Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Question about hand out to the side heeling :D I played with this today and got much straight dogs, they tend to wrap around my leg. Do you get the dog to target your hand or do you use a treat in your hand, which you fade?

The dog is supposed to target the hand but I have been tardey in teaching a duration hand touch so Strauss is targeting my hand which has food in it and I drop the food and he catches it.

I agree with you - this way of heeling produces a much straighter dog with no crabbing. Just be careful that when heeling with your arm out that your arm doesn't drift forward which will produce a dog that heels too far forward.

Edited by Ptolomy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just got home from a training session and am pleased that Ella was able to find her seekback despite the ground being nearly completely covered in water! I now know that if I ever have to trial in puddles she should be able to find her article! :D She has so far had to work in ankle deep mud, gale force winds, torrential rain and on grounds that smelt overpoweringly like fertilizer (to me, I can only imagine how strong it was for her!)!!!

Wow - that's impressive! Zig would have given me a look of derision and gone home I suspect :)

I've never taken my pups to puppy school and they've all turned out fine :D .

Akira didn't go either. At the time, she was scared of everything and we didn't want to take her to puppy school and possibly undo all work we had done. When she was four and a half months old, she started obedience, and by that time she was a little more confident so it was better for her.

Question about hand out to the side heeling :confused: I played with this today and got much straight dogs, they tend to wrap around my leg. Do you get the dog to target your hand or do you use a treat in your hand, which you fade?

The dog is supposed to target the hand but I have been tardey in teaching a duration hand touch so Strauss is targeting my hand which has food in it and I drop the food and he catches it.

I agree with you - this way of heeling produces a much straighter dog with no crabbing. Just be careful that when heeling with your arm out that your arm doesn't drift forward which will produce a dog that heels too far forward.

Thanks :D I tried it with all 3 dogs. The older 2 have good agility nose touches and Poppy in particular was touching well.

If you keep your hand in the correct place for this style of training you may get points off from the judge for an unnatural hand position, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't...lol.

The hand drifting forward suits the judges but not the dogs IMO:((

I thought this was an interesting read :D couldn't help but think of RubyStar as I read it :laugh:

http://debsdogblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/ba...ple-sports.html

Great blog post :rofl: A lot of what was said made me think of me, too :rofl:

Except I don't aim for top level in stuff, I just want to try a bit of everything (hmm except maybe DWD ;)) The only exception would be obedience, I would love to compete in top level in obedience one day :o Next year I am adding tracking to my list of sports ;) I am also requesting an 8th day of the week :D

This morning I had a great little training session with Bear :thumbsup: . I've done bits and pieces with him since his arrival on Monday but today I actually made a plan and we did the name game, play, collar, play with the raccoon tail(he loves this toy :cry: ), give the toy - this one needs work :rasberry: . I'm really excited about this training journey, he's my first pup I've started with a whole lot more knowledge on positive training, it's going to be fun :laugh: .

Here's the little guy :)

IMG_3019.jpg

I thought this was an interesting read :rofl: couldn't help but think of RubyStar as I read it :mad

http://debsdogblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/ba...ple-sports.html

Great blog post :thumbsup: A lot of what was said made me think of me, too :laugh:

Except I don't aim for top level in stuff, I just want to try a bit of everything (hmm except maybe DWD ;)) The only exception would be obedience, I would love to compete in top level in obedience one day :) Next year I am adding tracking to my list of sports :cry: I am also requesting an 8th day of the week :(

Agree RS - it was an interesting read - and applies to me too. :( Jack of all trades and master of none - that's me - but having fun on the journey.

I was apologising to Kirra's breeder in Melbourne about not being able to fully bring out the potential of my little bith, and the wise breeder said "She doesn't care about titles or cards or ribbons - she just wants to have fun doing things with you." :rofl: It was such a nice thing for her to say.

I love learning about dog training stuff, and I try to apply things I've learned as best I can.

:rasberry: to the 8 days a week - just when are you waving your magic wand to make that happen?? :) Then I'll be able to spend time on the tracking and DWD that I'm adding to Rory's cart along with obedience agility and conformation - and TSD and DWD for Kirra :cry: .

This morning I had a great little training session with Bear :thumbsup: . I've done bits and pieces with him since his arrival on Monday but today I actually made a plan and we did the name game, play, collar, play with the raccoon tail(he loves this toy :cry: ), give the toy - this one needs work :rasberry: . I'm really excited about this training journey, he's my first pup I've started with a whole lot more knowledge on positive training, it's going to be fun :) .

Here's the little guy :cry:

IMG_3019.jpg

Aaaaaw! Great that you're having so much fun with your lil man. He sounds like a smart lil man too - as well as being amazingly cute. :laugh:

Boo Hoo for me tonight! Ella decided that dropping the box was the go yet again so lost 10 points there between the 2 send aways and then could not for the life her find her wood article, she went over it several times and it obviously did not smell right tonight, no trouble with the others. She ended up with 170NQ as everything else she did was sensational!!!

Boo Hoo for me tonight! Ella decided that dropping the box was the go yet again so lost 10 points there between the 2 send aways and then could not for the life her find her wood article, she went over it several times and it obviously did not smell right tonight, no trouble with the others. She ended up with 170NQ as everything else she did was sensational!!!

Bugger Nic! Sounds like everything else was great apart from those couple of things though :laugh:

I've decided that puppies and blank slates are THE BEST learning curve and THE BEST fun :p :laugh:

Don't say that! Because I totally want a blank slate with a puppy mind and can't have one for ages yet! I had a blank slate in an adult Millie which is still a great thing to work with, and I didn't have any trouble treating her like a puppy that knew nothing, when it's very easy to expect more from a dog just because they're older. But I want my next blank slate to be a puppy :)

Bear's training this morning was the 'come and go' game, so cute watching him race out to go get his treat then race back to come get another, he's such a smart little cookie :p and he loved the chicken sausage I was using :grouphug: .

I did the same game with Banjo first, WOW he was excited :grouphug::clap: , his training has been neglected of late due to my puppy brain :cry: , I was struggling to click and treat him fast enough :cry: .

Hmm I think UDX was created to turn me grey.

I have decided that my little red man is definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed :) and its a case of one step forward, 10 backwards, 3 sideways and then back to the drawing board at the moment :rofl: