Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

In the UK competitors often get other people to warm there dogs up - would anybody consider giving this a try before a trial and do you think it would help or hinder?

You must have lots of time on your hands today Ptolomy! Loving all these questions!! :laugh:

No I wouldn't, my dogs get trained not to go into drive for other people. But with my first dog yes, I even sent him away for a weekend of trialling with someone else cos he worked better for them than for me! But he was trained very differently to my current dogs.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the UK competitors often get other people to warm there dogs up - would anybody consider giving this a try before a trial and do you think it would help or hinder?

Poppy doesn't work for other people. She might for a couple of seconds then it is 'where is my mum'.

I have considered getting someone else to take her in the trial for me!

In a lot of horse events you aren't allowed to get someone to 'tune' the horse up first which is what I assume the UK people are doing. It is considered cheating. So interesting.

In a lot of horse events you aren't allowed to get someone to 'tune' the horse up first which is what I assume the UK people are doing. It is considered cheating. So interesting.

Yep it is interesting - how do officials know if somebody is or isn't tuning the horse??

Does it bother you that you dog wont work for anybody else, or maybe I should be asking it is something you would keep working at??? Do you others work only for you too???

Once again I am not inferring its a good or bad thing .........just getting some thoughts happening......

Yep it is interesting - how do officials know if somebody is or isn't tuning the horse??

Does it bother you that you dog wont work for anybody else, or maybe I should be asking it is something you would keep working at??? Do you others work only for you too???

Once again I am not inferring its a good or bad thing .........just getting some thoughts happening......

People dob pretty quickly if they see people doing the wrong thing. lol

Poppy is a funny little dog. She wouldn't work for the US herding instructor we had out, the instructor was very surprised. It would only worry me if I wanted someone to take her in the ring.

Brock would work for anyone. Don't think Amber would. My old boy would have but not my old girl.

With instructors taking animals I think it is good if they want to have a feel as to what is going on. Sometimes you need to take the animal to really work out what is the best approach. Taking an animal off someone to show them up, isn't good or helpful.

I asked Valley CBR to show my kids for me. I was having issues with the stands and the judge coming in and examining which was flowing over to my SFE. I tried a few things to cure the problem but if anything it got worse, so I decided the easiest option was to take myself out of the picture (and once again thanks Valley for stepping in :laugh: )

The arrangement is that Valley can go and help herself to any of my kids, she can reward the good bits, and it works well. I have asked her to use a different stand signal but I think that was about it.

A few weeks back I was chatting to one of the top WA handlers who looked up and saw her with Cider, trying to get her stand, look at her teeth and have somebody come and pat her and this handler just about went into meltdown with the fact that I was letting somebody with not very much obedience experience play with what is potentially my new bestest baby dog. Later that evening I got Cider out and worked her and she worked like she normally does for me with drive and enthusiasm.

So would others allow this - or do you believe that your dogs should only work for you?? Seita you are probably exempt because of the TID program you have done - but would others be willing to see if somebody could bring out the best in their dogs.

With instructors taking animals I think it is good if they want to have a feel as to what is going on. Sometimes you need to take the animal to really work out what is the best approach. Taking an animal off someone to show them up, isn't good or helpful.

Here here well said :laugh:

Yep I have let Ptolomy, Sue H and Gina all take Ness and she has done things that she has never managed for me :laugh: . I still chuckle at the Sue H workshop when Sue borrowed Ness to demo heeling around food on the ground. Sure sure Sue Ness heel over the top of food - pull the other one. Any way hmmm bitch (Ness that is) did it easily and then didn't want to stop heeling :D.

Same happened when I handed her to Gina during a training session over in WA - heelwork to die for and not a piece of food being used to bribe her to perform.

Edited by ness

I am learning not to have hard and fast rules as it seems to depend on the dog and the handler.

Zig won't work for anyone - perhaps because I've had to work so hard to get him to work with me. He will not show or stack happily for anyone else either.

That said, I've handled for others in a few different disciplines. I really enjoy it too :laugh:

ETA: Wow, ness, I would love to see if they could do that with Zig!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Touching on the showing comment you made Ptolomy, yes I would let someone else show my dogs even Ella but using different commands but that's different to my obedience work where alot of what I get out of Ella I think is due to both the drive training I've done but also the bond I have with her. But you've got me curious now... I want to know what she'd do if someone else took her! LOL

I have given Jedi to a friend to 'hold' before we've gone into the ring (just to tease him a little)... but I have never and would never give my dogs to someone else to warm up.

I have let others do some heelwork with Jedi but it's been very select people who I trust. He flat out refuses to work for anyone else in any discipline when I am around though, except for my OH and Shell.

Ahsoka won't work with others in obedience, but she's a TID baby. I like it that way. She will do flyball for anyone though but she does all that on her own - you just need to release and catch. :laugh:

Is this working for other people a breed thing perhaps?

Maybe a bond thing...

Jedi is highly bonded to me. He's my shadow and he won't work for others because he'd rather just be with me regardless where the food is. Keeshonds are a very 1-person breed though, so obviously there's some breed-component.

Pre-TID Soaks would work for anyone and wasn't particularly bonded to anyone. After starting TID, our bond has increased tremendously and she won't switch on for anyone else. But I have also done a fair bit of training getting her to realise that the goods come from me and nowhere else :laugh:

:laugh: yeah Ptolomy doesn't feed her kids only everybody elses :D . I have had the good fortune of working Ptolomy's kids and Bedazzledx2 Brookie and really treasured the experience it was just such good fun.

Training by yourself you get into bad habits and when somebody points them out I sometimes find it hard to work out what is happening. I find it easy to hand my dog over so that I can stand back and see what they are referring to first hand. Yes you can use video but this is even easier and yes I am now very choosey as to who I let handle my kids after a guy who I respected didn't do the right thing :laugh: