Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Yep one of mine is motivated by "food", and the other is motivated by "FOOOODDDD!!!!!"" :laugh: And toys, but only if I'm holding them or throwing them, otherwise they are invisible.

Yeah there is definitely a big difference between food exchange and food drive.

Though I am sure I could work a prey driven dog who didn't have much if any food drive :o Personally though - if I had a prey driven dog I was training to do dog sports etc I wouldn't use anything that squeaked as a reward. Mish is really prey driven and I am fine for him to have squeaky toys because he doesn't 'work'.

Edited by huski

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a belief out there that if you are wanting to do retrieving with your dog that you should not play tug with it.

What are peoples thoughts on this - it is just an old wives tale??

And then there's the other one that says that you always have to win a game of tug so your dog doesn't think it's in charge.... I don't believe any of it. My dog likes to tug so I reward her with that, like RubyStar said earlier as long as you teach the retrieve correctly you shouldn't have a problem.

There is a belief out there that if you are wanting to do retrieving with your dog that you should not play tug with it.

What are peoples thoughts on this - it is just an old wives tale??

And then there's the other one that says that you always have to win a game of tug so your dog doesn't think it's in charge.... I don't believe any of it. My dog likes to tug so I reward her with that, like RubyStar said earlier as long as you teach the retrieve correctly you shouldn't have a problem.

I think dogs are plenty smart enough to be able to tell they are two seperate exercises, or can with a little bit of training if required and it shouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes mine are too smart for their own good!

Has everyone finished trialling for the year? We don't have many trials left in QLD (for obed) and we won't be trialling again till next year now.

you should enter sunny coast's trial at the end of the month! I think they're still taking late entries!!! That's gonna be my last one :rofl: and then there's nothing until the end of January boo hoo :rainbowbridge:

Has everyone finished trialling for the year? We don't have many trials left in QLD (for obed) and we won't be trialling again till next year now.

Nope... we have one more left at our club's grounds, so I'm looking forward to that! :rainbowbridge:

It's Abby's first Novice trial!

I'm a bit over trialling at the moment, I think I need a break. Besides, the Sunny Coast is a bit of a drive :rainbowbridge:

You should come for a drive to Sydney and do some trialling :rofl:

LOL for sure! If Daisy and I can ever pull it together that is. LOL.

I'm a bit over trialling at the moment, I think I need a break. Besides, the Sunny Coast is a bit of a drive :rainbowbridge:

You should come for a drive to Sydney and do some trialling :rofl:

I hope to do this some day, or at least some trials in northern NSW for something a bit different. Most likely won't happen next year though....

I'm a bit over trialling at the moment, I think I need a break. Besides, the Sunny Coast is a bit of a drive :laugh:

You should come for a drive to Sydney and do some trialling :o

I hope to do this some day, or at least some trials in northern NSW for something a bit different. Most likely won't happen next year though....

:rainbowbridge:

That would be awesome! :laugh:

Ahsoka is going to make her debut early next year... I've picked a trial date so that I have a deadline to work towards! I did some training with her today at a breed show and although it was about 38 degrees, she did some really nice work! She's not as enthusiastic as Jedi, but I'm thinking that's a good thing :rofl: He has a little tooooooo much :rofl:

I think Poppy is actually ready to enter something :rofl: She did a nice run through today. I have bad nerves as you know but today as I started I tried to channel RubyStar as I liked her handling in her last video. Things went well and I actually managed to walk so :rainbowbridge:

I think Poppy is actually ready to enter something :) She did a nice run through today. I have bad nerves as you know but today as I started I tried to channel RubyStar as I liked her handling in her last video. Things went well and I actually managed to walk so :laugh:

Nawww shucks JulesP :) Great stuff and go Poppy!! Would love to see some video sometime :p

But hey, don't go channelling my nerves, too, they will be your undoing in the ring! A glass of champagne before heading into the ring Friday night helped me to remain calm and show my dog that everything was ok :o When she senses something is up, she heels behind me like she is wary of me and that she is possibly in trouble. I managed to get it together at this last trial and her heel position is one of the best I've seen in a trial to date :eek:

Now if I could only sort both my dogs informal recall out. I'm so not happy with their recall when we are out and about :)

When she senses something is up, she heels behind me like she is wary of me and that she is possibly in trouble.

Yes! This is the problem I am having. Except I normally get wide and behind and looking miserable. I find it amazing how we feel effects them so much.

A super cute thing that we noticed is - when the judge says 'return', she immediately turns her head to the side to look for me, before I've even started walking back!

Okay I have a problem :laugh: . I'm attempting to teach the tug/out game - so tug, give for a food reward, then tug again but if Banjo knows I have food he will not tug. I acted like a total idiot trying to get him interested in the toy but it's not happening. I tried it with the pup to and I got two tugs from him but again I had to work real hard to get that. Does anyone else have this problem? I think bedazzled shaped it with Brookie I remember reading.

A glass of champagne before heading into the ring Friday night helped me to remain calm and show my dog that everything was ok :o

:):):laugh::eek: and what a difference it made

Well done on your title on Friday night - Millie worked really well and you were a heap of fun to have around :)

PS - make sure you bring another popping bottle for the last trial of the year!!!

Is the problem ONLY when you are near the food or all the time?

Only when he knows I have food on me. He's a great tugger otherwise :) . I just attempted to start shaping it, clicking and treating for his mouth touching the toy, then his mouth on the toy.

Edited to add he was a mad tugger at agility training and I had food on me then.

Edited by Tiggy

At the Susan Garrett Obedience lecture last week she gave a solution to that problem...

You have the food sitting there and you ask to tug, if they don't tug you move into another room (food stays where it is). Ask to tug... If they don't tug, move farther away into another area of the house. If they don't tug, keep moving farther away until they DO tug (and only when they are tugging at their normal intensity). Then, run back to the food and reward them. Keep repeating that and they should learn that tugging next to the food will get them what they want faster. She says you should never not tug when the dog is having a "don't wanna, don't hafta" moment - you should keep persisting, particularly with puppies as sometimes their tugging behaviour will become extinct if you don't push it.

Edited by TerraNik