Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I try not to do anything at all in the days leading up to a trial.

How many days?????

and maybe your mum would like to come for a drive tonight :laugh:

Usually two at the minimum (so no walks, no big training sessions etc). I also try to fast her 24 hours leading up to a trial.

LOL I will try all the tricks I know to get out there tonight don't you worry!!! :laugh:

Ptolomy I will give miss Lexi a pat for you :laugh:

Going back to dogs working for others- I want my dogs to work for other people, though maybe not as well. :laugh: To me and the way I think a command is a command, so if for e.g my brother who does not live with us is over and the dog rushes past him out the gate and towards the road when he gives the recall command that dog should come, and if he then says 'heel' and walks the dog up to the house that dog should stay by his side until he gets there. Having a dog that only listens to one person can be a real headache.

Going back to dogs working for others- I want my dogs to work for other people, though maybe not as well. :laugh: To me and the way I think a command is a command, so if for e.g my brother who does not live with us is over and the dog rushes past him out the gate and towards the road when he gives the recall command that dog should come, and if he then says 'heel' and walks the dog up to the house that dog should stay by his side until he gets there. Having a dog that only listens to one person can be a real headache.

I like my dogs to obey general commands, but I don't like my family members etc using my obedience commands because they stuff them up - for example giving Daisy a drive command but not getting her into drive or using her drive reward. This is another reason why I will have two lots of command words for obedience and general around the house stuff with my next dog.

Just back from a training session with a friend of mine this afternoon - I had to laugh at this whole working for other people discussion - Ness was throwing her best prancy heelwork when we had finished up and had let the dogs out for a run :laugh: .

Well basically anyone who has food..... :laugh: as evidenced the other night at agility training.... a friend had a frankfurt left over and she asked if Brookie could have it...I said to make him do something for it first. Well he is just an obedience slut!!!! :o heeling...signals anything!!!! I'm not proud :laugh:

In a lot of horse events you aren't allowed to get someone to 'tune' the horse up first which is what I assume the UK people are doing. It is considered cheating. So interesting.

Yep it is interesting - how do officials know if somebody is or isn't tuning the horse??

Does it bother you that you dog wont work for anybody else, or maybe I should be asking it is something you would keep working at??? Do you others work only for you too???

Once again I am not inferring its a good or bad thing .........just getting some thoughts happening......

Good luck Seita :laugh: sending positive vibes :happydance:

Hey Ptolomy and Seita and anyone else going to Pine Rivers tonight, I may not be able to make it :o Will try and get there but at the moment it looks like I won't have a car :laugh:

This is UNACCEPTABLE!!! LOL Hope you can make it I need a vidoe taker-er!! :o Cos we're gonna get an OC leg tonight!!! :happydance:

:laugh: at the obedience sluts. Yes, remember Ness and Kirra working together for me when I was over there. :o

I just came back from taking the dogs for a bit of a bike run. The wind finally dropped, and the rain hadn't arrived, and it wasn't so warm, so I loaded the bike onto the car and we headed for a park where I can ride on the road that goes through it. Second time with the bike for Rory, and first time for me with Rory and Kirra (used to ride with both Fergus and Kirra when we were training for ET.)

-

So proud of my dogs - they ran in their tracking harnesses, and they were PERFECT :laugh: Gaited beautifully, no tangling, no pulling, and stopped when I wanted them to (for passing cars.) We only went for about 20 minutes, including a couple of wee stops - but it's a good start. :o

Good luck at Pine Rivers tonight ladies.

It was lovely to catch up with Kathq, Seita and Huski tonight and glad to see we all made it home safe and sound. What Seita didn't mention was that all but 1 bank of lights went out 1/3 of the way into the trial which meant that all the rings were very dark. It was a lovely night for trialling and it was just wrong that I was there without a dog.

The one things I learnt tonight is that Qld is full of shitty left turns - so girls put it at the top of your list of things to practice..........

Edited by Ptolomy

This is interesting about fitness and mental fitness and warm ups.

I mostly only know about hockey and athletics people fitness stuff.

I know if I don't do much of a warmup or if the team doesn't, we tend to play like crap for the first 10 minutes or so. So we need at least 10 minutes of game speed warmup to function properly. And ideally warming up as a team, in a team environment doing something close to what we'd do in a game so mini games of left side vs right side or defence vs attack in small spaces are good as are tricky drills that force people to make accurate passes and think.

It's hard to think properly when you're knackered so sufficient fitness to survive to the end of the game still able to make good decisions is important. If you're fitter than the other team or can wear them out early, it's easier to win.

I imagine with a dog, sufficient fitness to survive 5 minutes of obedience ring is fairly easy. But how much mental fitness do they need to survive a whole day at the competition venue?

And warmup - I imagine cold muscles would be bad for both handler and dog for an agility run, so for me that would mean five to ten minutes of solid running or direction changes and alternating sprints and walks, and I'd need to be fit enough to do that without getting brain fade in the ring. I find for my dog, if I arrive late to class - she takes a break in the middle for 1s and 2s, so I'd need to make sure that was dealt with first. If she's too excited she won't. So about five to ten minutes of boring walking around the football oval usually does it. And after that I'd want to warm me up, and I figure she's much fitter than me - as far as being able to run goes... so she could come too.

Of course I don't do a ten minute run or warmup before agility training. I don't always do it before a hockey game, but I play better when I do. Get that heart rate up and muscles firing, brain working.

And what Huski said about giving the heavy duty training a rest in the days leading into the competition is popular with most (human) sports. I have heard of track athletes completely stuffing themselves by training too hard the day before and the day of the competition. A lot of the top level athletes have a whole "tapering off" regime that involves training and diet. Though I'm not sure how much of that I'd want to do, given my fitness starts to drop off if I stop for a week. And is gone if I stop for three weeks. Although a break often improves other things (co-ordination and tactics) as bad habits seem to get forgotten.

Has anybody else been following the SG blog and the link to the John Cullen website on Peak Performance. There was discussion on there about pre-ring routines in the context of agility and how little thought people seem to give to being able to provide details when asked about those performances which have been better then normal.

I found it very interesting reading.