Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

The new rule for stand for exam (coming in next year) is that you need to be 750mm away from the dog so that is going to effect lead length. You don't want the lead to be tight.

Should I get a lead longer that 750mm then?

If you want to trial next year I would be. You want a nice loop in the lead so that you aren't pulling on the dog in the SFE.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

90cm is a nice length for trialling :rofl:

The new rule for stand for exam (coming in next year) is that you need to be 750mm away from the dog so that is going to effect lead length. You don't want the lead to be tight.

Should I get a lead longer that 750mm then?

It will be interesting in trialling in the new year, I have had judges in CCD tell me off for standing too far away from my dog in the SFE. Thank goodness I usually go to the end of my leash for the SFE!

Haha when I went through CCD I used a 6ft lead and always went to the end of my lead for SFE! If I ever put another dog through CCD I'll make sure I use a shorter lead!! :rofl:

I am getting more and more nervous about trialling again especially with these new rules!! Grrrr :rofl: It's so irrational, because Daisy is more than capable of working at a novice standard, I don't know why I am stressing about it. But it's not fair to compete with her when my nerves get to me so much because it puts her off :)

I am getting more and more nervous about trialling again especially with these new rules!! Grrrr :laugh: It's so irrational, because Daisy is more than capable of working at a novice standard, I don't know why I am stressing about it. But it's not fair to compete with her when my nerves get to me so much because it puts her off :thumbsup:

Maybe you need to try wine BEFORE your next trial!!! :laugh:

I'm a bit nervous about trialling tonight... got some crazy wind happening and am worried that it may cause Ella some trouble with her seekback... I guess we'll see in a few hours!

I am getting more and more nervous about trialling again especially with these new rules!! Grrrr :laugh: It's so irrational, because Daisy is more than capable of working at a novice standard, I don't know why I am stressing about it. But it's not fair to compete with her when my nerves get to me so much because it puts her off :thumbsup:

Maybe you need to try wine BEFORE your next trial!!! :laugh:

I'm a bit nervous about trialling tonight... got some crazy wind happening and am worried that it may cause Ella some trouble with her seekback... I guess we'll see in a few hours!

Where is the trial tonight?

Huski

I think you're just going to have to give yourself permission to completely butcher your first few trials, and just do it. Because that's the only way you will learn to deal with your nerves. They won't go away but you'll get better at ignoring them or putting them in an imaginary strong box in the corner of your mind and acting as if they weren't there.

At least that's what Russ Harris suggests, also Toastmasters, Rostrum and most actors that have stage fright (is that all the good ones?).

http://www.actmindfully.com.au/home

My dog isn't yet reliable at training - so you're way ahead of me. And if you watch a few trials - even the great teams have bad days. You have to be ok with that.

We've done a couple of trials, we have had some good ones and some atrocious ones where my nerves just got so bad I could barely shake the judges hand :laugh: I am hesitant to enter more until I can work out a better strategy (I am getting there) because otherwise I am setting myself and Daisy up for failure.

I have actually done a lot of public speaking and did theatre for years, I get a bit nervy before doing a speaking engagement nowadays but I really enjoy it and have no problems with speaking in front of a large group of people. So this trialling thing has me a bit baffled, I think a bit of nerves is natural but not to the point I get them (at least not for me!).

I think the other problem is that in all those other situations, I've never had to worry about anyone else but myself. When I trial, it's not just me but Daisy and the type of training I do means that she is really keyed into me and what I am doing and if I am beside myself with nerves it really affects her.

The other problem is that I am not very good at handling it if things do go badly :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

Husky are there a lot of practise trials near where you are? Do you still get nervous for the practise trials?

I would look into take Rescue Remedy or something natural to calm your nerves before hand, it really does work.

We've done a mock trial before, actually the first time we ever did a run out under trial conditions was a novice mock trial and it is still the best trial we've ever done :laugh:

I was nervous, but not as nervous I guess? I was way more nervous at our first real trial for sure!

I have a better strategy for what to do at trials now, as I have made a lot of handling mistake that probably compound the issue once we get in the ring, but I just don't really feel ready to get back in the ring. I don't know why, my dog is more than capable. I guess I still have that niggly feeling that we will fail again and as silly as it sounds, every time we fail a trial I get more and more nervous for the next one. I am not very good at dealing with it when we fail, unless it's on something silly or minor like Daisy sitting up in her down stay at in the final minute.

Edited by huski

Huski I am exactly the same. Can do public speaking no worries, but can't even walk in a trial ring. Can't even walk in a trial run through! Have very sensitive dogs so their work really suffers. It has me fairly baffled too. I did suffer trying to compete with the horses too.

I sort of freeze and almost blank out totally. I can then feel the dog go 'Mummies gone' and zone out and then I panic more.

Very frustrating as Poppy is pretty good.

That's me all over Jules!! It's sooooo frustrating. I actually better if Daisy is working well but it's a catch 22 because if I am beside myself with nerves, the chances are she won't work to her full capacity. And if one little thing goes wrong (i.e. she puts her nose down as we walk in the ring) I panic and naturally that makes it even worse!

Edited by huski

Yep that is what happens to me. We will be going along and Poppy might go wide or something and I lose the plot. The people at club have been trying to help but it is just getting worse. For some mental reason I am OK at the mid-week evening run throughs. The only real difference is the ring isn't up!

Yep that is what happens to me. We will be going along and Poppy might go wide or something and I lose the plot. The people at club have been trying to help but it is just getting worse. For some mental reason I am OK at the mid-week evening run throughs. The only real difference is the ring isn't up!

I don't have any issues at all at training. Daisy can do great run outs anywhere other than the bloody trial ring because it's the only time I lose the plot with nerves!

The last trial we did was so bad to the point where she was on fire just outside the ring, bombed when we went in, then a little while later when I took her out again and a few people, even our judge, walked by and commented on what an awesome dog she is if I can just get my nerves under control :laugh:

I think mine is to do with fear of failure. Last herding trial I decided I wanted 1 pass. Got the pass. As I walked in for my second run, my instructor told me to enjoy myself as I already had the pass I wanted. Everything pretty much went perfectly and I got a really high score and won the ring!

Are you putting pressure on yourself because you so badly want to prove that a beagle can be competitive?

Are you putting pressure on yourself because you so badly want to prove that a beagle can be competitive?

I don't know, I don't think it has anything to do with Daisy or her breed, I think I just hate failing, and it makes me feel like a bad dog owner/handler. I think I would feel the same way regardless of the type of dog I was competing with.

I don't have any issues at all at training. Daisy can do great run outs anywhere other than the bloody trial ring because it's the only time I lose the plot with nerves!

The last trial we did was so bad to the point where she was on fire just outside the ring, bombed when we went in, then a little while later when I took her out again and a few people, even our judge, walked by and commented on what an awesome dog she is if I can just get my nerves under control :laugh:

I have to wonder if it's my nerves that makes Ruby a little b!tch in the ring, lagging and being disinterested, or if it's as simple as her just being a b!tch! I am probably less nervous with Millie, and Millie stays with me. I get even more nervous with Ruby cos I just never know what stunt she is going to pull in the ring that day. I know Ruby is capable of great work, and she has pulled it off in the ring on several occasions, but lately she can't keep it together in the ring and it's affecting me even more. Like you said, catch 22 isn't it :thumbsup:

I have to wonder if it's my nerves that makes Ruby a little b!tch in the ring, lagging and being disinterested, or if it's as simple as her just being a b!tch! I am probably less nervous with Millie, and Millie stays with me. I get even more nervous with Ruby cos I just never know what stunt she is going to pull in the ring that day. I know Ruby is capable of great work, and she has pulled it off in the ring on several occasions, but lately she can't keep it together in the ring and it's affecting me even more. Like you said, catch 22 isn't it :laugh:

I am quite certain it's all me at trials. I know because I am nervous, I stuff around and make stupid handling mistakes I don't make any other time. I can take Daisy out to new places or places full of distractions and she will do perfect run outs under trial like conditions. It's just frustrating because you feel like you are letting your dog down.

Ahhh!!!! WIND!!!! What fun!!!! Be prepared for anything and good luck!!!! :D

I am getting more and more nervous about trialling again especially with these new rules!! Grrrr :D It's so irrational, because Daisy is more than capable of working at a novice standard, I don't know why I am stressing about it. But it's not fair to compete with her when my nerves get to me so much because it puts her off :)

Maybe you need to try wine BEFORE your next trial!!! :)