeting it worked a treat :) ValleyCBR and him made a lovely couple ;)